• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Behind the Scenes Tour

DIS_Ag

Mouseketeer
Is there any type of Behind the Scenes Tour offered? I've never seen anything about one, but I get very curious and nerdy about the operations sides of businesses. I also am interested in seeing how logistically they feed 1000's of people multiple times per day. I'd love a tour that showed the galleys/bridge/other things like that. I'd really be curious to see the crew quarters but can understand why that wouldn't happen.

Is there any type of Behind the Scenes Tour offered? I've never seen anything about one, but I get very curious and nerdy about the operations sides of businesses. I also am interested in seeing how logistically they feed 1000's of people multiple times per day. I'd love a tour that showed the galleys/bridge/other things like that. I'd really be curious to see the crew quarters but can understand why that wouldn't happen.
No, there's no behind the scenes tour, like other cruise lines have. Time was there was a backstage tour (WDW theater) and a galley tour.

Now, it's been reported that, if you go to Guest Services at the beginning of your cruise and ask if there's a Galley Tour, SOMETIMES, it happens. But it's not a regular occurrence.

A few years ago, several members of the Food Network were filmed on a Disney Cruise (the Fantasy, I believe). The segment showed the chef's and their families eating at the MDR's, Palo, and Remy. They also received tours of the galleys and talked with the Fantasy's chefs. There were some of the behind the scene information like you were asking about. This was shown on the Food Network and you can watch it on YouTube.

The galley tour, if offered during your cruise, is about the only one I know about. We thought it was great - short, but gave you a backstage perspective on how the food is prepared and how they get it out to the tables so quickly. They showed us the special allergy prep areas as well. It was very interesting, and we even got a warm chocolate chip cookie at the end. Fun!

Which boat? On the Wonder, there's the free Art of the Theme tour...

I've only seen it offered on longer cruises like the Panama Canal however, like a pp said, sometimes if you specifically ask at Guest Services they can get you in.

On our Baltics cruise last summer there was a behind the scenes tour of the Walt Disney theater. It was interesting to go back stage and learn about the different elements to putting the shows together. You also get a look at some costumes and props.

We did the galley Tour last year--BORING!!! Lots of Pots and Pans, absolutely no one working, hard to even hear the fellow giving the tour.

The presentation about the Galley (and the rest of the ship) on your room TV was more informative and interesting.

For example that specialty allergy prep area on the tour was nothing more than a lot of pinks slips of paper attached to the food order slips-- all hanging on a board.

Quite underwhelming--

On the Fantasy in September 7th cruise last year. We did the Art of Theme Walking Tour and the Galley Tour. Looking forward to doing them again and taking better pictures. It was fun

Just to clarify - the Galley tour we attended on the 7-night Fantasy (in June, 2013) was never advertised as an offering in the navigator. You had to know enough to ask. I had read about it on the Disboards, so I made a note to ask the Concierge Team, and they signed us up. However, it was not only concierge guests, so I imagine you could inquire at Guest Services just as you would any ticketed event. It was adults only, free of charge, and they told us where and when to meet. It was on a sea day and yes, it was between food services, so there was hardly anyone in there, other than perhaps someone prepping salads, but we still found it interesting because we had a mental picture in our head from then on about what goes into feeding so many massive amounts of people. It was also kind of cool to see their schedule printed out, so they didn't get mixed up about what kinds of food were on the menu for a particular evening - LOL!

On our Baltics cruise last summer there was a behind the scenes tour of the Walt Disney theater. It was interesting to go back stage and learn about the different elements to putting the shows together. You also get a look at some costumes and props.
Yes it was great!

Loved it.

Also done the Galley tour.

And the Art of the theme tour.

Each cruise we do a few......

I did a galley tour on the Magic in 2009. I thought it was interesting. At the time they also offered a backstage look into the stage shows but I didn't do that one.

We asked about a galley your on the Fantasy in October 2014 and they booked us on one, but then they called our cabin and cancelled it.

We will probably ask if there is a galley tour on our Panama Canal cruise in August.

This may not help much, but there is a show on TLC that randomly runs and it's about the behind the scenes of the ships. It also shows features available to everyone, but they do run a kitchen segment, bridge segment, etc. It's pretty need to watch. They have a Disney parks special too. I happened to come across it and recorded it one weekend. It's been on the DVR for over a year now! :) I'll have it on in the background while I'm doing housework or something just for a quick "fix"!

Just checked....it's on YouTube! "Tour Disney Cruise Line"

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter