Behind Steam Train Tours

Ravenclaw2015

Earning My Ears
Has anybody done this tour? There does not seem to be a schedule on when/what time this tour is. I'd like to surprise my son with this tour. I would appreciate if someone enlighten me about this tour. Thanks!

The tour starts at 7:30. Check-in by 7:15. The 7:30 start is regardless of open time. Must be at least 10.

My husband did it recently and really enjoyed it. They got to see a lot of the backend workings in the roundhouse.

My husband and I did it in Feb. of this year and we really enjoyed it. Depending on time of year make sure you are wearing warm enough clothes. It seemed warm enough when we started the tour but when we got back to were the trains are kept a really cold wind was blowing and I thought I was going to freeze! I know I wasn't the only cold person in the group either. Depending on how into trains your son is and how old he is is a consideration. I think a younger child would probably be bored unless he is a big train buff. We only had one child on the tour with us and he really looked bored. He was maybe 12 or so.

Thank you. Did you have to call to make the reservations? Is the tour available everyday or just certain days?

It is a great tour, very interesting! And you are allowed to take pictures both onstage and backstage, except for a few areas that you will be told 'no cameras'. I've taken many of the tours and if I recall correctly, this is the only one where backstage photos are permitted.

Don;t forget the discounts...AP, DVC and Disney Visa, all 15%.

Enjoy.

Just another positive vote here. My DH and my son did it in July 2015...and LOVED it! My son (who was 11 at the time) came back full of interesting facts about the trains. Of course, he has always loved trains also. They had a great time.

We called to make the reservation and I do think it is only certain days, but they will tell you when you call.

There are YouTube videos people have taken of the whole thing. If you watched one, it might ruin it for you, but maybe you could scan thru one to get an idea. And you can tell the cast members knew they were filming it and didnt seem to have a problem with it. So it looks like you could snap photos as well.

I have done this tour, and it is one of the best Disney tours I have ever done! The tour date I did got us into the park 30 minutes before the park opened, and I got one of the best pictures of Main Street/Cinderella Castle I have ever gotten, because there was no one in the park besides us. The workers were not out on Main Street either which allowed for us to take pictures. If you love trains, or love hearing about the history behind the steam trains in Disney Theme Parks, I highly recommend this tour. I would call and check if it is happening, because I have read somewhere that this tour is not happening for about 2 months in 2017 I think. I forget which months.

I have done this tour, and it is one of the best Disney tours I have ever done! The tour date I did got us into the park 30 minutes before the park opened, and I got one of the best pictures of Main Street/Cinderella Castle I have ever gotten, because there was no one in the park besides us. The workers were not out on Main Street either which allowed for us to take pictures. If you love trains, or love hearing about the history behind the steam trains in Disney Theme Parks, I highly recommend this tour. I would call and check if it is happening, because I have read somewhere that this tour is not happening for about 2 months in 2017 I think. I forget which months.
I think it's off during RR refurbishment, which is January 9-February 16. Not sure the extent of this refurb, but I suspect "refurb" of any kind is cause enough to shut down the tour during that time period.

I will echo what others have said, it is a wonderful experience. DW, DS and I did it a few years ago. There are plenty of opportunities to get unique pictures, and you learn quite a bit about the railroad, and Walt during the course of the tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter