Bermuda Excursions

DMLAINI

DIS Veteran
Can anyone recommend any good family friendly excursions in Bermuda or things to do within walking distance of the port? It will be our daughter (age 12), my husband, my mom, & myself. Thank you!

We did Bermuda last fall. First day, we took a van from the port to Horseshoe Bay Beach, which is gorgeous. 2nd day we did a tour of the island. Both were great.

The port is very nice with shopping and dining. The fort is right there which contains the Maritime Museum you can tour. We did that on our first trip to Bermuda.

There is the West End Trolley tour at the dock that does around that area.

There are many nice excursion for Bermuda. Th Aquarium and Zoo, Crystal Caves and Bermuda Triangle cruise at night etc. You also take the ferry from the port to Hamilton for shopping and dining.

You can find DCL excursion list on the website. Good luck.

There is a ton of stuff right there at the port. You may want to look at Google maps, there is the snorkel beach, the dolphin experience, the Maritime Museum, Segway rentals, etc.

We had a great time playing mini golf near the port. It's within walking distance. Each hole is a smaller version of a "real" hole on courses in the US, Europe, and Bermuda. Beautiful views! And, we had a good time talking to the locals who worked there! It's called Bermuda Fun Golf.

We are cruising to Bermuda this October with our kids (will be 11& nearly 9) and have booked an island tour for the first day, a sunset rum cruise for dh and I that first night (it's only 2 hours) and then the second day we are doing a sail, snorkel and swim excursion. Can't wait!

When we went on the first Bermuda cruise last year, our daughter got sick and spent most of the time in Bermuda at their hospital. He husband spent time with her and my wife and I stayed on the ship with our grandkids. My wife has limited mobility, and we didn't think we would be able to handle the 4 kids on our own. Our daughter made it back to the ship a couple of hours before we left port on the second day, and while she rested the rest of us got of the ship so we could say that we actually saw Bermuda. Her husband and the kids got as far as a bar that looked like a pirate ship right by the dock. They usually charge people to jump off the back of the ship and swim, but given how little time was left, let our son-in-law and kids swim for free. My wife and I went a little further and did some shopping.

My wife and I are doing this cruise again this October, and will hopefully see more of the island

We did Bermuda last fall. First day, we took a van from the port to Horseshoe Bay Beach, which is gorgeous. 2nd day we did a tour of the island. Both were great.

The port is very nice with shopping and dining. The fort is right there which contains the Maritime Museum you can tour. We did that on our first trip to Bermuda.

There is the West End Trolley tour at the dock that does around that area.

There are many nice excursion for Bermuda. Th Aquarium and Zoo, Crystal Caves and Bermuda Triangle cruise at night etc. You also take the ferry from the port to Hamilton for shopping and dining.

You can find DCL excursion list on the website. Good luck.
Did you take the Bermuda Triangle cruise at night? I have it booked with two friends, all senior citizens. Is it geared to children only? We think it could be interesting. Thanks.

bobbiewoz how close to Horseshoe Bay does the van let you off? Is it a long walk? How do you arrange the return trip? Did you use the vans that charge $7 each way or a different one?

We are cruising to Bermuda this October with our kids (will be 11& nearly 9) and have booked an island tour for the first day, a sunset rum cruise for dh and I that first night (it's only 2 hours) and then the second day we are doing a sail, snorkel and swim excursion. Can't wait!
bcwife76 when in October are you going? We're booked on October 12, 2019 with my 2 grandsons ages nearly 11 & 7 years old. My daughter & son-in-law are also going. It will be their 1st cruise & my 1st DCL cruise. Can't wait.

bobbiewoz how close to Horseshoe Bay does the van let you off? Is it a long walk? How do you arrange the return trip? Did you use the vans that charge $7 each way or a different one?
I am not the one who took the van, sorry.

bcwife76 when in October are you going? We're booked on October 12, 2019 with my 2 grandsons ages nearly 11 & 7 years old. My daughter & son-in-law are also going. It will be their 1st cruise & my 1st DCL cruise. Can't wait.
We get off the day you get on! We are doing the DVC members cruise Oct 5-12th that goes to Bermuda and Boston.

bbn1122 - When you went to Horseshoe Bay did you use the vans that charge $7 each way? How far did you have to walk from the van drop off to the beach? How do you arrange pick up for return trip?
Also, How was the evening Bermuda Triangle cruise? Were there mostly adults or a lot of kids? Worth the time for 2 adults?

Did you take the Bermuda Triangle cruise at night? I have it booked with two friends, all senior citizens. Is it geared to children only? We think it could be interesting. Thanks.

No, I just was listing different excursions. As, I mentioned we went to Horseshoe Bay Beach and did an Island Tour.

Have fun!

bbn1122 - When you went to Horseshoe Bay did you use the vans that charge $7 each way? How far did you have to walk from the van drop off to the beach? How do you arrange pick up for return trip?
Also, How was the evening Bermuda Triangle cruise? Were there mostly adults or a lot of kids? Worth the time for 2 adults?

The van is $7 or $6 each way. Drops you right at entrance to beach, down the hill from road. If you take bus, which is cheaper, you are dropped off on main road and need to walk down the hill.

Vans are lined up to go back. Very easy.

We did not do Bermuda Triangle, I was just mentioning what was available.

As, mentioned we did Horseshoe Bay the first day and an Island tour on the second day.

Have a great cruise.😎

The whole island is walking distance from the port.

I mean, not really, but it's pretty small,

This is a very misleading comment. While Bermuda isn't too large, the roads are narrow and winding and traffic congestion is getting worse each year. Not to mention that aside from a stretch through Warwick and and Southhampton parishes where South Road runs, there is only one main road on the entire island (Middle Road).

From King's Wharf, it can take an hour plus to travel to the Northeastern part of the island. The ferry to St. George is about a 45 minute ride.

Regarding comments by others - those who only stay at the port or go to Horseshoe Bay are missing out. There are better, less crowded beaches if you are willing to travel and have time. We cruise to Bermuda on NCL from NYC and have about 3 full days in Bermuda so there is plenty of time to get around.

Our favorite beach is Clearwater Beach / Turtle Bay / Cooper's Island Nature Preserve which is all the way over by the airport. Aside from a few locals, we're usually the only ones there. There's usually a large group of us so for our last trip we hired a minibus to bring us and pick us up at a designated time. Jobson's Bay at Warwick Long Bay has great snorkeling in the cove area.

Most people go to Horseshoe because it's close and there are facilities, but it just gets way too crowded when two boats are in port.

I have been to Bermuda almost 10 times since I was a kid in the 1970's, but this will be my first time on a cruise. We are booked for the October 12th from NYC and I am so excited (we live in NJ and snagged a pretty nice GT rate)!

So one of the ways we justify going on more than a few cruises with Disney is that we rarely do their "Port Excursions" . . . and I won't go into the advantages/disadvantages here. But I am generally comfortable touring in Bermuda and have seen almost the entire island (although I have not been to what-they-used-to-call "The Dockyards" since they turned it into the "Kings Wharf" cruise terminal and tourist welcome-and-shop-dine-pay-money-here center).

Typically, I have stayed in Southhampton, but also stayed out in Tuckertown as well.
On most visits, I have had a motor scooter and have traveled almost everywhere. Bermuda is a magical place.

And yes, the old fort and maritime museum at the end of the "fishhook" where "Kings Wharf" is now located were worthwhile to visit (and there are lesser ruins of old fortifications elsewhere). As far as all the other attractions within 1 mile of the ship, I imagine they are just as enjoyable and notable as the same kinds of attractions in St.John or Nassau. Bermuda is a nice, albeit expensive, place and the people are very friendly, and it is very safe too. I encourage to get out and see a few things (and you will generally see A LOT more on your own, than with the well-shepherded and aggressively priced Disney/LocalTourOperator port excursions).

Here is a list of my most memorable Bermuda attractions in no particular order:
  • Hiking and/or motor scootering along the various segments of the Bermuda "Rail Trail" https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/the-bermuda-railway-trail-national-park as well as on all the major roads through the entire island.
  • Golf on the most brutal Tucker's Point Golf Club
  • Tennis at the SouthHampton Princess/Fairmount and the CastleHarbor hotel (has changed hands many times).
  • Golf on the more foregiving Par-3 course by the Fairmont Southhampton
  • Shopping, eating and beveraging along Front St in Hamilton (it is a lovely town to tour and there is ferry direct from Kings Wharf!)
  • Horseback riding in Southhampton Parish - rail trail and beach
  • Many, many visits to the under-rated Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo in Flatts. Once we saw some very old tortoises mating for what-seemed-like-hours . . . and they were making noise!!
  • Seeing amazing birds at Spittal Pond
  • Choosing between Crystal and Cathedral Caves in St George's Parish
  • Touring the quaint, historical town of St George (where smaller cruise ships can still dock)
  • Touring the very-out-of-the-way, but quite accessible and interesting Fort St. Catherine
  • Glass bottom boat tour out of Long Bay Beach (I think). I snorkeled there too, but there wasn't much to see except sand and a few fish.
  • Walks along the "ridge" of SouthHampton Parish often to and up Gibbs Hill Lighthouse
  • Motor scooters, buses, some taxi's and the occasionally ferry ride from/to almost everywhere.
  • The private and public beaches along SouthHampton southern coast, also at Tucker's Point.
  • Bermuda Botanical Gardens and filling up with petrol nearby.
  • Taking the back roads out of Hamilton to Spanish Point
I am not sure what my wife and I will do on October 14th and 15th. It may depend on the weather. She is not excited about the motor scooters and I won't push it.

I will be looking for a tennis game and there are a few options:
https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/where-to-play-tennis-bermuda

For those who went last October, did anyone go to Snorkel Park Beach? I've seen several complaints of lots of glass on the beach. Not smooths sea glass, jagged glass. We're taking 2 young kids & don't want to worry about them getting cut on the glass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter