been asked 1000x

Gooshy

Mouseketeer
In your opinion, is the dinning plan worth it? We will be there for 7days 6nights. This for a family of 4. :hippie:

For us it isn't. We really don't do a lot of TS meals - only about 1 every 3 days. We also generally share 2 CS meals between the 3 of us, not necessarily to save money, but because the portions are just too big for us to finish a whole meal by ourselves and leftovers aren't practical.

Over 9 days we ate exactly what we wanted when we wanted and payed $600 less than we would have on the DDP. We also wasted less food.

In your opinion, is the dinning plan worth it? We will be there for 7days 6nights. This for a family of 4. :hippie:

First "worth" is subjective (some don't care if they pay more, they like everything paid up front) and the only way to know financially is do the math. :teacher:

Also consider if you would really buy the same food if not on the plan.

For my family it would not be worth it since one son eats very few foods and we wouldn't "get our monies worth".

Both times I have got dining plan "free promotional thingy". After seeing some of those tickets, I would say yes, it's worth it! It is worth I to me because I don't have to worry about how much $ I'm going to need to feed my family. I am sure there's ways to save $ without getting dining but I like the no worry part of it !

Our past 3 trips have been with the free dining promotion. Free is worth it. If we had to pay I do not think I would get a dining plan.

On the last trip we only ate dessert 2 of 5 nights at the table service and only 3 times with the counter service meals. I do like that the refillable mug is included in the dining plan.

We do book a table service meal every day because I enjoy the break from the parks and the heat. Some times I wanted appetizers and no entree but was not able to do that on the plan. I also do like the convenience of having everything paid before arrival.

It depends on how much you plan to eat and where you plan to eat.

I have two small kids who don't eat that much and are just as happy eating PB&J as anything in the quick service restaurants.

When my wife and I went by ourselves we did get the meal plan once and we liked it, but we did feel like we were basing where and what we ate based on the meal plan.

The dining plan is too much food for me. If you prefer to know how much your food is going to cost before your trip I would purchase the dining plan. It doesn't save you any money unless you are going to eat a lot of buffets and also choose the most expensive things off the menu.

:) I have priced the plan this year for my parents. DH and I have gotten them a studio at AKV, so the room is taken care of. The cost for the DDP is $889. I just feel like that is alot of money. We used the TIW card on our last trip 11/12 and spent $1200 (group of 4 loving to eat TS, adults)--we ate at Fulton's 3 times, Brown Derby, Cali Grill, Bluezoo--and it included appetizers, entrees and desserts for these TS meals. My BIL is 6'1" and about 300# and DH and I are in to the 200s so you know we can eat and it is one of the reasons we travel to Disney. There are no really nice restaurants in our town. So I am going to talk to Dad and and tell him I think we can go cheaper this year OOP--even if the DDP is convienent. I mean there are small fridges in the rooms now and we would use that to our advantage too.

Disney portions are very large and easy to split. Then you have to get out of the restaurant and "walk" to the gate or resort or ride or whatever very very full and yes, then there is the planning. Now I like the planning but then we go to Disney every year and no longer "go commando" (yes, the 200# doesn't help but moving on). I think they are starting to price themselves way too high.

I would go to Allears, price out the food you want and then compare the cost. Like I did the other day.

DDP was such a better value when the appetizer and tip was included--it is fun to think back to the good ole days.

With the cost of the DDP going up I was not able to plan meals where we would 'get our monies worth'. DH and I would get the desserts even if full because we have to 'get our monies worth.' We also stay in the villas, so we have access to the kitchen to curb the breakfast costs and a few lunches.

I would think the plan could work if you don't have a kitchen and will be eating every single meal out and will be ordering the most expensive item on the menu. Utilizing the mug would help justify the price too.

I wonder if buying Disney gift cards and using them would work for people who want to have things prepaid.

If you haven't visited Disney often, it does make it easier. But I've found that now that we know DW pretty well, it doesn't make sense for us.

We were just there in Sept and will be booking for next September on Monday. We've been twice, this will be our third time. We will be doing the DxDDP if for no other reason than it is all paid for before we get there. Even with two adults two kids last Sept I added up all the receipts and we would have saved about $30 for the trip. That was only about a 1.5% savings but we did not have to worry about getting to the end of the trip and wanting to go to Cali Grill or Fultons and worry about the cost.

When we added in we got the DDP free and upgraded to the DxDDP the savings was even greater. Even without FD and with the major jump for 2013 for the DxDDP we will still get it.

Stacy

We did it once and it did save us money - had we gone to those restaurants off plan. That said, we won't be doing it again. We ate more often than we otherwise would have. Had we eaten our "normal" style, we would have saved a lot compared to the dining plan.

For our family, the DP is worth it--only for my DH's peace of mind. We have been to WDW twice with the DP and one of those was 13 days with the deluxe plan. It does take a little planning, but that is fun for me!:love: DH was able to just enjoy our time.

We just went to DL in October and even though I budgeted for food and we had more than enough to cover whatever we wanted to eat, he cringed every time we paid for food. Seeing the dollar amount every time we ate really affected his mood and ability to just relax and enjoy the trip.:sad:

If you're a newbie, it seems to take a little stress off. The reality though is you very rarely save money on the dining plan. And if you're not ordering the most expensive items on the menu (which you'll feel obligated to do), you're really going to come out behind. I'd go OOP.

pasofan said:
For our family, the DP is worth it--only for my DH's peace of mind. We have been to WDW twice with the DP and one of those was 13 days with the deluxe plan. It does take a little planning, but that is fun for me!:love: DH was able to just enjoy our time.

We just went to DL in October and even though I budgeted for food and we had more than enough to cover whatever we wanted to eat, he cringed every time we paid for food. Seeing the dollar amount every time we ate really affected his mood and ability to just relax and enjoy the trip.:sad:

Same here. Just knowing its paid for o now one nickels and dimes is why it's "worth" it for us.

Agree with this.

As for me I just did the price comparison. The Regular Dining plan cost $727.50. Our Hoop De Doo, 2 Character buffets (1 in park pre park opening!) alone would be $420.80. We also will be eating at T-Rex and this would be $100+. so thats roughly $527.50. That leaves us with 10 Quick Service meals and 10 kids Quick service meals and 20 snacks at a price of $200. Each one of the Adult QS meals would be roughly $12.50 and the kids $6. Thats $185.

Which means 20 snacks for $15.

Do we save money? Maybe a little. Do I save peace of mind... YES!

For those of you who are willing to pay more for the convenience factor: How much are you willing to overpay? We saved $600 over 9 days by not using the DDP. I can't imagine paying that much for convenience.

That's a good question.
We actually got the SD&P package. Thus the dinning portion or difference then booking with the 30% discount, cost an additional $480.
With the dinner show and character meals it will be well worth it, without it would be close.
If we had no plans on dinner shows or character meals I would say if it was within $100 of break even then I would be willing to pay for the convenience factor, to answer your question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter