Best Day to Fly to Hawaii?

DisneyMimiUSMC

Mouseketeer
We're trying to figure out our flights to Hawaii in October. I'm not sure if I should book airfare first or Aulani? And what are your thoughts on the best day to fly? We are hoping to fly nonstop from BOS. Thanks!

We're trying to figure out our flights to Hawaii in October. I'm not sure if I should book airfare first or Aulani? And what are your thoughts on the best day to fly? We are hoping to fly nonstop from BOS. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure the only option to fly non-stop BOS-HNL is Hawaiian Airlines, so check out their website. When I was looking for Feb 2024, they didn't have flights everyday so you might want to look at their flight schedules before booking Aulani.

We always book mid-week because it is less expensive.

We generally book the room 1st @ 11m and then adjust if the flight prices are materially higher or lower by a day or so.

We always book mid-week because it is less expensive.

We generally book the room 1st @ 11m and then adjust if the flight prices are materially higher or lower by a day or so.
So we can modify our dates without penalty? I've never had to modify a points stay before.

I'm pretty sure the only option to fly non-stop BOS-HNL is Hawaiian Airlines, so check out their website. When I was looking for Feb 2024, they didn't have flights everyday so you might want to look at their flight schedules before booking Aulani.
Yup, the direct flights are limited. I see one going out, but not coming back.

I just booked the flights and I am aghast at how expensive it was to fly from BOS. Oof! Thank goodness we are only planning on doing this biannually. We are big points/miles people and I thought we'd be able to use our points to do this, but nope! Looks like we'll be signing up for a Hawaiian CC to start earning there! 😂

@DisneyMimiUSMC I don't track flights to/from BOS - but I will say our Alaska card has been great about getting us to the Islands. We used our 2 companion fares and our mileage perk to pay for 3 legs of our last 2 week trip. While a non-stop is nice compare the costs to fly to LAX then to the Islands too. But bottom line flight costs have gone up for a numerous reasons, and not coming down any time soon.

@DisneyMimiUSMC I don't track flights to/from BOS - but I will say our Alaska card has been great about getting us to the Islands. We used our 2 companion fares and our mileage perk to pay for 3 legs of our last 2 week trip. While a non-stop is nice compare the costs to fly to LAX then to the Islands too. But bottom line flight costs have gone up for a numerous reasons, and not coming down any time soon.
If we had more time to work with, I would've broken it down to segments to take advantage of free flights via points on Southwest. Unfortunately we only have exactly 14 days to work with, so direct on Hawaiian was our best option.

@DisneyMimiUSMC - I hear ya sometimes just gotta bite the bullet. Enjoy your trip. We spent 2 weeks in Maui over Christmas, no island hopping this trip, and loved it. We're working on Christmas this year for the same trip now.

I fly direct BOS from/to HNL annually in August. I check out the Hawaiian Airlines flight schedule before booking with DVC points since the flight schedule is ready around the 11-month mark. To maximize my paid time off, I book flights on weekends, which must be direct. Direct flights are not every day to and from BOS on Hawaiian Airlines. Historically, I noticed the flights are cheaper to book in January and March but more expensive in December and February.

I just booked the flights and I am aghast at how expensive it was to fly from BOS. Oof! Thank goodness we are only planning on doing this biannually. We are big points/miles people and I thought we'd be able to use our points to do this, but nope! Looks like we'll be signing up for a Hawaiian CC to start earning there! 😂
Hawaiian usually has a great deal for their credit card on the flights. If you get a sign up form onboard you get 60000 miles after your first purchase. No minimum spend. We were offered the deal in 2019 and 2022.

If we had more time to work with, I would've broken it down to segments to take advantage of free flights via points on Southwest. Unfortunately we only have exactly 14 days to work with, so direct on Hawaiian was our best option.
It's much more comfortable to be on a wide-body jet with meal service than narrow-body jets with peanuts and pretzels. Even with breaks, you don't want to fly 11 hours (combined) on a Southwest 737.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the cheapest day to fly, and weekends will probably be the most expensive to Hawaii. If you're willing to leave Aulani Sunday evening and get home Monday morning, you'll save a good bit on airfare.

Do some comparison shopping on those travel sites like 'google flight search' or Orbitz. You can easily compare flights/times/connections/prices. Non-stop is different from a 'direct' flight though I often see people using the terms interchangeably. Non-stop means you go from point A to B without stopping. Direct flight means you go from A to B but it MIGHT involve stopping somewhere without having to change planes. Honestly, if flying from Boston, having a stop somewhere isn't a bad idea to break up such a long flight and get a chance to stretch your legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter