Best age for child first time...

I never had one in the 18months-31/2 age at Disney. I feel that would be the roughest. I had 2 there at 9 months and it was a dream. Too old to want out and walk all the time and they slept happily in the the stroller.

We are going for the first time in September just before our son’s 3rd birthday. I wanted to go when he turned 1, but my husband made us wait, lol! I think it would be a great experience for any little one.

My dh works ALOT so that we are able to travel. It has always been important to the two of us. When we had kids we decided that our travels would continue regardless. My point, we(my dh and I)go to WDW for us and our kids are just lucky enough to go along. I've never worried about them remembering the trip. Call me selfish but I want the memories for me. They are only with us for such a short time that I want to enjoy them as much as possible. We've had them at Disney at all ages and I honestly think each age has it advantages and disadvantages. I would plan the trip for when the adults want to go.

For me I think anytime after the terrible 2 stage.

Oh my goodness we saw SO many toddler meltdowns at WDW. EPIC EPIC meltdowns. I felt bad for the parents who were obviously not having a great time paying thousands of dollars to watch their kids totally fall to pieces, lol.

We did our first trip when our kids were 6 and 7 and to us it was a perfect age to go. They didn't need naps, they were big enough to go on every ride, they understood, "nope, sorry kiddo.. we aren't buying a stuffed animal for $65" without a battle, without whining, without begging, just, "ok mom!" They handled things in stride, they were thankful, they were appreciative, they were so much fun to experience Disney with. They got tired, absolutely, but they were old enough to know how to hold themselves together and not have a fit when things didn't go their way.

Oh my goodness we saw SO many toddler meltdowns at WDW. EPIC EPIC meltdowns. I felt bad for the parents who were obviously not having a great time paying thousands of dollars to watch their kids totally fall to pieces, lol.

We did our first trip when our kids were 6 and 7 and to us it was a perfect age to go. They didn't need naps, they were big enough to go on every ride, they understood, "nope, sorry kiddo.. we aren't buying a stuffed animal for $65" without a battle, without whining, without begging, just, "ok mom!" They handled things in stride, they were thankful, they were appreciative, they were so much fun to experience Disney with. They got tired, absolutely, but they were old enough to know how to hold themselves together and not have a fit when things didn't go their way.

Eh I watched a baby boomer meltdown while my 20 month old was a champ....so...

I've seen as many adults having meltdowns as children. I can ignore an unhappy toddler but man I have trouble with whiny, stupid adults acting as if they own WDW and they are the only people spending thousands of dollars to be there. At least a toddler is cute!!!

I've seen as many adults having meltdowns as children. I can ignore an unhappy toddler but man I have trouble with whiny, stupid adults acting as if they own WDW and they are the only people spending thousands of dollars to be there. At least a toddler is cute!!!

It's a running joke that my 20 month old outlasted my MIL. Even my MIL jokes about it.

If you are lucky enough to go frequently I saw go for it! My kids will be 10 and 4 this year and it will be their 5th and 3rd trip! The 4 year old went for the first time at 15 months but that trip was definitely more for his older sister. He doesn't remember any of it but some of my favorite pics or him are from that trip. And he LOVED the characters! We also held off and did his very first haircut on main street! He went again last year at 3 and he remembers quite a bit of it still! He may not remember it in 5 yrs but I will. I will never forget his face. It's all so magical. We definitely take it easy though. Stay on the monorail line, lots of breaks, do what we can, don't get upset if we need to call it quits on any given day. This year we are doing the halloween party for the first time and are super excited! Fingers crossed a 4 yr old can hang that late :-)

I've had an 8 month old there. It's tough but still a blast. It really depends on how you think you can handle child care in that situation.

So hard to pick a perfect age. Younger than 6 there is still the magic of it being all real. As they get older it's just a magical theme park, but at 2-3 yo? Yeah those are the same princesses you saw in the movies.

If you’re going to go more than once, I think any age is fine!

So far, my son has been there at 18 months and just before his 3rd birthday. Both were wonderful trips. I’m amazed at how much he remembers from our more recent trip...it was 4 months ago and he definitely remembers things and asks to go back. We are considering a spring 2020 trip when he’ll be close to 4.5.

We took our son 2 weeks shy of his second birthday. That was the best trip. He was so amazed at all the sights to see at Disney. We took him a second time last summer right before his 3rd birthday and he enjoyed it even more. He keeps asking when we’re going back. I say go for it! Bring the little one to Disney! The memories you will make will last forever

I just got back from a trip with my family. I have a 6 year old boy, a 4 year old boy, and a 1 1/2 year old girl. They all loved it but in different ways.

My 4 year old boy loved it more than anybody else without question. He thought everything was the greatest thing he had ever seen and danced and enthusiastically went about every minute of every day.

My 6 year old boy loved the thrill rides like Soarin and Test Track and all the roller coasters. He was fine with all the slower moving story type rides but not overly enthusiastic about them. At the Disney Junior Dance party he did not want to dance because he thought he was too old for it. He did love meeting the characters though.

My 1 1/2 year old daughter loved it too but I think at that age anything new is exciting. I loved seeing her wave at everything on Small World and pointing at every character in the parade. She did get shy when the characters got close and would hide her head in my chest but she loved looking at them from far away.

Bottom line is there is something for every age. But if there is only going to be one trip, then I think 4 is the perfect age as they will love everything and they are still too innocent to worry about being too old for anything.

If the goal is the first of a family tradition of going multiple times then I would say 3 or 4. Littler is just too much work to be away from home in my view.

For a “one and done” goal we found 6 worked pretty well for my littlest.

When they are done with a stroller. Carrying all the stuff babies need plus pushing a stroller with dead weight all day is exhausting, at least for me it is. Packing diapers, wipes, their favorite blankets, etc. was just a lot. Our first trip without a stroller DD was 5 and it was amazing.

I took DS for the first time when he was 3 but we really only did MK and the water parks. Then we went back when DD was 2 and he was 8. If I were to ever have more kids I would wait until we are out of the stroller age. My kids were both done with strollers at 5.

I found 5-6 to be the magical age anyway.

I used to be of the mindset that I'd wait until they were old enough to remember... and then I took OS when he was 2 and have zero regrets. The absolute joy on his face when he was still so young made the trip more than magical to me, and I can't wait for my younger two to have the same experience when they're 2 as well.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I would talk with your Pediatrician about what they think also. At 7 months children don't have all of their vaccinations. (Huge measles outbreak, influenza, etc)
Guess could still be differences of opinion, but we took DS at 7 mos & did ask pediatrician. He said go for it. A lot of kids are in daycares by this age anyway.

Every kid is different, my friends kids all made it open to close with stroller naps in between.

my 21 month old made it from just after RD to about 7 or 8 most nights. I probably could have pushed it, but I didn't want to. Honestly my 21 month old outlasted my 60 yr old MIL...:rolleyes1
Exactly. And, on the other hand, our DS likes his early bedtime so I think he may to be like 10 before we see a night show again lol!

My dh works ALOT so that we are able to travel. It has always been important to the two of us. When we had kids we decided that our travels would continue regardless. My point, we(my dh and I)go to WDW for us and our kids are just lucky enough to go along. I've never worried about them remembering the trip. Call me selfish but I want the memories for me. They are only with us for such a short time that I want to enjoy them as much as possible. We've had them at Disney at all ages and I honestly think each age has it advantages and disadvantages. I would plan the trip for when the adults want to go.
This is us. I think some ppl just don’t want to put in the work. The friends I have that say they’re going to wait til they remember are the same ones who don’t do much at all b/c they don’t want the hassle of it. It’s differnet for those who can’t afford to go multiple times, but this is not the case for the ppl I know. Time is just so precious to us so we think it’s worth the work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter