Best airline to Tokyo

I've been looking at fully refundable flights for early next year from Washington, DC to Tokyo and both ANA and United have them. On the United site, it looks like I can book a flight operated by ANA. If I go to the ANA site the fare seems to be twice as much. I don't quite understand that! Any ideas why? It's about $2500 booked through United to fly an ANA operated plane and $5600 to book through ANA directly.

I have some health issues (both knees need replacing) that I'm trying to postpone until after this trip but always the chance I may need to cancel. I thought I'd get the fully refundable flight and closer to the time, if the trip is a go, I could look at booking a non-refundable flight if it's cheaper, and cancelling the first one. If anyone sees a problem with that idea (other than cost - ouch)...I'd appreciate any tips.
Ultimately depends on what you value most, but ANA service is much better than united. I don't think it's worth twice the price though

However, ANA is truly lightyears ahead in terms of service. Better food, flight attendants, real silverware ect. It's just a spectacular experience and will forever spoil the way you think about flying.

Last edited:
Ultimately depends on what you value most, but ANA service is much better than united. I don't think it's worth twice the price though

However, ANA is truly lightyears ahead in terms of service. Better food, flight attendants, real silverware ect. It's just a spectacular experience and will forever spoil the way you think about flying.
Well it seems I can book through United and it's an ANA flight for the same price as a United flight so I think that's what I'll do!

we are doing JAL in a couple weeks to Haneda. Wanted ANA but it was way more expensive. I heard both are great. We booked premium economy but hear JAL as awseome economy (as a PP mentioned).

we are doing JAL in a couple weeks to Haneda. Wanted ANA but it was way more expensive. I heard both are great. We booked premium economy but hear JAL as awseome economy (as a PP mentioned).
Indeed, JAL's economy class is pretty great for economy class. If you get a flight on a 787, then they arrange the seats in a 2-4-2 configuration, which means that you have more room for each seat than with the typical 3-3-3 configuration and you won't have any seat friends if you're flying as a party of two. The food is OK. The entertainment system has a lot of available options. Service is exceptional.

I haven't flown ANA because they don't fly from my airport, but I know that they use the 3-3-3 seat configuration on their 787s.

Indeed, JAL's economy class is pretty great for economy class. If you get a flight on a 787, then they arrange the seats in a 2-4-2 configuration, which means that you have more room for each seat than with the typical 3-3-3 configuration and you won't have any seat friends if you're flying as a party of two. The food is OK. The entertainment system has a lot of available options. Service is exceptional.

I haven't flown ANA because they don't fly from my airport, but I know that they use the 3-3-3 seat configuration on their 787s.

JAL's movie selection on their entertainment system is really minimal and absolutely not what I would consider as having "a lot of available options". ANA tends to have slightly more but the most entertainment options (especially Western movies) will be found on United.

Since you can always download movies rather than rely on the entertainment system, this is really not that important.

JAL's movie selection on their entertainment system is really minimal and absolutely not what I would consider as having "a lot of available options". ANA tends to have slightly more but the most entertainment options (especially Western movies) will be found on United.

Since you can always download movies rather than rely on the entertainment system, this is really not that important.
I guess I haven't flown JAL since 2017, but when I did, they had a very large selection of movies, anime, TV shows, and manga. Many of them were Japanese releases with English subtitles, but there were also plenty of American releases.

I upgraded my seat to premium economy on ANA for my return flight. Personally, I thought it was well worth the upgrade. You get access to their flagship longue which is fantastic, good buffet, unlimited drinks, and even a shower. The seat on the plane was very spacious and actually there were about 7 empty seats so I had no space issues.

Although I thought the food wasn't as good this time around. When I went in October 2015 I personally thought the food was way better. Not sure if it's a supply issue or what but the teriyaki chicken I had was pretty underwhelming. I mean, it is airline food so I wasn't expecting much but given ANA's record I was a bit surprised.

We fly with Delta...

I know what I am getting, so no surprises along the way.

Basically as always it will boil down to price, and what seat class you can get for the amount you are willing to hand over.

Our friend flew ANA and were disappointed in the first class, said the seats where horrible, super narrow, and not long enough, and they smelled really bad, like nasty feet and BO, as well the food choices were not to their liking... lol whatever that means. Other friends have flown with them and raved about how wonderful first class was and what a great experience they had.

Planning to go to TDR next year. What airlines would you recommend to use and to stay away from? TIA
Also what airline offers you the best nonstop options or if you have connections what airports ? We are lucky to have JAL direct, have flown them before and was great. I have friends who flew ANA and loved it. Either of those will be better than a domestic airline. Also had a buddy just fly Zipair and was impressed at value for what he paid and a new plane.

We fly with Delta...

I know what I am getting, so no surprises along the way.

Basically as always it will boil down to price, and what seat class you can get for the amount you are willing to hand over.

Our friend flew ANA and were disappointed in the first class, said the seats where horrible, super narrow, and not long enough, and they smelled really bad, like nasty feet and BO, as well the food choices were not to their liking... lol whatever that means. Other friends have flown with them and raved about how wonderful first class was and what a great experience they had.
ANA is one of the best first class in the world, if you're friend had a bad experience then it must have been an extreme exception. Are they sure they didn't fly like premium economy or something? It's like a $20000 ticket for first class lol

ANA is one of the best first class in the world, if you're friend had a bad experience then it must have been an extreme exception. Are they sure they didn't fly like premium economy or something? It's like a $20000 ticket for first class lol
Maybe they got the "old" first class, esp. if their travel was before the pandemic?

No first class, they are super picky and only fly first class, they do the points or perks or whatever... churning I think its called with credit cards. Her DH is really into this. They always are getting some kinda deals for everything.

She said that the bedding, and the seat itself smelled terrible. She had some kinda spray in her carry on and got it out and sprayed everything down which cause complaints from other passenger. Yes they can be those people. LOL

I've booked with DL for flights into HKG and out of TYO in 2024 b/c I have complimentary upgrades to Comfort Plus but I did it with points so will check out JAL also due to the 2-4-2 configuration. We're on a Japan-intensive HAL cruise from HKG to Yokohama with O/N in Shanghai so we're adding on time on both ends and hoping to hit all the Asia Dis parks on this trip🤞

Thanks for the detailed info!

No first class, they are super picky and only fly first class, they do the points or perks or whatever... churning I think its called with credit cards. Her DH is really into this. They always are getting some kinda deals for everything.

She said that the bedding, and the seat itself smelled terrible. She had some kinda spray in her carry on and got it out and sprayed everything down which cause complaints from other passenger. Yes they can be those people. LOL

If they're used to flying First Class then ANA isn't particularly good. ANA's first class lounges are not that much nicer than business class lounges. ANA planes tend to run a bit warm but I've never felt like the smell of anything was bad relative to other airlines. Maybe they just got unlucky. United's planes tend to develop a bad smell really quickly.

I'm pretty sure you are back now and wanted to hear how your experience with Jal was? thx

I plan on buying my Japan flights for next November soon-ish (waiting on potential price drops but I also see that seats are starting to fill up for premium economy) and I'm doing ANA this time. JAL doesn't do nonstops from airports near me, so they're not an option.

I flew in United premium economy the last time I went to Japan and it was fine. Not fantastic but not horrible either. The inflight meal was gross but that's typical with United meals.

I'm pretty sure you are back now and wanted to hear how your experience with Jal was? thx
Was great!! we did Prem Economy there and it was great. No complaints!! We ended up upgrading to business on way back which was great and My family loved it but I felt not worth the money over prem economy. Would definitel fly them again. Although I am wanting to go back to Japan so badly that I dont care who I fly. LOL.

Was great!! we did Prem Economy there and it was great. No complaints!! We ended up upgrading to business on way back which was great and My family loved it but I felt not worth the money over prem economy. Would definitel fly them again. Although I am wanting to go back to Japan so badly that I dont care who I fly. LOL.
Thank you for responding. I really want us to do JAL because of the 2 3 2 seating. That way my daughters
can sit together and DH and I. Is premium economy the same seating? Thanks for the tip for business
class. We were thinking of upgrading to business on the way there but premium on the way back.
"Only" a 9 hour flight for us so premium should be ok?

Thank you for responding. I really want us to do JAL because of the 2 3 2 seating. That way my daughters
can sit together and DH and I. Is premium economy the same seating? Thanks for the tip for business
class. We were thinking of upgrading to business on the way there but premium on the way back.
"Only" a 9 hour flight for us so premium should be ok?
If you're flying on a JAL 787-9, then premium economy has a 2-3-2 layout. Here's a seat map:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Japan_Airlines/Japan_Airlines_787-900.php

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks, @gelatoni fan!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter