Best place to stay w 6 adults and 3 children

scw2step

Earning My Ears
Hi,
My family and I are planning a vacation for 2014 in early August. My father is retired military so hopefully that promotion will still be going on. We want to stay at either the Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, or maybe art of animation. The kids are ages 10, 6 and 3 on the trip when we leave. We like the idea of convenient transport from the two deluxes because of proximity to MK and monorail access whether it from the boat or right at hotel(WL). I am interested in any oppinions on AoA. It would certainly save money. Just wondering if it is a good idea with us having a little one who may need that nap every day. Please make any suggestions on not only resort but room types to maximize our vacation dollars. Ive kicked around some numbers but would be silly not to use you all as a resource as well.

Thanks,
Scott

Your best bet may be BLT. You could get a 2BD that has loads of space, a kitchen, washer/dryer and the convenience of a monorail resort. Plus you are in walking distance of MK. We stayed in a 2BD with family 2 years ago and LOVED it. We even had an amazing view for the garden view price...we looked out onto Space Mountain and had a side view of the castle. We watched the fireworks every night from our 2 balconies.

I would be hesitant to stay in one of the 2 bedroom villas with 6 adults. While you'd probably fit, a couple would ned to sleep in the common/ living room. If all are paying equal shares, this might be a problem. I don't know if BLT has a 3 bedroom/ grand villa but that would be an option if they do. CR has the best location to MK as you could walk, but you might also want to consider POLY as the monorail would take you to MK or EPCOT directly as the TTC is right there,

In October we stayed at BWI club level. We had 3 rooms, with 6 adults and 3 kids all under the age of 3. This is the second time going with the kids and we have found we each need our own rooms or we might end up not talking to each other and the flight home! One SIL is in the military so we took advantage of the 40% room discount and we purchased our tickets from UT last year. taking at BWI club was cheaper than basic room at the Poly. Although when the kids get a little older I'm sure we will want to stay in the MK area. Have you looked at WL? W have stayed there 3 times and love the theming and it's a great boat ride to the MK. It just didn't work for us this year with the 3 in strollers.

Contemporary has large comfortable rooms with a great location that makes it very easy to get on the monorail to MK. It's also an easy walk to MK. I would get two rooms there. the parking lot views from the garden wing rooms can often be had at a pretty reasonable price with a military discount.

The rooms at AofA will be much smaller and you will need three rooms rather than two. Three rooms might actually appeal to you, and if so then AoA is a good choice. But, keep that in mind when comparing costs (3 rooms versus 2).

With small children needing naps, Contemporary is the place to stay, IMO.

Hi,
My family and I are planning a vacation for 2014 in early August. My father is retired military so hopefully that promotion will still be going on. We want to stay at either the Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, or maybe art of animation. The kids are ages 10, 6 and 3 on the trip when we leave. We like the idea of convenient transport from the two deluxes because of proximity to MK and monorail access whether it from the boat or right at hotel(WL). I am interested in any oppinions on AoA. It would certainly save money. Just wondering if it is a good idea with us having a little one who may need that nap every day. Please make any suggestions on not only resort but room types to maximize our vacation dollars. Ive kicked around some numbers but would be silly not to use you all as a resource as well.

Thanks,
Scott

With a two bedroom villa, you have to decide which adults will be sharing the second bedroom or which two adults (or three if there is a sleeper chair) will be sleeping in the living room. I'd go with separate rooms. You won't fit in a VWL two bedroom villa because you have nine - they only sleep eight (and that's a tight fit - we are in a VWL two bedroom right now with four and it is very nice. I'd never put eight in here.)

With your requested locations, only BLT would have a two bedroom villa that would fit your party of nine. But, again, it will be tight.

You could try a CR wing room which sleeps five (and get at least two of them depending on the other four adults). Those tend to run a little less than the tower rooms at the CR.

Two big questions -

1. What are the family dynamics? All one family that is used to living together and won't mind sharing beds or rooms? 3 different families? Who goes with who? Who will be willing to share rooms and possibly beds?

2. Which parks will you be visiting the most? CR & BLT are convenient to MK but that is it. Bus service to the other parks and DTD is shared with at least one other resort in the MK area and can be frustrating. The monorail will bring you to MK or the TTC, you can transfer monorails at the TTC to get to Epcot, although it is fun it may be less convenient than just getting on one bus when dealing with tired kids and strollers. You can walk to Epcot and DHS from Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht, and the Swan & Dolphin resorts (they also have boats) - for us this is a better option than being close to MK. Of course buses for the Epcot area resorts are shared for AK, MK and DTD so that can be frustrating. AoA uses buses only but at least the bus is not shared.

i kicked around numbers last year based on my decision to go this year.
Boy was I off the mark.

Using hotel, tickets and parties--
the time came when it was time to book and I was 600. short of my estimate per room.

Why not do 2 rooms at POR? Each room can sleep 5 people. I don't know what the price difference is but it may be cheaper to have 2 rooms there than a suite somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter