• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best place to take kids for Myan ruins

Bigdog2003

Earning My Ears
We are on a May Western on the Fantasy. What would be the best port to visit the Mayan Ruins with kids? Ages are 6 and 4. Also should we book through Disney or go out on our own. Also any pointers on beaches we should hit. Our ports are

Grand Cayman
Costa Maya
Cozumel
Castaway Cay

Thank you

We did this same cruise with daughters ages 14 and 12. No Mayan ruins in Grand Cayman. In Grand Cayman, we went on the Atlantis Submarine. You can do that very conveniently with Disney, or save some money by booking online directly with Atlantis submarines (do not confuse with Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas).

In Cozumel we went to Rio Secreto. There are a couple threads on here where people discuss Rio Secreto. It is an underground river tour, and it is fabulous. I don't know if your kids are old enough to go, but it was great. The logistics of getting there are tough enough that doing this one with Disney might be wise. Other people went to Mayan ruins from Cozumel and loved that as well.

We went to the Mayan ruins at Costa Maya. We enjoyed our tour very much. We once spent three days at a resort in the jungle of western Belize, touring Mayan ruins and sacred sites. Consequently, I think it speaks well of this Mayan tour that it held our interest and we learned a lot. There is not much else to do in Costa Maya, although another thread on this forum had someone mention they had a great beach day in Costa Maya.

Frankly, I think either Cozumel or Costa Maya would have a great Mayan tour. You can probably look at the other tour options and choose what you want to do, then do the Mayan tour at the other port.

We went on the Tulum ruins tour when we stopped in Cozumel last year. Great tour, and the ruins are expansive enough that we weren't twiddling our thumbs by the end of the day.

In 2006 we did a tour directly with Native Way in Costa Maya. The kids were 6 & 8, and both loved it. David, one of the owners, was our guide. It was one of the best excursions we have ever done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter