Best in-room food tips for studio kitchenettes

Sepo

11-3-2016 12:47 a.m.
Staying at Kidani studio in a few months. Obviously 1BR and larger are always preferrred; this time it's only 2 members of the family and we wanted to save the points.

Bit reassured w the report of newer Sanaa breakfast options.

Still, given that studios don't have kitchens with stoves and freezers/full refrigerators: would welcome any favorite strategies from others to maximize the resources.

What do you wish you knew or would do better next time to make the most of:

"coffee maker, toaster, microwave and mini-fridge"?

Kidani has one of THE smallest kitchenettes I think of any DVC studios and it's one of my biggest peeves and one reason why we don't want to stay there again. The sink isn't even a full bar sink - it's like the size of a bathroom basin. I could hardly even wash out the coffee pot. There is zero prep room in most studios which makes it tough. BLT has the best studio kitchenette - LOTS of space there. We only use studios and we only do breakfasts "in". Bagels and other toaster items like frozen waffles with fresh fruit like strawberries & blueberries etc. I would not plan on doing anything elaborate. There just isn't enough room at Kidani....JM2C.

I usually pack instant oatmeal for breakfast. When dining out if the portion is large and feel it will reheat well, I take it back for lunch or dinner the next day.

If I had a car I would consider a stop to purchase some snacks. Learned this from staying at Aulani. We stopped on the way to the resort and picked up some fruits, vegetables and other snacks. Great to come back to the room and have them there.

Are the grills at Kidani gas or charcoal? Grilling could be an option on night.

I bring microwave safe bowls to cook the oatmeal in, the paper bowls are just too small for me. I use the bowls for cold cereal too, for the same reason.

You can ask for more paper plates.

Also, if I forget to bring bowls, I use the ceramic cups, for me they still work better than paper bowls.

Last edited:
When we are in a studio, the only meal we plan to do is breakfast due to the limited space. We get bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit (melon, pineapple, etc.) sweet rolls, muffins and/or danish. Of couse we bring and assortment of Twinings tea for me and coffee for Sue. We also get some pretzels, granola bars to snack on after the parks.

At least 1 day, we always get the giant cinnamon rolls to go from Gaston's (they have plastic clamshells), but you have to get a free large merchandise bag from a store.
And then warm them up the next am...much better than pop-tarts ;)

Of course coffee and coffee filters.

I'm not sure this is a "tip" but we book two contiguous reservations and request to be in the same room for each reservation. Then, we get the dining plan for the 1st reservation. We bring the leftovers back to the room and eat those for the last 1/2 of our stay. It takes care of a lot of our food for the second half.

DW usually makes a one pot meal:
Stew
Soup
Lasagna
As we usually stay in studios, these work out great for reheating in the microwave. We sometimes will eat breakfast out and then depending on what we are doing that day either lunch or dinner in the room every day.

Last year we stayed in a studio 5 nights for a last minute vacation and since we fly SW I packed a couple of ready to heat and eat food. I bought some tamales and some other Mexican dishes from a Mexican restaurant and froze them , put in large ziplock bags and put it in our check in luggage. We eat and love to eat at some of the CS and TS restaurants ,but we miss homemade Mexican food after a few of those meals. We had a car so we stopped at Costco and Sams and bought meatloaf and mash potatoes and we used the micro to heat it up, they have other stuff that you can just heat in the micro. We also take a foldable little cooler to use for milk, juices, etc that we keep full of Ice , that way, we make room for the food in the little fridge. I hope this helps

I took a pound of frozen bacon and a bag of mandarin oranges in my carry-on. The bacon is fine until you get into your room and it into the frig. I took a microwave omelet maker in my luggage. upload_2017-9-6_14-39-39.jpeg Microwaved the bacon in that. Wiped out excess fat with paper towels, then scrambled eggs in the container and microwaved them. Eggs, bacon, and an orange so easy. I bought bread, eggs, and milk at resort store. I also brought other snacks in checked luggage. A big breakfast with protein really cuts the "I'm HUNGRY and NEED to eat" and satisfies long into afternoon. I also like to take cheese sticks, and buy V-8 at resort store, but not all carry V-8.
An afternoon snack, maybe shared between you or something you bring in a park bag, will tide you over to dinner, and that way you only need 2 meals a day. A big breakfast in your room, and a dinner out, with a snack in afternoon, and maybe another late in the evening, or before bed. So many fun things to try at WDW.

Last edited:
There are charcoal grills by the sports courts at Kidani, if you would like to go big and grill steak, etc.

We're going to be in a Jambo studio in February, here's a few of our ideas:

• Bagels, Toast, Waffles
  • BLT (pre-cooked bacon strips in microwave, toast some bread)
  • PBJ
  • Ham & Cheese
  • Fruit & Veggies
  • Cheese, Pepperoni & Crackers
We don't like Hot Dogs, but that's an option. I've heard you can make it in the coffee pot. Also you can probably zap a potato in the microwave.

Don't forget there are grills outside, too.

I took a pound of frozen bacon and a bag of mandarin oranges in my carry-on. The bacon is fine until you get into your room and it into the frig. I took a microwave omelet maker in my luggage. View attachment 267632 Microwaved the bacon in that. Wiped out excess fat with paper towels, then scrambled eggs in the container and microwaved them. Eggs, bacon, and an orange so easy. I bought bread and milk at resort store. I also brought other snacks in checked luggage. A big breakfast with protein really cuts the "I'm HUNGRY and NEED to eat" and satisfies long into afternoon. I also like to take cheese sticks, and buy V-8 at resort store, but not all carry V-8.
An afternoon snack, maybe shared between you or something you bring in a park bag, will tide you over to dinner, and that way you only need 2 meals a day. A big breakfast in your room, and a dinner out, with a snack in afternoon, and maybe another late in the evening, or before bed. So many fun things to try at WDW.

Did a quick trip with just my two kids this summer and I had not stayed in a studio in over ten years (we usually do a 2br and a garden grocer order). I did the same as above, the microwave omelet maker is not that bad. I bought cheese/eggs/milk/ cream in the resort store and packed a bunch of dry stuff in my suitcase including precooked bacon and tons of snacks for the kids.

i doubt the next person using that iron would want you to, either :smooth:
i doubt the next person using that iron would want you to, either :smooth:

Of course the food is wrapped in foil or parchment ... No need to sacrifice the iron for your dining!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwich-With-an-Iron/

FBHKD5RIVO3BN41.MEDIUM.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter