Beginning in January - 18% Gratuity....

How do you feel about the new 18% gratuity charge?

• I AGREE

• I DISAGREE

• I DON'T CARE

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the 2008 dining plan it says:

Gratuities are not inculded unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (eg. alchoholic beverages).

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/08Dining.pdf

The email they are talking about said starting January 2008 for the Disney Dining Experience cardholders (those with annual passes/Florida residents. I'm sure it will be for everyone, though, because I can't see them only doing it to DDE holders.

What I don't understand is why they took off the automatic gratuity on the DDP if they are just going to tack an automatic 18% gratuity on the bill anyway.

The email they are talking about said starting January 2008 for the Disney Dining Experience cardholders (those with annual passes/Florida residents. I'm sure it will be for everyone, though, because I can't see them only doing it to DDE holders.

What I don't understand is why they took off the automatic gratuity on the DDP if they are just going to tack an automatic 18% gratuity on the bill anyway.

I have no idea, but you cant dispute what the DDP brochure says..... it says there is NO automatic gratuity. I'm not sure how that means that everyone will be forced to the 18% gratuity. Maybe you can explain it to me.

Just do not understand them saying ----

regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations.

Really confusing and hope it is just for the DDE card.

Got the same email.

I'm assuming its for table service only.

Glad I'm going to Disney this month. Don't think I can afford going next year with all the new resort and food price hikes.

herc.

Hmm... This was an increase??? Maybe that's why it's now being added? Seems to me this was already part of the cost.

(And I am sure Disney does not meat counter service. This email was sent to DDE people. DDE can be used at VERY few CS places)

I have spent some time on this board and think that this is something Disney had to do. Sorry, but we have all read the "well Disney probably paid the resturant $20 for the meal on DDP so I am going to tip $2" posts. Or the poster who a few years ago posted "I don't tip because I can't afford to eat there if I add a tip and I won't ever see those folks again".........

This sure does make the free dining plan offered the last couple of years look even better!

I'm on hold with WDW-DINE right now....apparently I'm not the only one calling to ask about the automatic gratuity :rotfl2:

We can all make assumptions but what we know now is that only DDE people got the email and only DDE people are mentioned in the email. DDP brochure states gratuity not included or added in unless noted (Spirit of Aloha it is included).

Other than that, everything is speculation and until we hear from Disney we won't really know anything. I still think it is just DDE in order to keep people from under tipping on the discounted amount.

DDP = No gratuity unless your party is 6 or more.

DDE = Gratuity

Quick Service = No Gratuity

Regular Dining (Table Service) with no plans = No Gratuity unless you are a party of 6 or more.

It's gonna be an interesting year to say the least! :confused3

I wonder if this is something that the servers are getting for DDE customers because of losing the automatic gratuity on the DDP.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Disney has now changed the policy on gratuity. I am assuming they are referring to table service restaurants. Here it is ...

We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

I have sent them a email asking that if we believe the service doesn't warrant a tip can we speak to the manager about removing it. I will post when I hear back.

While it isn't often, there are times when we have not left a tip due to poor service. We always tip 20-25% since I have been a server before, the sad thing is that when it is just added to my bill unless the service is spectacular in the rush to leave and get back to the parks I might not think of leaving extra. But, I realize that there are those who do not tip at all so in the long run servers will probably be better this way.

Just wanted to let those with upcoming vacations know so they can add the extra into the meal budget. Those with Disney Dining Plan should also remember it as this past year it was included in the price, now you will be charged for it automatically at the restaurant.

I'm looking forward to all the new offsite places we will be trying next year. Even paying 20% tip and petrol costs it'll still be cheaper.I don't mind tipping, I nust won't be told what I have to tip.
My view is the servers will get stiffed as instead of buying a bottle of wine people will cut costs by drinking soda, more will share meals or just go for dessert.
Will none Disney restaurants such as pPlanet Hollywood, rainforest cafe adopt this policy.

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the Dining Plan ??? I thought gratuties were not included starting in 2008 :confused3

I just got off the phone with DDE, they stated that the automatic 18% gratuity is to be added to ALL table service restaurant bills (for everyone regardless of having a DDE card or not) starting Jan 1, 2008.

She also confirmed that no it would not be added to bills at counter service locations.

I don't think it is just for DDE card holders. They way they worded it was really implying everyone. I am just waiting on their response.
Our DDE expired on 10/31 I have not renewed. Our AP's expire in February and I don't think we will renew them for 2008.

I just received this email about new policies regarding the DDE card. At the bottom of the email it states:

We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size. Thank you for your continued support.

Cheers!

The Disney Dining Experience Team

-This was not directed at just the DDE, but ALL food & beverage transactions! Even with the dining plan, servers are still going to get the 18% tip & YOU are now forced to pay that out of pocket! I'm all for tipping good service, but I don't like the idea of being forced to tip for bad service as well!

I may think twice about buffets, if this is going to apply to us on just the DP as well. popcorn::

1) Mandatory tips (except for big parties) is a big no-non with me.
2) I will not be dictated to as to how much tip to leave.
3) I already only eat at five WDW table service restaurants.
4) And, only two of them are Disney-owned.
5) Now, I will probably skip all WDW sit down eateries.

NOTE: In addition, if they continue to make tipping mandatory, I will blast WDW dining every single chance I get - on line or in person. This is simply not right.

I just got off the phone with DDP (wdw-dine) and they stated that the automatic gratuity for persons with the DDP is only for groups of 6 or more. For groups of less than 6 persons, there is NO automatic tip.

Actually the email doesn't talk about the DDE, this is what it states:
We would also like to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort will be implementing an across property policy change regarding gratuity at all food and beverage locations. Effective January 1, 2008, 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size.

I called a friend show is high up in the food/beverage dept for Disney and it is across the board, all sit down restaurants for everyone who eats on Disney. It's regardless of party size and of whether or not you are on the dining plan. It will be an 18% for all. He also said that many servers are not thrilled when people are on the dining plans as they don't always tip well. Now that the DDE is also open to more people, it also doesn't thrill many of the servers. People should be tipping on what the meal is without the 20% discount, not after, and many don't do that either.

Personally I feel it's another step down in dining at Disney because of the dining plans they now give away or push. It's limited the menus, I feel the service is now lacking, etc. Hopefully the guarantee of a tip will change that. You do have a right to have the 18% taken off and to put your own tip though and that is usually what I do at restaurants that have this policy. I'm a very generous tipper, 20% is usually the minimum of what I give and I don't like being told what I have to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter