BEST PLACE TO WATCH WISHES FIREWORKS OUTSIDE OF MAGIC KINGDOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok as promised I went over to the Polynesian tonight and checked out the view from a variety of spots during the 12 minutes of Fireworks. I got over there about 8:30 and walked around to see what I thought it might be like. There are a lot of tarps up that really make getting around more difficult. I did not check this location but there were people sitting at tables and the end of the marina area -- not where you board the boats but where you would rent boats. It actually looked like that might be an ok view.

I then went over to the front of the Hawaii building (which actually requires going all around the back of it and then along the beach toward it. The walkways are a mess with sand/dirt and there were small construction vehichles going back and forth there in front of the building. I stood at the concierge lounge end of Hawaii at the beginning of the fireworks. BTW there were less than 50 people there (I counted) and about 4 CMs standing behind me -- they were not checking anything and two of them asked me how my evening was going. There were lounge chairs along the water but I don't do sand so I stood at the sidewalk. This area butted right up to the pool construction area that was "open" so the construction trucks could go back and forth. You can see the Castle and the fireworks here ok but it's a tight area and the music was only what you could hear coming across the lagoon. The noise from the construction trucks and beep beepng was distractiong. Here is that view:

As an aside there was definitely a family staying in that first DVC bungalow there on the end. They were back and forth in and out of the room.

Ok then I walked down to where the 01 room would be. There were people on that patio but I can't believe they could see anything but the higher fireworks.

Here's the view from 05 area:

From 10:

From the far corner of the Hawaii building (there were more people out on their balconies at this end on the third floor)

I then walked up to the point -- not sure what they call that. It had an ok view but I did not take a picture. The view was ok but you are very close to the bungalows here and it's a pretty small area.

I then walked down in front of Tahiti. Actually was surprised at the larger sidewwalks than before. Here many people were on their balocnies and watching and they really had the best view

The farther down the better and even as the sidewalk curved up and around the bulding the view was good. The music could be heard best from here also.

As Robo and Mesaboy2 will attest I have been a huge fan of viewing the fireworks from the Poly. Although there were some ok viewing spots these are far from ideal and I doubt I will make any special trips to watch from the Poly.

Also as I left walked along the sidewalk I saw two management CMs who wished me a good evening. I certainly felt welcome there.

Any questions I am happy to answer.

Liz

Thank you very much for doing this. The brightness of the lights on the bungalows combined with the obstruction of the castle itself (though it is admittedly small from this distance) together make this a much lesser experience than before in my opinion. I don't think I'll recommend it anymore.

Interesting, though not surprising, that the old rumors about restricting access to Poly Beach still have not come to be.

OK, so I need some help from the experts. We'll be stopping in Orlando in early June on our way back from the beach. I want to watch Wishes from outside the park one night. I want to have a nice view to photograph it, but I want my husband and daughter to enjoy the experience.

The last time we did this, we watched from that section of beach closest to the TTC. It gave me the most head-on view of the castle, and our daughter loved watching from a hammock.

Is that section of the beach now obstructed?

I gather the best head on (or fairly head on) view is now the TTC? I would probably do that, but don't think my husband and daughter would enjoy the atmosphere (or lack thereof) that much.

Any suggestions?

OK, so I need some help from the experts. We'll be stopping in Orlando in early June on our way back from the beach. I want to watch Wishes from outside the park one night. I want to have a nice view to photograph it, but I want my husband and daughter to enjoy the experience.

The last time we did this, we watched from that section of beach closest to the TTC. It gave me the most head-on view of the castle, and our daughter loved watching from a hammock.

I gather the best head on (or fairly head on) view is now the TTC? I would probably do that, but don't think my husband and daughter would enjoy the atmosphere (or lack thereof) that much.

Any suggestions?

I've obviously not been there myself yet, but Google Earth images dated last year strongly suggest the bungalows are (or will be) along both sections of beach. :sad2:

I've obviously not been there myself yet, but Google Earth images dated last year strongly suggest the bungalows are (or will be) along both sections of beach. :sad2:

Wow, that's really disappointing.

So I guess I'm down to the TTC or the 4th floor observation deck at CR.

Any suggestions?

The beach is small there and there are bungalows out in front but that area was what I considered the best for viewing. There are no hammocks there now. I could see the Castle and the fireworks fine. By June also the beach directly in front of the pool should be open

Liz

The beach is small there and there are bungalows out in front but that area was what I considered the best for viewing. There are no hammocks there now. I could see the Castle and the fireworks fine. By June also the beach directly in front of the pool should be open

Liz

But won't the light from the bungalows be too distracting?

Bummer about the hammocks.

Would the beach in front of the pool have any bungalows in front of it?

I really appreciate your feedback on this. The timing is perfect.

But won't the light from the bungalows be too distracting?

Bummer about the hammocks.

Would the beach in front of the pool have any bungalows in front of it?

I really appreciate your feedback on this. The timing is perfect.

Actually in front of Tahiti I did not find the bungalows as distracting. I did find the super bright Ttc/ferry area lights annoying in my peripheral view though and the ferry horn was a slight distraction. Once the bungalows are filled that may add to the distraction there.

The beach directly in front of the pool does not have bungalows in front....they start at an angle closer to the Hawaii building. My original view was right there and not bad. If I could have moved closer to the pool (all closed off) it would have been even better.

Liz

Actually in front of Tahiti I did not find the bungalows as distracting. I did find the super bright Ttc/ferry area lights annoying in my peripheral view though and the ferry horn was a slight distraction. Once the bungalows are filled that may add to the distraction there.

The beach directly in front of the pool does not have bungalows in front....they start at an angle closer to the Hawaii building. My original view was right there and not bad. If I could have moved closer to the pool (all closed off) it would have been even better.

Liz

Did you go over to the far west on Poly grounds to Luau Cove by the Aloha Show building?
There's a section of beach there, and of course it continues to stretch on west to the Wedding Pavilion at GF.

Poly-TTC-Basic_050614_zpsc1d566cb.jpg

Liz

Thanks Liz. Can you look at Robo's map in the post before this and tell me which buildings are Tahiti and Hawaii?

Did you go over to the far west on Poly grounds to Luau Cove by the Aloha Show building?
There's a section of beach there, and of course it continues to stretch on west to the Wedding Pavilion at GF.

Poly-TTC-Basic_050614_zpsc1d566cb.jpg

No but I might tonight. And then keep walking all the way to the GF. Does the luau end before the fireworks? I could really hear that right up to the beginning of the fireworks.

Liz

No but I might tonight. And then keep walking all the way to the GF. Does the luau end before the fireworks? I could really hear that right up to the beginning of the fireworks.

Liz

The 8:00 (8:15) Luau show should end around 9:40-9:55.

Last edited:
I went tonight to check out the views from the marina towards the Grand Floridian. Also wanted to see what the line was like for Trader Sams. The few people I talked to had about three hour waits.

Ok my first picture is from the center of the marina right when you come out the side door of the Grand Ceremonial House and near Trader Sams entrance. This is a pretty good view. The best thing about it tonight was the music from Trader Sam's patio stopped and very clear and loud Wishes music was piped through.

Poly marina.jpg

Next I walked behind the Fiji building and as soon as I reached the Beach area I took this picture

Poly fiji.jpg

Further down the beach in about the center of that area

Poly center.jpg

The best view was probably this next one which is standing with my back to the stage of the Luau area

Poly luau.jpg

Ok at this point here is the bad news. This view is spectacular. Lovely area. In some parts there were loungers on the beach. It was not crowded. Unfortunately the Luau was still going on loud and clear. It finished at about 10:07 and actually they were still doing introductions at that time but the music was over. So although the fireworks were beautiful the atmosphere was not so good.

My final picture was taken before I got to the wedding area. It wasn't too much past the luau that you really lose sight of the Castle all together.

Poly almost to wedding.jpg

Once you hit the Wedding Chapel and through the center of GF along side of the villas you can see some high fireworks but nothing else. I didn't get over to the good area of GF viewing until the fireworks were over so I will check that out another time.

There were no CMs out in this area. I did sit on a couch in the Grand Ceremonial building about an hour and was only greeted in a positive manner by a couple of CMs. Seemed like most of the people there were probably not resort guests of the Polynesian.

Hope this all helps...oh and as a disclaimer...the pictures were taken with my iphone without consideration of how I was framing the pic etc...IE I am not a photographer and don't enjoy it. I took the pictures so everyone could get an idea of what the view is like.

Liz

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the research work, Liz.

Thanks!

It's interesting that the Luau was still running after 10PM.
They have moved the start-time from 8PM to 8:15PM, but I figured that it would not necessarily run for
two FULL hours.
That may be the case every night, or it might not.
Maybe others who see the second Luau show of the evening will note the exact time that it ends.

Also, the Luau does not run on Sunday and Monday, so there would be no conflict with the fireworks
on those nights, regardless.

To recap- I'm trying to follow this never being there before.
We are staying at poly in August. With babies and a hubby who doesn't like fireworks and the mass exodus - I've never seen the fireworks.
I would love to see the fireworks from poly and hear the music with hubby and babies snug in their beds!
If I stand near the Marina I may be able to see the fireworks and hear Wishes?

(Thank you to Liz and Robo for the maps and updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter