Best Disney Member discount benefits and perks? (Annual Pass, DVC, D23 Gold, Visa Card, etc.)

TornadoTitan

Biggest Nick Wilde Fan!
For those of you who have different Disney memberships, notice one having a lot more benefits and perks?

I got a D23 Gold Membership for D23 Expo and was hoping to take advantage of it at my WDW trip last week, but found very few places on property and at the parks took it, even stores listed on the D23 discount/benefits page. The few Disney stores I showed my card to and took it, treated it like an Annual Pass, while some completely looked at me like I made up some type of fake card. I noticed there were some pins I could only buy as a D23 member while there were some only AP and DVC members could buy. I doubt I will renew my D23 membership as I saw really no perks that justify the cost, but might look into other memberships in the future.

So for those of you who are longtime D23 members or have AP, DVC, the Disney Visa, see any good benefits from them or upset that there weren't as much perks as initially expected?

I have been happy with my AP perks, but I don't buy the AP for the perks because Disney can change them at any time, and with no notice. The same could happen with any of the memberships you mention (with the exception perhaps of DVC - there may be some contractual obligations they can't change on a whim, but I would guess things like discounts on tickets, dining and merchandise wouldn't fall under those obligations). So I wouldn't buy something for the perks - buy it because it fulfills a need outside the perks (i.e., AP giving admission to the park at a discounted rate).

I have a D23 membership, a Disney Visa and an AP. AP's always have the best discounts, but, of course, you have to make a fairly large investment to purchase one and then make sure you take advantage of the AP which means spending more money and going to WDW more often. So, if you aren't going to WDW enough to justify the purchase, the AP isn't going to save you any money - in fact, it may cost you!

If you want a cheaper way to get discounts (in other words, you have no use for an AP), the Disney Visa may be the way to go. I have the premier card which has a $49 annual fee. The premier card racks up more points and I charge EVERYTHING to it and then always pay the entire balance at the end of the month. Points can be applied to anything purchased at Disney including reservations or you can use them toward the purchase of flights (with no blackout dates. The flights don't even have to be going to Orlando or Anaheim, etc.). I had enough points in August to purchase our MNSSHP tickets, so it kind of felt like we went for free! Points in addition to the small discounts you get (smaller than AP discounts) is a win for us. I've already used some points toward our flights in December.

D23 is more of a fan club. You are really only paying for the privilege to be in the club, get the magazines, go to the events, etc. It is definitely not a way to get good discounts. I did get a discount at the Mandarin Spa at the Dolphin once, though. They had never even seen the card before when I showed it to them! But I did get the discount.

I know nothing of DVC discounts. They are probably very good, but, boy, you have to make a BIG investment to get those, LOL!

I have a D23 membership, a Disney Visa and an AP. AP's always have the best discounts, but, of course, you have to make a fairly large investment to purchase one and then make sure you take advantage of the AP which means spending more money and going to WDW more often. So, if you aren't going to WDW enough to justify the purchase, the AP isn't going to save you any money - in fact, it may cost you!

If you want a cheaper way to get discounts (in other words, you have no use for an AP), the Disney Visa may be the way to go. I have the premier card which has a $49 annual fee. The premier card racks up more points and I charge EVERYTHING to it and then always pay the entire balance at the end of the month. Points can be applied to anything purchased at Disney including reservations or you can use them toward the purchase of flights (with no blackout dates. The flights don't even have to be going to Orlando or Anaheim, etc.). I had enough points in August to purchase our MNSSHP tickets, so it kind of felt like we went for free! Points in addition to the small discounts you get (smaller than AP discounts) is a win for us. I've already used some points toward our flights in December.

D23 is more of a fan club. You are really only paying for the privilege to be in the club, get the magazines, go to the events, etc. It is definitely not a way to get good discounts. I did get a discount at the Mandarin Spa at the Dolphin once, though. They had never even seen the card before when I showed it to them! But I did get the discount.

I know nothing of DVC discounts. They are probably very good, but, boy, you have to make a BIG investment to get those, LOL!

+1 for Disney Visa! My wife and I both use this card and like PP said charge "everything" to it! (just not things that involve a service fee)

We had enough points for our last trip for a Victoria & Albert's dinner and some other restaurants. We saved points for a few years to get enough to make that a possibility. Without those points, we probably never would have been able to afford that sort of excursion during a vacation, or at least we wouldn't have spent the money out of pocket. Our next trip is in March 2018 and there are also spa discounts we plan on taking advantage of which will use most of our accumulated points. I think most people would prefer to go this route as it doesn't really require you to spend any extra money if you don't need an AP and you get points for things to do every day. You also get small merchandise and dining discounts when you show the card (has to be the physical card). Too bad V&A doesn't offer any discounts. lol

For those of you who have different Disney memberships, notice one having a lot more benefits and perks?

I got a D23 Gold Membership for D23 Expo and was hoping to take advantage of it at my WDW trip last week, but found very few places on property and at the parks took it, even stores listed on the D23 discount/benefits page. The few Disney stores I showed my card to and took it, treated it like an Annual Pass, while some completely looked at me like I made up some type of fake card. I noticed there were some pins I could only buy as a D23 member while there were some only AP and DVC members could buy. I doubt I will renew my D23 membership as I saw really no perks that justify the cost, but might look into other memberships in the future.

So for those of you who are longtime D23 members or have AP, DVC, the Disney Visa, see any good benefits from them or upset that there weren't as much perks as initially expected?

Where did you manage to get a discount? Did any of the stores in the parks offer D23 discount?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter