Best Advise for a new cruiser?

Funny how the term has hung on at least 50 years after they stopped using tin in cans.
My mom is from Canada so I get a bit of that from my family there.

Fillet is fil-a to me, and fill-it to them
Pasta is paw-sta to me, and paaaaaaaaa-sta to them.
The square paper of cloth item you wipe your mouth with at the dinner table is a napkin to me, and a servette to them. A napkin to them is what we call a diaper.
French fries are chips to them, and don't dare put catsup on them, they only serve gravy with chips (except at McDonalds).
Good luck finding non-fat milk....my uncle swears it is illegal to sell milk without fat in it in Canada, so you can by milk which would be whole milk to me, and cream milk which would be cream to me.

where is Canada??????

Here in Toronto we eat ketchup with our fries (everywhere), have skim, 1%, and 2% milk (so fat free and low fat varieties - can even get skim chocolate milk). And while I may refer to it as either a serviette or a napkin - a diaper is a diaper and not known by another name.

make sure you have breakfast at Tritons or Lumieres (I forget which is on which ship) We went the 2nd day of our last trip & ended up going every morning! The kids love it & it's so much nicer that trying to find a table in the buffet area.

On the room service we've ordered cookies & milk, b-fast & ice cream bars. It's customary to tip the server who brings it. But the menu will list if there is a charge for the items.

Also relax & enjoy yourself, don't feel like you need to do it all. I know there are differences of opinions on this one, but don't force the kids to go to the rooms. Our kids don't really care for them & for us its a family vacation so we love to spend time together at the pool

OMG... this thread is so funny. I'm an American and I just discovered that a old high school friend of mine recently married a girl fropm England. I found out that they call what we American's know as those "old fashioned" fanny packs that some still carry around on their waist while on vacation.... as, well, I don't think I can say it on the boards. Here is a hint.... it's the same as a female private body area and also the same as another name for a cat! :rotfl2: LOL. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong. This is what I was told though. Oh, just thought of this.... years ago my brother moved down south.... to Tennessee well, they were calling what we up north call "pop" (we don't call it "soda") .... they call or called EVERY kind of pop a "coke". Funny. :laughing: They would go out and order a "coke" then they would further have to explain what kind of "coke" they wanted. Do you want a sprite for your coke or how about a Dr. Pepper for your "coke", or maybe even a Pepsi for your "coke"??? Ha ha Ha :rotfl: What are some others I'm not aware of????

Thank you so much for the advise. Its pretty daunting to face your 1st cruise because its not like you can just pop off to the stores and get anything you forget. The boys are very very excited. So I'd like to make things as special as possible for them.

OMG... this thread is so funny. I'm an American and I just discovered that a old high school friend of mine recently married a girl fropm England. I found out that they call what we American's know as those "old fashioned" fanny packs that some still carry around on their waist while on vacation.... as, well, I don't think I can say it on the boards. Here is a hint.... it's the same as a female private body area and also the same as another name for a cat! :rotfl2: LOL. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong. This is what I was told though. Oh, just thought of this.... years ago my brother moved down south.... to Tennessee well, they were calling what we up north call "pop" (we don't call it "soda") .... they call or called EVERY kind of pop a "coke". Funny. :laughing: They would go out and order a "coke" then they would further have to explain what kind of "coke" they wanted. Do you want a sprite for your coke or how about a Dr. Pepper for your "coke", or maybe even a Pepsi for your "coke"??? Ha ha Ha :rotfl: What are some others I'm not aware of????
No you are def right, we call them bum bags.
I cant bring myself to call them what you call them.

Also on my last cruise meet thread, I told every body that I had bought a pink pair of pants, I did think it was a bit strange when they wanted to see a picture:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I think they all nearly died when I posted a picture( I wasnt wering them though) :laughing:

You are correct....

I am from the south, Texas, and can verify that we still call all sodas "cokes". What kind of coke do you want?:laughing:

In the UK, we call them 'tin's' even though its ''Aluminium'' and we say that word a lot different to you guys.
!!!!

You live in Essex we live just over the water in Kent We call them cans in Kent and south london.
Checked with other family members before posting this.
Also my Uncle used to be in the pub trade and he had australian bar staff working for him some times, they used to call them tinnieees.
That and some of the old guys, My uncle is Irish and a lot of the older drinkers (heavy drinkers) from Ireland (uncles mates so no slur intended) used to refer to them as tins. Normally they were referring to the really strong beer that cold take the lining off of a petrol(Gas) drum. But that was years ago early 90s and they were old then (70-80s) so probably no longer around even.

But other than that as far as Im aware its Cans all the way.
Can of coke, can of beer etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter