Benefits of Purchasing From Disney Directly

Yes, 50 is the minimum allowed. I wanted only a cash purchase and told the dvc sales rep as such. I don't know if I was allowed since it was an old resort, but maybe?

I, too, thought the minimum initial purchase was 100 points. Anything 50 points or less, and direct does start to make a lot of sense.

Did you say you bought your first contract for 50 points direct from Disney? I thought there is a minimum number of points required to make a direct purchase, unless you are already a DVC member and adding on? So if I wanted to buy VGF could I buy only 50 points if this is my first contract? (Realizing even if you bank and borrow to go every few years 50 points does not go that far).
There have been specials at times with lower minimums down to 50 as a new purchases. SSR was one of the main options available as such.

If you want to buy a new resort buying direct makes a lot of sense. Resale is often not available and buying direct can be cheaper than picking up re sales at a later date.

We bought BLT at 99'

'99?? or '09????

Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

So, buying resale you lose alot of options that you could use the points on!

Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

Correct but for many the thousands of dollars in savings is worth more than using points outside of the DVC resorts at the high point prices charged by Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

But none of dollar value. Actually they're doing them a favor if by forcing them to evaluate DVC on it's own merits.

I like vanilla and you like strawberry! Different strokes for different folks.

if you are the sort who likes to walk into a new car dealership and pay full sticker price including the dealer add-ons and extras, then i salute you. you have done your part to help the salesperson buy a boat and further drive the economy.

but for those strawberry people like me, i want to make sure they know they can save money with resales without losing anything of value. they do have to put up with the hassle of waiting for ROFR and closing (much like i have to deal with hassle of negotiating for a car...with the salesperson calling in the manager for some more back-and-forth and so on) but in both cases, the savings can easily be thousands of dollars. that's no big whoop for you vanilla folks but it makes us strawberry folks happy...and while opinions vary, the numbers are black and white.

I'm glad for those who bought direct, when it was first sold and lower cost. We bought VGF direct....someday it may help someone buy it from us resale. If it weren't for our first purchase, which was resale, we would've spent a substantial amount more buying that VGF as new owners, not add on.

if you are the sort who likes to walk into a new car dealership and pay full sticker price including the dealer add-ons and extras, then i salute you. you have done your part to help the salesperson buy a boat and further drive the economy.

Well, actually I am a salesman at a Ford store! :wave2: And, I don't pay full price for things if I can help it either :goodvibes. I make all the money on some sales pirate: and little on others :teacher:. But most everyone needs a car!

Times and the economy are different now. When we began in 1998 I would have never thought the points would be over $160 per some day. And I understand how my plans for DVC usage are different than others. But, when you figure out what the 10 night Med Cruise with a week in France prior, the 12 night Baltic cruise with two days in London, the seven day Alaska cruise, not to mention the upcoming Panama Canal trip and the 10 other Disney cruises would have cost me in CASH, my family I already have gotten more than a good return on my points purchases from DVC. The kids were 2 and 6 back in 1998 and we decided Disney was how we like to vacation. Now they are 18 and 22 and have been fortunate to have traveled like they have. Now, my wife and I can explorer the other options available with points.

Sorry for the rant! :thumbsup2

I like vanilla and you like strawberry! Different strokes for different folks.
It's not simply a choice but an evaluation of the value received or not. For there to be real long term value there has to be both guaranteed options and real dollar value. Remember we're discussing this in the context of buying in, it's a slightly different decision (though not much) for those that already own IF they own more points than they can use otherwise. NONE of the options are guaranteed and outside of a few RCI options that are unlikely to be available, NONE return a consistent dollar value making the options worthwhile on paper, much less in real life. DCL is likely the easiest to compare as well as the main focus for many and the return there is almost always between $6-7.50 pp compared to early booking discounts. At those rates, it's a money losing proposition, there's no way to make it out otherwise. Not only that, to use them consistently for such matters means you have to buy more points than you need otherwise. So you pay more to get the options that doesn't even pay for itself and then you pay even more because you now need more points than you would just for DVC, by a wide margin in many cases.

I know there are those that really don't care about the price or value, they just want it prepaid and be done with it. Their choice but the reality is that what they're doing means they are paying more long term in a number of ways for that "convenience". Really it isn't convenient at all because now you're locked in to one method through MS and have significantly more risk to accomplish the same task. Even for those that already own, DVC is marketable enough to give options that may be better for many than using points in this way.

So to use the ice cream reference, buying DVC to use for cash type options is Neapolitan when you don't like chocolate or strawberry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter