Bee Balm

sorcerormickey

DIS Veteran
Should my Bee Balm be showing signs of life yet? Everything else is growing like crazy with this hot weather we've been having, but nothing from the bee balm.

I planted it early last year and it did beautifully. I've never had bee balm before, so I am not sure when to expect signs of life.

Sorcerormickey - Zone 5 Gardener

It should be showing signs of life. Mine is up about two inches, I think are climates are about the same. Sometimes the original plant does not return, but there are lots of runners in the area. Check in a circle 1 foot around the original plant for off-shoots.

Bee Balm is one thing I have had no luck with yet...I have got numerous free plants from Michigan Bulb..I might just see if i can buy one from Home Depot or something..

My bee balm also seems to "travel" around the garden. I checked it out last night. It is about 4 inches tall right now.

Bee balm can spread out of control. It also gets mildew and needs a fungicide. I now plant mine in poor soil at the edge of the garden so I can control it. One of my favorites.

How's the bee balm look now sorcerormickey?

Last year was the first for mine, and it was rough. So far it's up about 5-6" and since it's so young, of course it looks pretty good. I'll have to watch it carefully this year.

KIm :)

what does bee balm look like?..I am probaly pulling it thinking it's a weed...:eek:

It's not looking so good for the bee balm. :( It is still in the exact same spot, but it is only up about half an inch, and its been that way for about 2 weeks. I'll just have to wait and see.

I have to agree with marlasmom - it can get out of control. I planted two plants about 5 years ago, and I transplanted some plants to my rock retaining wall about 3 years ago. It has completely taken over. It will grow in about anything here. I've been pulling it like weeds since it is taking over some of my other perennials. It's pretty - but chokes out other flowers it is near.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter