Best double stroller to purchase ahead of skyliner resort trip?

NurseJamie

Mouseketeer
Hi!
We're traveling with my 4 and 2 year old sons in a few weeks and have been debating the single/double & purchase/rental stroller situations. We've landed on buying a new double stroller for our trip and then gifting it to my pregnant sister when we get back for her growing family (she is OK with this, it's her third baby and she doesn't mind us using it first lol).

We'll be staying at AoA and I've read that if you have a tandem double stroller, you can roll right on the skyliner without having to collapse the whole thing, but you still have to fold it up on buses to MK/AK/DS. Did anyone have a double stroller they loved that was convenient for both means of travel around the parks?

Also - my boys are corn-fed so this thing needs to have at least a 90lb weight limit lol. We'll be using this to get through the airport as well so it needs to be sturdy enough to survive being gate checked.

Any tips/stroller storage accessories/ways to make your stroller stand out from the sea of parked strollers around the park are greatly appreciated. This is our first WDW trip as parents and we always traveled light before. Any pro parent hacks would be very appreciated! Thank you all for the help!

Double BOB, it rolls super easy, can roll right onto the skyliner, can fit three kids if needed (one sitting over the front wheel), has storage space underneath, relatively easy to fold and carry on the bus, and lasts forever.

Double BOB, it rolls super easy, can roll right onto the skyliner, can fit three kids if needed (one sitting over the front wheel), has storage space underneath, relatively easy to fold and carry on the bus, and lasts forever.
That's a side-by-side, isn't it? Or does BOB have a tandem (front-back) style as well?

I've rented the Double Bob and the Double City Mini. I much preferred the City Mini. It's a one hand fold. But they are both side by side, so they can't just roll onto the skyliner.

ETA: I own the single City Mini and have gate checked it. But I've never owned a double, so I have no real world experience with a double stroller.

Last edited:
I have 5 kids and went through many strollers. Side by side all of the way, I had a tandem with my first 2, gave it away and got side by side (actually several) for the rest of them.

I'm sorry no one is actually reading your post and understanding what you're asking. I'll see if I can help. Our son and DIL bought a Baby Trend Sit & Stand stroller for our trip to Disney in 2022. Their children were 6 mos and 5 years old at the time. It worked really well for them. They could easily roll it on the Skyliner and it was easy to fold up for the buses and storage in the room. They kept all of their "stuff" in a backpack that fit nicely in the bottom of the stroller so when they had to fold it up, one of them grabbed the baby and the backpack while the other one folded the stroller. I believe it's considered a 1-hand fold, but in order for that to really work, you have to collapse it down to the ground and then pick it up. If you use 2 hands, you can keep it vertical during the folding process. The 5 yo was in and out of her seat on the stroller about 30 times a day (she actually walked more than he rode) so it was nice that she could do that on her own -- no one had to lift her in and out, they just stopped pushing the stroller for a second and she hopped on or off. I pushed the stroller a few times during the week and found it easy to maneuver.

Last edited:
I'm sorry no one is actually reading your post and understanding what you're asking. I'll see if I can help. Our son and DIL bought a Baby Trend Sit & Stand stroller for our trip to Disney in 2022. Their children were 6 mos and 5 years old at the time. It worked really well for them. They could easily roll it on the Skyliner and it was easy to fold up for the buses and storage in the room. They kept all of their "stuff" in a backpack that fit nicely in the bottom of the stroller so when they had to fold it up, one of them grabbed the baby and the backpack while the other one folded the stroller. I believe it's considered a 1-hand fold, but in order for that to really work, you have to collapse it down to the ground and then pick it up. If you use 2 hands, you can keep it vertical during the folding process. The 5 yo was in and out of the her seat on the stroller about 30 times a day (she actually walked more than he rode) so it was nice that she could do that on her own -- no one had to lift her in and out, they just stopped pushing the stroller for a second and she hopped on or off. I pushed the stroller a few times during the week and found it easy to maneuver.
I didn’t misunderstand. However, I wouldn’t buy a brand new stroller on the basis of the skyliner, especially if it’s going to be gifted and used for years. Side by side are so much more pleasant to push! Now if renting or borrowing, my response would be different.

I didn’t misunderstand. However, I wouldn’t buy a brand new stroller on the basis of the skyliner, especially if it’s going to be gifted and used for years. Side by side are so much more pleasant to push! Now if renting or borrowing, my response would be different.

Sorry for not realizing you understood what she was asking for. Everyone just seemed to be suggesting side-by-sides without addressing that she specifically mentioned taking it on Skyliner. I offered my suggestion and obviously we all have different opinions. When I had a double stroller for my kids I much preferred the tandem style. And while someone gifted me a used side-by-side, I found it a pain to maneuver in many places (never used it at Disney -- but did at a few other amusement parks), difficult to fold, and took up a ton of space even when folded. While I appreciated the gift (it was given to me with the comment of "See if you like this stroller. I'm finished with it. If it doesn't work for you, feel free to sell it or give it away."), after several months I passed it on to someone else and bought a brand new tandem style double stroller that I knew I would only use for 6-9 months tops, but it was worth every penny. I'm the type of person who *would* buy a specific type of stroller that I knew would work well at Disney even if I was only going to use it for one trip and then pass it on to someone else. Obviously not everyone is like that.

Hi!
We're traveling with my 4 and 2 year old sons in a few weeks and have been debating the single/double & purchase/rental stroller situations. We've landed on buying a new double stroller for our trip and then gifting it to my pregnant sister when we get back for her growing family (she is OK with this, it's her third baby and she doesn't mind us using it first lol).

Family with 1yo, 3yo and 7yo
Last trip we stayed at Riviera and used the skyliner extensively.
I would NEVER take a side by side stroller on a trip that you will be going on the sky liner. Taking the kids out of the stroller and folding it up at each stop would be a huge pain. The tandem stroller works excellent for skyliner trips. The kids then choose if they want to stay in their seat or get out.
We have a Baby Jogger City Select Lux tandem with a glide board in the back for the 7yo. The stroller is super heavy duty, superbly engineered, and has tons of under seat storage and the frame is strong enough to attach heavy duty hooks and bags. I also use this stroller as a luggage dolly at the hotel. This stroller however is not good for BUS rides, it is very heavy and cumbersome to fold up. For our family it works great because we don’t usually do buses.
So if you are needing a stroller for both skyliner and bus i would definitely keep your search for a tandem that is lightweight.
We also prefer the tandem because pushing a side by side stroller in a crowded magic kingdom park is mentally exhausting.

I've rented the Double Bob and the Double City Mini. I much preferred the City Mini. It's a one hand fold. But they are both side by side, so they can't just roll onto the skyliner.

ETA: I own the single City Mini and have gate checked it. But I've never owned a double, so I have no real world experience with a double stroller.
The double bob fits through a standard width door, it will roll on and inbetween the seats of the skyliner.

I loved my Graco Ready to Grow stroller, aka, sit and stand. My kids are now 17 and 14 and I still think fondly of it...

I'm sorry no one is actually reading your post and understanding what you're asking. I'll see if I can help. Our son and DIL bought a Baby Trend Sit & Stand stroller for our trip to Disney in 2022. Their children were 6 mos and 5 years old at the time. It worked really well for them. They could easily roll it on the Skyliner and it was easy to fold up for the buses and storage in the room. They kept all of their "stuff" in a backpack that fit nicely in the bottom of the stroller so when they had to fold it up, one of them grabbed the baby and the backpack while the other one folded the stroller. I believe it's considered a 1-hand fold, but in order for that to really work, you have to collapse it down to the ground and then pick it up. If you use 2 hands, you can keep it vertical during the folding process. The 5 yo was in and out of the her seat on the stroller about 30 times a day (she actually walked more than he rode) so it was nice that she could do that on her own -- no one had to lift her in and out, they just stopped pushing the stroller for a second and she hopped on or off. I pushed the stroller a few times during the week and found it easy to maneuver.
The BabyTrend sit and stand is a beast to push (we call it "the bus" lol), but I definitely prefer tandem doubles to side-by-sides, especially for the Skyliner to avoid folding, and when going through crowds. Plus it has a 100 lb weight limit. And my kids tended to invade each other's space in a side by side. Bob strollers can be a pain to fold up so we preferred our BabyTrends to a Bob for Disney buses. When our kids were 4 and 2, we took 2 single strollers and were able to easily get on and off the Skyliner in the same car and didn't have to fold. Now we bring a single Bob with a Junior X rider seat attached, but I've heard since that they are technically not allowed? Because they are considered a trailer? But no one has ever said anything to us, as the attached seat is in front of the person pushing the stroller. This was actually our favorite option if we don't have to take the buses thanks to the excellent maneuverability and turning radius. But if you are open to 2 singles, we found our 2nd BabyTrend jogger for $25 at the thrift store and it had a 50 lb weight capacity.

The double bob fits through a standard width door, it will roll on and inbetween the seats of the skyliner.
Im pretty close to a former Skyliner cast member, all side by side strollers must be folded. Doesn’t matter if someone is sleeping in it, it’s packed full of bags. If it’s a side by side it must be folded. If you attempt to push a side by side on, the Skyliner will stop. Side by side strollers are a safety concern and they will not let them on. The former cm I know was actually spit on by some lady, on his back, didn’t even have the cahoonzies to do it to his face because she insisted it was going on. Well, let’s just say she didn’t have the rest of her magical vacation. ( or any other Disney vacation). The mouse takes his safety very seriously and cms can not bend the rules. They also have heard them all, his favorite is, well the guy at the other station let me on, well if he did, most likely that guy won’t be with the company much longer.
Single and double in line strollers are fine, they can be push right on. Even had one got so mad the husband, I assume, yelled, “ fine!! we’ll take a bus!! “
My friend only wished he could have been at the bus stop at Studio’s when he figured out the only bus to Caribean Beach was to go to Springs first. ( if the skyliner is operating, there is no bus) and the look on his face when the bus driver tells him to fold the stroller to get on the bus.
It’s all safety, they dont do it to make your life difficult and the person telling you is just doing their job which bending a safety rule will get you in a lot of trouble.
There is a stroller that you don’t have to fold, you pop off the one seat and it slides together into a one seater. Don’t know the name but they look expensive.

Last edited:
Get a good consensus of whether the side by side needs to be folded or not. I have heard a lot saying they had to fold it.
And when you fold it, what you didn’t take out, water bottle, popcorn, snacks, you name it, falls onto the platform. While everyone in the party loaded into a cabin, which the cabin is moving, the person trying to handle the stroller is trying to collect what fell out. If it falls into the pit ( the area where the cabin moves) nobody can retrieve it till after closing. So, it’s late, kids have just been woken up, everyone is tired and now the skyliner is stopped, party is in one cabin, kids crying, and your trying to pick up what fell on the platform and you notice your cell phone has fallen into the pit. There are three thousand people behind you waiting to get on, who incidentally are as tired as everyone else. It’s not pretty from what I’ve been told. Not to mention, a double stroller isn’t light and even folded are hard to get into a cabin. A lot of people perform the task without hitch and a lot of them have it down to a science but sometimes…. You just run out of hands. Some people will bring two single strollers, Easy to handle in the parks, can move easily and (here’s a little tip) two adults, two, three kids, bags and two single strollers, your chance of riding by yourself during the busy times have just increased. Nobody has to get out of the stroller and everyone is a lot happier.
My friend has seen single strollers get dumped over and child on the platform about a foot away from a 1400 pound moving cabin because someone didn’t aim the stroller onto a moving platform. It don’t matter how big you are or how strong you think you are, you will not physically stop a moving cabin. While in a station, that cabin is being pushed by huge electric motors, on non bending steel next to unforgiving concrete.
My close friend could write a book.

Last edited:
You did not ask but we went with two small travel size (TSA carryon) strollers instead of double. Idea is kids are different age and one may slow the other down. Wife and I can push less weight, I do not have to battle door jams, easier to navigate the EV clogs, easier to fold up and carry, and sometimes I just need one stoller for the tired kid. Basically felxibility and the ability to more easily navigate transportation. skyliner is easy still....

granted one large hummer vehicle that allows for tons of stuff and one person pushing may be easier but something we hated in reality. Just an idea in case it sounds reasonable.

Colugo is the stroller, it folds with one hand, integrated rain cover which is key, and has umbrella like features but more stable. One stoller has been in WDW parks and resorts for a total of 46 days and nothing broke. It will return again for our next trip and folds up into my lap even on a bus if needed.

Family with 1yo, 3yo and 7yo
Last trip we stayed at Riviera and used the skyliner extensively.
I would NEVER take a side by side stroller on a trip that you will be going on the sky liner. Taking the kids out of the stroller and folding it up at each stop would be a huge pain. The tandem stroller works excellent for skyliner trips. The kids then choose if they want to stay in their seat or get out.
We have a Baby Jogger City Select Lux tandem with a glide board in the back for the 7yo. The stroller is super heavy duty, superbly engineered, and has tons of under seat storage and the frame is strong enough to attach heavy duty hooks and bags. I also use this stroller as a luggage dolly at the hotel. This stroller however is not good for BUS rides, it is very heavy and cumbersome to fold up. For our family it works great because we don’t usually do buses.
So if you are needing a stroller for both skyliner and bus i would definitely keep your search for a tandem that is lightweight.
We also prefer the tandem because pushing a side by side stroller in a crowded magic kingdom park is mentally exhausting.
I agree, we also have a City Select with glider board and have really liked it for the parks. It works great on the Skyliner. Side by side strollers need to be folded for the Skyliner. We’ve brought our side by side when not staying at a Skyliner resort, and we really missed our City Select. It’s more work to fold up the tandem and hold it on the bus for sure, but we usually rent a car and don’t deal with the buses.

If you get a stroller with inflatable tires and you fly with it, be forewarned that the airlines may deflate the tires a bit for the flight. Not totally flat, just a bit so they don't explode during the flight. I had this happen and we couldn't figure out why the tires were so low. We stopped at the wheel chair rental place at MK and they were able to inflate the tires. They are also the ones that told us about the airlines deflating the tires for the flight. It totally made sense, but I just wasn't aware of that practice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter