Best Canadian deal for DS? Or ipods?

I have been reading some of the early release BF flyers that tend to get leaked and to be honest there aren't that many deals. Many stores are allready running deals that are very close if not better than many of the BF deals for electronics.

BB BF deals
http://formatwarcentral.com/2008/11/21/best-buy-black-friday-blu-ray-deals/

I've been getting the BF ads to my email inbox for the last few weeks, and really....there's nothing. The only bargain that I have seen is a 42" Polariod 1080p LCD for $597. Besides that everyone has basically the same things very basic laptops for $399 and GPS' for $95. Then there is the usual stuff....DVD's and blank media.

Not worth the bother this year.

I've read good things on the Budget board about buying refurbs thru Apple - has anyone done this? It would be a great stocking stuffer to get a low priced refurb shuffle.

I just looked at the refurbs from the Apple Canada site and the price reduction was so slight that I would prefer to spend the extra $20 for a new one.

Ok now we are thoroughly confused!!
We went to the apple store in Sherway yesterday and were playing with the different ipods - we are sold on replacing the 80g classic for the 16g touch for our 14.5yo - he's even willing to use his paper route money to pay for the difference.
Dh was playing with the nano also as that's what we were going to get our 9yo for Cmas since he's asking for an ipod - after playing the games and looking at the features of the touch we are confused about which one to get him - spend $160 for the nano or $250/$300 and get him a whol lot more - games, music, internet. Dh says touch..... I say he's too young for a touch and to stick with a nano for now. Sigh..... what to do!?!?

My DD10 who just turned 10 is the master of my iPhone.

She regularly uses it as a gaming device. I think that age is not the only factor to consider when purchasing electronics, ability and responsibility is also factor.

Your 9 year old will love the games, music and Wifi the iPod Touch offers.

Ok now we are thoroughly confused!!
We went to the apple store in Sherway yesterday and were playing with the different ipods - we are sold on replacing the 80g classic for the 16g touch for our 14.5yo - he's even willing to use his paper route money to pay for the difference.
Dh was playing with the nano also as that's what we were going to get our 9yo for Cmas since he's asking for an ipod - after playing the games and looking at the features of the touch we are confused about which one to get him - spend $160 for the nano or $250/$300 and get him a whol lot more - games, music, internet. Dh says touch..... I say he's too young for a touch and to stick with a nano for now. Sigh..... what to do!?!?

Just me...... but I think that it's way to extravagant a gift for a 9yo. Where does it go from there? How about the $49 shuffle?

In terms of the DS... watch the Days of Deals at Dell.ca
Last year they had a crazy cheap bundle that blew away the competition, but it sold out very quickly. Even this weekend they had games on sale, and compared to EB and the likes - Dell was by far the cheapest and had free shippng.

Just me...... but I think that it's way to extravagant a gift for a 9yo. Where does it go from there? How about the $49 shuffle?

$49 Shuffle is fine if you just want it for just for music.
The iPod Touch does so much more. And as stated earlier it depends on the 9 year old.

iPod touch is cheaper/close in price than some skates and sticks.

$49 Shuffle is fine if you just want it for just for music.
The iPod Touch does so much more. And as stated earlier it depends on the 9 year old.

iPod touch is cheaper/close in price than some skates and sticks.

Ham Ham that is such a great Canadian comparison, eh?
Gotta love it!! Skates and sticks!!!

I've been getting the BF ads to my email inbox for the last few weeks, and really....there's nothing. The only bargain that I have seen is a 42" Polariod 1080p LCD for $597. Besides that everyone has basically the same things very basic laptops for $399 and GPS' for $95. Then there is the usual stuff....DVD's and blank media.

Not worth the bother this year.

Yep the deals so far this year are few and far between not even worth the bother of getting up early to drive over to Port Huron for anything..

As for the comments on the extravigant gifts DDS posted our 6 and 7 yeaar olds are getting 8 gig nono's for x mas and last x mas they got digital cameras they are also getting a DS each. I wouldn't bother with anything more than a Nano for the kids though not even my wife has anything else even our 12 year old has just got a nano for her use.

Hoping we didn't make a mistake - we just ordered a 16g ipod touch from apple refurbished for $239 and an older 8g nano for dh for $109 - they both come with the 1 yr warranty like the new ones so I'm hoping everything will be ok with them!!

ETA - not sure at this point if the touch is going to be for me or the 9yo - we'll see. Thinking if it's ok we will pick the 14yo's touch refurbished too. Not sure yet though!

No mistake made. You might want to look at Apple care for the iPod Touch. Not only will it extend the guarantee by a year it will also cover the ear buds and phone support for iTunes.

I have Apple care on all our Apple products except for the shuffle. The hard drive in our MacBook failed and I called Apple they made an appointment for me at the Apple store replaced the hard drive then I went home an used Time Machine to restore our lap top.

You may want to get your DD9 and apple gift card so he can open an iTunes account so he can have access to the App Store. There's lot of great free games and software for the touch but you need an account to access them.
The gift card allows you to open an account without giving over a credit card number.

There's also a great calendar and address book ion the Touch your DS can fill up with important contact info and dates.

The key to a device like the touch is to sync often as if your unit crashes you don't loose your data.

Click for info on the App Store

I've had great luck with Apple refurbished. Everything I have bought has been just like new (as far as I can tell). I'd second the recommendation for the Apple Care. I've made good use of mine - even on new products. I never buy extended warranties, but when it comes to computer products, I think of it as an insurance policy.

So.... we used our Master card for this purchase again and that doubles the warranty - with that said would you still see need to get the apple care package for $70??

I think 9yo ds and I are going to 'share' the touch and have a nano to 'share' as well...... I still don't know if he's responsible enough to have it so I will allow him to put games and such onto it so he can use it when we are travellingand I will have music on his for me so I have something to listen to when he's using the touch. Make sense??

So.... we used our Master card for this purchase again and that doubles the warranty - with that said would you still see need to get the apple care package for $70??

I think 9yo ds and I are going to 'share' the touch and have a nano to 'share' as well...... I still don't know if he's responsible enough to have it so I will allow him to put games and such onto it so he can use it when we are travellingand I will have music on his for me so I have something to listen to when he's using the touch. Make sense??

Since you have the extra warranty you may not want the Apple Care.

Need to correct an error I made in an earlier post.
An iTunes gift card is not valid for purchasing applications at the Apple App store.
I found out today when I was going to purchase a gift card. The attendant at the Apple Store informed me of this when I asked why they did not know.

ituens.jpg

Hello folks

I purchased an IPOD classic 40 G from the refurb store, had one problem sent it back & it was replaced within the week.

Here is the link to the refurb store...sorry I haven't hit my 10 posts yet or I would add the link. But if you got to apple.ca, and then to the store page, then at the bottom is where the special deals are located.

I was looking at the refurbbed 16gb Itouch, same price as a new 8GB in stores, and you can't really tell that it is refurbbed. Same warranty as the new ones.

all the best

tim

that's what we ended up getting - the 16 gig refurbed touch - they look brand new in the box and come with the full year warranty too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter