• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best place to view Stars and Motorcars?

Jennie in TO

Mouseketeer
We got stuck in the Great Movie Ride last year...cause someone ahead of us fainted...and we missed the parade. Where is the best place to view it, and how early do you need to line up. The usual half hour before??

I'd suggest 30-45 minutes before the parade starts, and right near the entrance is a good spot! I love that spot and its easiest to get out of when the parade is finished! :wizard:

The parade comes out of a set of gates right beside Star Tours. If you were coming out of the gates Star Tours would be on your left, and the parade turns to the right. We were able to sit on that corner on the right, and there wasn't room for anyone to stand in front of us. When the parade ended there was a crowd, but they were going the other direction (following the parade route). We were headed over to Muppets 3D, so even though we had to navigate against the flow of people we were fine. DS got lots of high-fives and handshakes from the characters walking by, and I got some good pictures. We would definitely try to get the same spot again! :)

Do you mean it turns right at the Sorcerors hat? That sort of centre of the park place where there are character greets?

We weren't near the Sorcerer's Hat. There is an alley that runs beside Star Tours on the side where the big Imperial Walker is, but it dead ends at the gates that the parade comes through. The day we were at MGM that's where the parade started - not sure if it varies. I think we were sitting in front of a restaurant. The parade came out of the gate and immediately went right - they rope off the street in front of Star Tours so you can't continue walking straight past it. The parade comes out of the gate and turns right at the restaurant on that corner. Does that make sense?

Would that restaurant be the Sci Fi Dine In? We have 2:15 PM PS ressies there because the parade starts at 3:30 PM and I believe I read (somewhere) that the parade passes in front of , or close to, the Sci Fi. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks, Karen

30-45 minutes should be enough. However, keep in mind which side of the street you take up as the afternoon sun changes and by the time of the parade, can cause tremendous glare.

There are these half walls in front of the celebrity heads to the right of Sounds Dangerous. You can sit on the walls and no one can get infront of you. You can arrive 1/2 hour before the parade and there is usually one available.

Answers to other Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Disney-MGM Studios

I agree with QuickGold- That is a great spot and also some shade there. You can sit right under a tree on the walls if I remember right.

My family and I have sat in the same place every year. The parade comes out of the Star Tours gate, I believe. We always sit on these concrete "benches" that are in front of the different busts of Jim Henson, and many other people that I can't think of right now. I think it is in front of the "soundstage". Anyway, if you get there about 45 minutes before the parade starts you can sit on these benches with no one standing in front of you and no one can get in your way of taking pictures. Sometimes a parent might ask if their child can sit on the ground in front of you but other than that you have a clear shot of the parade and you get to sit down for a while!

We accidentally found a perfect spot. We were hot and thirsty and not even thinking of the parade when my GD refused to go another step. We sat on some benches across from 'Sounds Dangerous' while my son went and got her a soda. A cast member came by and started talking to us, telling us we had one of the best seats in the house for the parade that would be starting in about 30 minutes. We stayed there and sure enough the parade came right past us and no one was allowed to stand around us. Alot of the characters that walk in the parade came over and shook our hands and paused just a second or at least slowed down so we could take pictures. The characters in the cars waved directly at us as we were the only ones on our bench.

This may sound strange, but we sit inside the restaurant directly next to Star Tours. They have high tables and chairs. We get a seat next to the window. The parade comes out right between the restaurant and Star Tours. From our seats we can see over the heads of the people standing outside. We sit in the air conditioning, relaxing while watching the parade.

aubriee said:
We accidentally found a perfect spot. We were hot and thirsty and not even thinking of the parade when my GD refused to go another step. We sat on some benches across from 'Sounds Dangerous' while my son went and got her a soda. A cast member came by and started talking to us, telling us we had one of the best seats in the house for the parade that would be starting in about 30 minutes. We stayed there and sure enough the parade came right past us and no one was allowed to stand around us. Alot of the characters that walk in the parade came over and shook our hands and paused just a second or at least slowed down so we could take pictures. The characters in the cars waved directly at us as we were the only ones on our bench.

WOW!! That sounds great. So, to get this straight, there are benches in front of the "Sounds Dangerous" sound stage and that is where you sat? We will try for that I think!

Im looking at my MGM map, I see that Sci Fi Dine in (where we will be having lunch) is across from Sounds Dangerous, but is it (Sci Fi) across from the back of Sounds Dangerous or the front of it? When we finish lunch, will we just be able to step outside of the Sci Fi and see the parade, or will we have to get to the other side (front ) of Sounds Dangerous?

karensi said:
Im looking at my MGM map, I see that Sci Fi Dine in (where we will be having lunch) is across from Sounds Dangerous, but is it (Sci Fi) across from the back of Sounds Dangerous or the front of it? When we finish lunch, will we just be able to step outside of the Sci Fi and see the parade, or will we have to get to the other side (front ) of Sounds Dangerous?

No, the parade does not go down Commissary Lane where Sci-Fi is. I was talking about on the other side of Sounds Dangerous. When you get there you will see benches on both sides of the road in 'front' of Sounds Dangerous. The CMs want everybody sitting in that area and so no one can get in front of you. They did not use a rope, but just had enough CMs to make sure everyone stayed out of the road. Everyone was sitting either on benches or on the curbs. We sat there drinking sodas and watched the parade go by.

I think I found the best place to watch the parade (see my signature)

The restaurant we sat in front of must be the one Feralpeg is talking about. There was a bench, but it was occupied so we sat on the railing and the curb closer to the corner than the bench. There wasn't a rope, but there was some sort of line in the concrete that you had to be behind. The space was far too narrow for anyone to be in front of us. Besides, it wasn't very crowded that day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter