Best nearby places to see the natural beauty of Florida?

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
We have one "extra" day that we'd like to use showing our kids some of the natural beauty in the Florida area. The Everglades are too far for a day trip unfortunately- but does anyone have any other suggestions? I found a place called Rock Springs Run that looks nice and not too far (anyone know if it's worth it?). I remember Pete MANY years ago talked about a place with a glass bottom boat ride, but I can't seem to find it. Any recommendations from locals?

Adding- I think I found the glass bottom boat place- Silver Springs? Is it worth it still?

Last edited:
I’m not from Florida, but we will be visiting WDW for the first time in Nov ‘22 and plan to take a day to visit Blue Springs State Park. Hoping it won’t be too early to see some manatees!

Here is another one ( I take it that you have a car )

Blue Heron River Tours at Hontoon Landing

2317 River Ridge Road Deland Florida 32720

Phone 386 873 4843

Take I-4 North going through Orlando ( a sight to see ) & on to Deland

It is a nearly 2 hour drive .... but Well worth it for the 1 1/2 hour pontoon boat tour to see the real Florida

And Wildlife . I think there are 2 tours per day 10 am & 1 pm

And another one

Airboat Rides at Midway on Hwy 50 at Christmas ( Yes & there is a Replica of Fort Christmas as well ) on
way to Titusville Florida 32709

Phone 407 568 6790

We love snorkeling and tubing at blue springs! We didn’t see any manatees but it was a wonderful day. We have LOVED swimming manatees at crystal river, we’ve gone twice and will go more on future trips. It’s a long day trip, but worth it. A little closer, we are planning to visit the Disney Nature Preserve on our next visit! https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-in...es-we-protect/the-disney-wilderness-preserve/

Did a manatee kayak tour at Blue Springs state park in Feb 2018. Fantastic! Saw native birds, alligators, turtles, mangroves. No manatees - it was unseasonably warm so can't complain. The guide was great so we learned so much about everything we saw.

Have not been yet, but we also plan on doing the Catboat mini speedy catamaran tour in Mt Dora sometime this year. Looks similar to the kayak tour but on steroids!

We have one "extra" day that we'd like to use showing our kids some of the natural beauty in the Florida area. The Everglades are too far for a day trip unfortunately- but does anyone have any other suggestions? I found a place called Rock Springs Run that looks nice and not too far (anyone know if it's worth it?). I remember Pete MANY years ago talked about a place with a glass bottom boat ride, but I can't seem to find it. Any recommendations from locals?

Adding- I think I found the glass bottom boat place- Silver Springs? Is it worth it still?
Silver Springs used to be a favorite and must-do for me. The place has changed, there used to be animals and attractions. The glass bottom boat is neat- the springs were used back in the day to film movies and they talk about the set pieces still in place. I don’t know if there is enough to fill a day, it’s over an hour- near Ocala. But it’s a nice, serene natural area for sure.

We have gone to Wekiwa Springs which is probably the closest to Disney and enjoyed our time there. You can swim in the springs, rent kayaks and do some hiking.

We really enjoy the wildlife drives located close by. One in Titusville and another at lake Apopka.

Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive - https://lakeapopkawildlife.us/
Black Point Wildlife Drive - https://www.fws.gov/refuge/merritt-island/visit-us

Check their schedules because they aren't open every day and Black Point can be closed in the event of a space launch. We prefer Lake Apopka, it is free. We see a lot of birds, other wildlife and usually a lot of gators. Black Point is part of the national park service and has a fee.

Sorry for chiming in late as you may have already done your day trip.

Silver Springs is where the glass bottom boats are. The park is now a Florida State Park and no longer a theme park. The boat ride is a purchased addition to the park entry ($8/vehicle).

I have been to this park many times over the years and seen its transition (I am local). The boat ride is very unique and is a must do if you never been to the park before. However, a lot of the attractions of this park were either removed or just left empty (like the zoo portion). It's a shell of its former self.

There were separate boat rides, jeep/tram rides, wild monkeys (still there, but basically not able to be seen by the glass bottom boat. You are almost guaranteed to see a couple of alligators in the river, and they are usually very large.

Is it worth it still is your question. To me, no as I've seen the previous edition. But, if you are a tourist and want to see a nature park and experience the uniqueness of the boat, then I'd say yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter