• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best place for inexpensive travel sized products in Ontario?

alohamom

DIS Veteran
My DD is off to France for two weeks in June, including two days at Disneyland Paris and is using only a backpack to travel with.

I was hoping to buy her some travel sized items as a little gift.
I stopped into Shoppers Drug Mart yesterday and WOW the prices are insane!
I know WalMart carries some travel stuff, does anyone know if the prices are also stupidly expensive there?

Any ideas on where to get travel sized items that are not going to cost me 13.99 for 10ml of sunscreen?

For the price of the stuff here, I feel like getting her some Euros and telling her to just buy stuff there when she lands.
She might even need to do that as it is a full two weeks.

reusable containers for sure, you can get them from all kinds of places.
if you want to buy local, dollar store or walmart would be cheaper than shoppers
amazon would be the other option. well.ca also has some travel sized stuff that is kind of neat and sometimes different from what you can find in stores.
sunscreen is difficult, it's expensive even in smaller sizes. It may be easier to buy once she gets there. Rexall used to have some small spray sunscreens that were their brand, I liked those for travel because they had one that was mineral based and my kiddo has very sensitive skin. They were small but good in carry on.
I'd suggest things like solid shampoo, so they don't count towards the liquid limits in carryon. Garnier makes them now too (cheapest at walmart) so it's not just a specialty item.

Hi Hon
I have had some good success ordering travel sizes from well.ca and picking up at Rexall.
https://well.ca/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0O-kwcHX9wIVF2xvBB2oWgk-EAAYASACEgJ7nvD_BwE

Also Amazon has a few Burt's bee sets
https://www.amazon.ca/Burts-Bees-Essential-Everyday-Beauty/dp/B004EDWMBO/ref=sr_1_33?crid=7QB8MGADK9QF&keywords=travel+size+products&qid=1652274141&sprefix=travel+size+,aps,97&sr=8-33&th=1

Dollar Tree near me sometimes has a few good products.

I know it might seem a weird place but my Sobeys has a section for travel products ,,fairly reasonable in price.

Best wishes
Hugs
Mel

I would try the dollar store.

I’ve also started using reusable travel containers that I just put some of my usual products in. The ones you can buy now are really good.
Have you tried the dollar store?
For sunscreen I'd get a larger size anyway since she may need it. And yes, buying stuff when she lands is not a bad idea!

the Dollarstore is a good idea, thanks!

if you want to buy local, dollar store or walmart would be cheaper than shoppers
amazon would be the other option. well.ca also has some travel sized stuff that is kind of neat and sometimes different from what you can find in stores.
sunscreen is difficult, it's expensive even in smaller sizes. It may be easier to buy once she gets there. Rexall used to have some small spray sunscreens that were their brand, I liked those for travel because they had one that was mineral based and my kiddo has very sensitive skin. They were small but good in carry on.
I'd suggest things like solid shampoo, so they don't count towards the liquid limits in carryon. Garnier makes them now too (cheapest at walmart) so it's not just a specialty item.

Solid shampoo is a wonderful suggestion, thank you!

Hi Hon
I have had some good success ordering travel sizes from well.ca and picking up at Rexall.
https://well.ca/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0O-kwcHX9wIVF2xvBB2oWgk-EAAYASACEgJ7nvD_BwE

Also Amazon has a few Burt's bee sets
https://www.amazon.ca/Burts-Bees-Essential-Everyday-Beauty/dp/B004EDWMBO/ref=sr_1_33?crid=7QB8MGADK9QF&keywords=travel+size+products&qid=1652274141&sprefix=travel+size+,aps,97&sr=8-33&th=1

Dollar Tree near me sometimes has a few good products.

I know it might seem a weird place but my Sobeys has a section for travel products ,,fairly reasonable in price.

Best wishes
Hugs
Mel

Thanks for the links Mel!

I have been wanting to try those new shampoo bars. Anyone tried them and have any suggestions?
I am a tad bit sensitive to strong perfume scents though.
Right now I use Marc Anthony coco butter moisture shampoo.

Hugs Mel

I have been wanting to try those new shampoo bars. Anyone tried them and have any suggestions?

Hugs Mel
I have one I got from well.ca that is nice but I'm not sure if you are sensitive to scent you may not like it.
The benefit with the Garnier ones is they are available in stores so I'd suggest you go in and see what they smell like :) there are 4 varieties for different hair types.

I was just at a Dollar Tree today and they have tons of travel size items. Their prices have now changed from everything for $1.25 to now everything for $1.50. I haven't been in a little bit but I did manage to spend $34 there on various items. Yup don't let me out into one of those stores.

I have one I got from well.ca that is nice but I'm not sure if you are sensitive to scent you may not like it.
The benefit with the Garnier ones is they are available in stores so I'd suggest you go in and see what they smell like :) there are 4 varieties for different hair types.
Thanks Heather I'll give it a try.
Hugs Mel

I was just at a Dollar Tree today and they have tons of travel size items. Their prices have now changed from everything for $1.25 to now everything for $1.50. I haven't been in a little bit but I did manage to spend $34 there on various items. Yup don't let me out into one of those stores.
My favorite store is actually Dollar Tree,,,shhhh it's a secret.
I feel like I may spend $20-30$ but I get so much of the *me* things I want when I shop there. 🛍️ 😄
Hugs
Mel

I suggest investing in some quality (so they are durable and actually leakproof, plus not having BPA etc) reusable travel containers. Whether you gift them to her allowing her to use them again for future trips, or loan them to her and then you get them for future trips, they will get use again and again in the future. Use them for enough of the core items that she'll have them covered for arrival and however long they will last with the allowable 3-1-1 bag sizes. Since she is only traveling carry-on, if she needs more of some things she can get it locally on arrival, though she may not be able to get the brands she is used to.

For toothpaste we bought refillable tubes online - https://www.toothpaste2go.com/ and refill that; if we need a larger amount for a longer trip we buy the 100 mL size of toothpaste (eg https://well.ca/products/crest-cavity-protection-regular_33155.html ) and bring that in the 3-1-1 bag.

well.ca can be a good source of travel size items.

SW

Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) has little nalgene bottles that are great for travel and can be used over and over again for many years. The 60 ml and the tiny 30 ml size are excellent for carry-on.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-178/Wide-Mouth-HDPE-Water-Bottle

Would need to buy a membership to purchase but depends on what else you may see on the site. ps I've been a member for almost 30 yrs and sadly the general quality of all products has declined and the price skyrocketed over the decades. Was originally started by and for Cdn outdoor enthusiasts. Over the years, marketed more for trendy 20 somethings prob using Mom and Dad's credit card. Also the Cdn coop 'sold' to a US private company the other year. But the little nalgene bottles still good my rant about MEC notwithstanding.

I'd also recommend your local dollar stores. The plastic bottles can be refilled over and over again. Walmart's prices are silly - basically same price or more than a regular sized bottle - but still available.

Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) has little nalgene bottles that are great for travel and can be used over and over again for many years. The 60 ml and the tiny 30 ml size are excellent for carry-on.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-178/Wide-Mouth-HDPE-Water-Bottle

Would need to buy a membership to purchase but depends on what else you may see on the site. ps I've been a member for almost 30 yrs and sadly the general quality of all products has declined and the price skyrocketed over the decades. Was originally started by and for Cdn outdoor enthusiasts. Over the years, marketed more for trendy 20 somethings prob using Mom and Dad's credit card. Also the Cdn coop 'sold' to a US private company the other year. But the little nalgene bottles still good my rant about MEC notwithstanding.

I'd also recommend your local dollar stores. The plastic bottles can be refilled over and over again. Walmart's prices are silly - basically same price or more than a regular sized bottle - but still available.
Hmmmm
Now I know why my youngest son asked for a MEC gift card for his Birthday next week.
Lol
Hugs
Mel

Nalgene travel bottles are wonderful. And leakproof :-) They sell a couple different sets of travel kits, as well as individual bottles in different styles individually. I find they are absolutely worth the price -- did I mention leakproof ? I have some that are probably pushing 30 years old now and they still work just like new.

Nalgene apparently has a Canadian online store now though not as much selection as their US store: https://nalgenecanada.com

In addition to MEC, you can also find them at quite a few other places, especially in the travel kits. Amazon, Sportchek, and elsewhere.

I will often use larger Nalgene bottles in my checked baggage filled with a refill amount of something (eg shampoo, laundry detergent) and then have a smaller travel size in the carryon 3-1-1 bag.

For the 3-1-1 bag sometimes I prefer a container that is more squeezable than the nalegene bottles are, in which case my go-to is GoToob by HumanGear: https://humangear.ca/ They are made of silicone and have a valve and are squeezable and come in a range of sizes many of which are suitable for the 3-1-1 bag. HOWEVER, they are not suitable for all substances (read the info on the humangear website), and IMO they sometimes (rarely) do leak so I doublebag to be safe.

Humangear has a lot of other cool things too, check out their website :-) Their products are available from a range of places online from Amazon to MEC and elsewhere, so Google and price checking are your friend.

SW

Miniso stores (Miniso.ca) have some nice travel accessories including refillable bottles/containers.
I’ve gotten a few travel size refillable containers from them. They have a large selection. I also buy those small collapsible fabric storage bins for hotel room to keep my toiletries in on bathroom counter. They fold flat and very light.

Hugs Mel
My daughter loves them! She buys the shampoo bars from Lush. Not sure if they have some non scent ones.

OP- your daughter will probably have to supplement some things once there. Esp sunscreen.

Will also jump on the refillable bottle train. I have a few of the silicone ones from Dollarama and those are great for travel.

Toothpaste I never worry about because we have so many sample tubes from the dentist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter