Because the Ocean Never Sleeps (SeaWorld Trip Report)

Kestryl

DIS Veteran
I know “SeaWorld” based trip reports aren’t particularly common, but I figured that some of this info may be useful to anyone considering or planning a trip revolved around SeaWorld.

A short background: We are two adults, early 30s, married, no kids. We have been to SeaWorld Orlando twice before. I went to SeaWorld Ohio many years ago.

This trip was an add-on for after a Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser stay in mid-March 2023. I’m going to spin that trip report into a separate thread because it truly felt like a totally separate trip and I want to go heavy on spoilers. This time, we did SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, and the Magic Kingdom. (I swear we have done other Disney parks, it’s just that we were trying to do some new things- and it was a little cheaper than a Disney trip, to be honest.)

I’m going to include prices we paid, because I know that can be somewhat opaque. Keep in mind that this is a spring break week. My husband is a teacher, so we’re limited on when we can go and often are “stuck” paying higher prices.

I’m going to skip ahead to the SeaWorld part of our trip!

Tuesday: SeaWorld Start

Just setting the stage here: after checking out from the Halcyon, we headed to Disney Springs for a few hours. Finally tried Gideon’s. The wait was about 20 minutes, we only got one cookie to split, it was pretty good. Late lunch at Jaleo, then walked around for a bit before heading to our hotel to check in at 4 pm.

We had a Discovery Cove package that included a five-night hotel stay, Discovery Cove entry for one day, and SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens entry for a 14-day period. We weren’t there for 14 days, obviously, but it was technically part of the package. We also had a card that granted us discounts and reserved seating at the shows. Oh, and free parking at the parks. The entire package cost $1488.22.

Our hotel was Element Orlando International Drive. On our previous SeaWorld trips, we had stayed at La Quinta. For some reason, that wasn’t part of the package this time around. We opted for the Element, which was probably a bit more than we would have paid for the La Quinta but also a tad closer to the parks. Parking was $12 a night. I hate paying for parking, but I will admit it was nice to have an actual spot and not have to park along the side somewhere like we previously had to do at the La Quinta. The hotel had a happy hour (around 5-6) with free wine and beer and small snacks (cheese and crackers). Breakfast was also included- cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread products every day, and a revolving offering at the grill (we saw omelets and pancakes mainly, but we didn’t eat here every day).

The room was nice and large. I’m not sure if every room is like this, but we had a “kitchenette” with a fridge, microwave, and sink. The bed was comfy, the place was clean. What more can you ask. (We typically don’t spend a lot of time in our hotel rooms, we’re too busy doing other things.)

Then it was off to SeaWorld.

We headed to the manatee area, stopping briefly to see the pelicans. Despite us having been to SeaWorld before, this was our first time seeing the pelicans. I don’t know if it was a situation of the bird flu keeping them off exhibit or if we’re just that clueless.

But then it was checking out the manatees. They had six (I believe) in the main area. Two of them are more or less permanent residents. The rest were rescued young ones that have to put on some weight before they get released. There seems to be a constant influx of lettuce for the manatees to eat, and they’re constantly munching on something.

IMG_7935.JPG

There’s another manatee area in the back behind the public area, which I’ll talk about later- we did a Rescue Tour to see it. I don’t think this area is typically accessible, though it was opened up during a previous visit.

They have turtles as well. I’m not as well-verse in the turtles. I know there are a few different species, and they have varied injuries. One is missing the lower part of her jaw.

Both the turtles and manatees have above water and underwater viewing areas.

We took a detour to ride Kraken. It was listed as a 15-minute wait, but it was maybe 5 minutes. This coaster is a little older and rougher- it was built in 2000- but honestly, I’ve been on newer coasters in much worse conditions. In general, the coasters have low waits at night. During the day the waits can cross into the hour plus mark.

We then headed over to the Shark Encounter aquarium to take a look at the sharks and fish there and go through the underwater tunnel. At this point in the night, crowds had dispersed. (On a previous visit, the tunnel was jam packed during the day.)

We also took a ride on Mako, a “hypercoaster” with a 200 ft drop and a 73 mph speed. It’s relatively new (opened in 2016) and is still pretty smooth. The queue has a bunch of fun shark facts, but the wait was, pretty much a walk on. We basically walked straight to the platform and got on the next train.

We looped over to the Wild Arctic to see the belugas- and seals, apparently. I mean, we knew there were seals, but we didn’t know the seals were in with the belugas. We asked the worker there and she said it was a newer thing. It turns out the belugas and seals like to chase each other. (More on the belugas later.)

We closed it out with an orca show. For the shows, the reserved seating pass was real handy. We could show up 10 minutes before the show started and know we would have a good seat. The crowd wasn’t so bad on a Tuesday night, but the stands were totally filled over the weekend.

We typically have a rule that while we’re on vacation, we can’t eat from anywhere we can at home. We broke that a lot this trip. While the Seven Seas Food Festival is great (when done right), we find the food in SeaWorld and Busch Gardens to be… lacking. And way too expensive for what it is. And it was difficult to predict waits for food and when certain stands would close. To add insult to injury, SeaWorld has been tacking on a 5% fee to cover increasing costs for supply and labor. It’s absolute crap. Just increase the price and be done with it, don’t try to sneakily add this in. Anyways, we opted for a lot of late-night fast food. This night it was Taco Bell. $13.26 for some tacos and nachos for two adults, way better than splitting a BBQ sampler platter for $41 after waiting 45 minutes to order. (Busch Gardens. Never again.)

Wednesday: Discovery Cove

For those who haven’t been, Discovery Cove is advertised as an all-inclusive day resort. Pretty much everything is provided: food, wetsuits, sunscreen, towels. You can pay to add on activities (such as dolphin swims, feeding the rays, etc.), photos, or premium alcoholic drinks. (There are beer and wine options included as the “all-inclusive” part that don’t require paying extra.) You have access to the Freshwater Oasis (a small loop), Serenity Bay/Wind-Away River (lazy river), the Grand Reef (snorkeling with fish), and the Explorer’s Aviary (feed the birds). Dolphin Lagoon is where the dolphin swims happen. That’s not automatically included- that’s a higher ticket tier. But you can watch the dolphins, and there is an area with an underwater window to view them as well.

Unfortunately for us, the projected high of the day was 65 degrees Fahrenheit- and we didn’t hit that until late afternoon. When we first got there, it was in the mid-50s. Before noon, it was just below 60. So it was a chilly day. Thankfully, the water is warm, and even at these temperatures the coral reef still felt warm. I had found reports of portable heaters being set up on cold days. We did not feel these until later in the morning. For whatever reason, they just weren’t out and on when we first arrived. They also had long-sleeve wetsuits available. Back in October, we had opted for the short sleeve wetsuits. You can also get vests. This time around, we quickly opted for the long-sleeve wetsuits, which was a good choice. We were pretty… well, warm isn’t the right word. But only our feet were freezing. The rest of it was bearable.

Back in October, we had done the swim with the dolphins experience, so we opted out of that this time around. (The dolphins are well worth it though- highly recommended if it’s your first visit.) We did sign up for the Flamingo Mingle. (This was $210.88 for the two of us.) Our flamingo tour was first thing in the morning. Our tour had three groups- a family of five, a family of three, and us. First we were walked over to a locker set so we could change into our wetsuits and store everything in a locker.

The flamingos are allowed to choose to come on this interaction. We had five flamingos come out to visit. We walked with the flamingos to the area behind the Grand Reef, and we were given trays of food to feed them. After the introduction, they led one group to the water to interact with the flamingos while the rest of us stood on a bridge overlooking the reef area and an employee filled us in on some info about the reef. We went last with the flamingos. I even got a “hug”- where they rub against your leg. Then it was a walk to a photo spot with the flamingoes, then parade walk back to end their tour. The whole thing was just over an hour (including the time to change into our wetsuits). I do recommend this tour and would probably do it again (after I try some of the other tours).

We did buy the photos from out Flamingo Mingle. The photo package was $67.10 (I track my expenses very closely)- we had a discount from our hotel package. The photos were fantastic. I still wish photos weren’t that expensive. I want the photographers to get paid, obviously, but I just feel like it should be part of the price, you know? I wonder how many people opt to buy.

After this was breakfast. The breakfast isn’t particularly remarkable- scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, French toast sticks. The best part was the hot chocolate, but you had to ask for it inside- it wasn’t out by the coffee or other drinks.

We spent some time feeding the birds. They have a few points throughout the aviary where you can pick up cups of food for the birds. We didn’t have many takers, but there is an area where the small birds seem to always be game for food.

IMG_7491.JPG

Then it was to the Freshwater Oasis to try to warm up a bit. The Oasis has the warmest water, followed by Serenity Bay/Wind-Away River (the lazy river). The Grand Reef is cooler. I think the Dolphin Lagoon is coldest. I think pretty much everyone was in the oasis- it was relatively crowded. I don’t blame them, the water was nice. You can see otters and marmosets while swimming in the oasis. The otters were pretty active. The marmosets were not out- a keeper said they have a warmed inside area so they weren’t likely to come out unless it warmed up a bit.

There is a small area connected to the oasis with “chairs” that are submerged in the water. It’s a nice place to relax with a drink, so that’s what we did.

Note: as part of our package, we had the premium bar added on for “free.” My husband had two drinks and I had four. The drinks are good- I had the Aloha Sunrise (twice), a hibiscus drink, and something else with pineapple that was blue. My husband had a strawberry daiquiri and a margarita, which was VERY tequila forward, if you catch my meaning. I would probably get a drink in the future, but I don’t know that I would go out of my way to purchase the package. We just don’t drink enough to justify it- the only reason we got the number we did was because it was already included. I think the package would have been $40 each. Individual drinks were about $14 each otherwise.

We then decided to hit up the buffet for lunch. The menu changes over time. This time around I had a coconut salmon with rice, a veggie wrap, and side salad. And a bunch of desserts! The food isn’t the best I’ve ever had, but it’s pretty good, and far better than breakfast.

Also offered throughout the day were snacks- pizza, dole whip, chips, cookies, soft pretzels.

I ended up shedding my wetsuit at this point. I had to use the restroom, and it’s such a pain to pull a wetsuit back on. I opted to drop off the wetsuit because I know I could get a “fresh” one later. (Just keep in mind that you run a risk of them running out of your style and size- on this particular day, the long-sleeved suits went fast.)

Then it was back to the aviary for more of feeding the birds. (I’m a big fan.)

At this point it had finally warmed up so everything was much more bearable, so I opted for a short-sleeve wetsuit, and we hit up the river. The river winds it’s way around the oasis and actually goes through the aviary, which is super neat. (You do have to go under waterfalls in order to enter and exit the aviary from the river.) Some of the birds are better viewed from the river, and there is an entry/exit point to the river from the aviary.

Then it was to the Grand Reef. We saved this for last, because we knew it would warm up later. I think a lot of people had bailed on the park at this time, and there weren’t many people in the reef. We grabbed snorkels from one of the locker areas.

My husband and I are… very near-sighted, so to speak. Thankfully, Discovery Cove has prescription masks for you to borrow form the gift shop. They advertise that they carry up to -8.0, but from our trip in October it sounds like they go beyond it. I’m typically a -8.0, but I opted for a -6.0 because the water magnifies everything and I find I don’t need the stronger prescription.

IMG_7532.JPG

I LOVE the reef. If it hadn’t been so cold in the morning, I probably would have spent most of the day in it. It’s just such a joy to see fish swimming so closely to you. The rays sometimes even brush up against you. It’s a delight.

Then it was a quick loop in the river.

They close the waterways at 5 pm, so at that point we changed out of our wetsuits and headed out.

While the morning was colder than I would have liked, overall, the day was still incredibly relaxing.

Wednesday: SeaWorld- Ice Breaker

We headed over to SeaWorld to ride Ice Breaker. They had just removed the shoulder restraints. The ride is much, much better without them. Those restraints were not comfortable. We waited about 40 minutes- there were a lot of “skip the line” people who were prioritized ahead of us.

IMG_7551.JPG

By the way, if you’re interested in seeing Sesame Street without the crowds, do it at night. Hardly anyone is there. The parades and characters are done, but you can explore the area and just sit and chill. The rides and splash area were still running when we were there right before park close.

Our fast food stop for tonight was McDonald’s. $8.61 for some “dollar menu” items.

Thursday: SeaWorld and Belugas

If you want to see the penguins at SeaWorld, go first thing in the morning. They used to have a ride at the penguin entry point. That ride no longer operates, but they still do controlled entry to see the penguins, letting in small groups of people at a time. We typically see a 40-minute wait within a few hours of the park opening. We’ve seen waits as high as 80 minutes to enter the penguin area. But if you go first thing, there is (likely) no line, and you’ll go right in.

IMG_7581.JPG

The first penguin area is cold. I mean, it’s for penguins. Very occasionally, a penguin will “escape.” We’ve seen this twice, where a penguin jumped over the barrier. Don’t worry, just don’t touch them. The worker will collect them. (None escaped on this trip.) I assume this is part of the reason they want to control the entry. (The other is to avoid excessive crowds, of course.)

The second penguin area has a window into their habitat as well as an underwater viewing area. This place gets crowded quickly. Again, I highly recommend coming in the morning. (It’s possible late night will work as well, but we find some exhibit closures unpredictable.)

We took a short detour to the Jewel of the Sea Aquarium. I like the vibes of this aquarium- you’re in Atlantis, and there are tanks above and below you as well as in the walls. It’s small but worth a stop.

IMG_7611.JPG

Then it was time for Manta. I love flying coasters- the ones where you’re harnessed in and “fly” face down. Manta is no exception. Manta opened in 2009. The queue goes through an aquarium, so you can check out some actual mantas while you wait. We waited about 30 minutes to get on it. They have two loading stations, but one was closed, which is incredibly frustrating. It’s no wonder the wait on this had ballooned to 70 minutes by the time we got off. (Loading and operations at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are much slower than what I’ve experienced at other parks like Disney, Universal, Cedar Point, Dollywood, etc.) Unfortunately for me, I believe I acquired a massive bruise on my leg from slamming into the leg restraints at one point. Still love the coaster though.

And then- SEVEN SEAS FOOD FESTIVAL. We bought a lanyard with 15 samples to start off ($90.73, so $6.05 each sample). We ate a lot from Thursday to Saturday, so I’ll give a rundown on all of it at the end of this review. I’ll just point out now that this is the way to eat at SeaWorld. We used two lanyards over the course of three days- so $30/person/day. The lanyard is the best way to go- some of the items are $12, which is ridiculous for what you get, but good for $6. OK, more on that later.

After eating a bit, we headed to the Welcome Center by the Sky Tower to check in for our first tour: Beluga Whales Up-Close. ($243.17 for two.) There are two beluga tours. We did them both. This tour is about 45 minutes long and goes into the back area behind the beluga habitat. We had 8 people- one group of four, a mother/son, and us. In this tour, you touch, feed, and “train” the belugas. It was so freaking cool. Belugas, it turns out, are very squishy. They have a similar feel to dolphins, but much, much squishier. The one downside to this- and I’m going to be vain and petty about this for a moment- was the photos. You are supposed to get your photo with the belugas. I realize the belugas can do what they want. What is controllable is the placement of the other humans. “Our” beluga photo has us standing on the right of the frame… with the beluga directly in front of the mother/son couple. I do not understand why it was impossible to ask the other group to stand just 10 feet over against the wall. I mean, they asked us to move over. I bet their photos were great. $63 for the photo package. We bought it because I wanted something from this time (you’re not allowed to bring cameras in), but I regret buying them now. Again, totally realize it’s petty. Just want to point it out.

Then it was off to see the sea lions and seals. SeaWorld is doing some kind of maintenance around their area, so the only way to see them is to go through the Sea Lion and Otter Stadium. My husband really likes these guys, so he bought some food to toss to them. It’s $7/tray, or $25 for five. Each tray has five fish to feed them. If you feed them, cover your tray and try to avoid tossing them to the birds. Also, just feed the ones who look interested. We saw someone try to feed some sea lions that just were not interested at all, and birds ended up eating the fish anyways.

IMG_7665.JPG

We then went on the Rescue Tour. ($53.61 for two.) This was an hour walking tour in the backstage area behind the public manatee area. It was only us plus a mother and daughter. Our guide explained that the tours change day to day, and even throughout the day- it really depends on what’s going on. We got to see some of the rescue boats and the truck (which had just come back from a mission) as well as the vet labs. There were some turtles in the back rescue pools- she said they had just released some that had been treated for cold-shock. We were then taken to the second manatee rescue area with the tanks in the back. These rescued manatees may be recovering from injury or malnutrition. (There have been mass starvation events among manatees the past few years. It had gotten so bad that wildlife agencies are now providing lettuce for wild manatees, which is a huge intervention that they didn’t want to step down to.) Some of the manatees may be relocated to other rehabilitation centers. (Actually, we had just been at the Cincinnati Zoo last summer, and their manatees had come from SeaWorld. Those manatees were released later that fall.) The ultimate goal is to release them. Our guide said that a few had just been released, and they were hoping to release more in the next week if they passed their final check.

So. Yeah. Save the manatees.

IMG_7700.JPG

After that, we caught a dolphin show. These shows are high energy. And again, our reserved seating pass came in clutch.

Then it was another visit to the beluga habitat. (Tis was a very beluga-centric trip, apparently.)

And the Sea Lion and Otter Spotlight, which is a mix of comedy and education. You’re on a Pacific Point Marine Conservation Center “tour,” and some chaos ensues. Really, this show is a blast, and there’s some level of improv to it. It’s good family fun.

Friday: Busch Gardens

My enemy. So, we went to Busch Gardens last year. It did not go well. Waits were astronomical, it was a horrid time trying to find food (so many stands closed), it just wasn’t fun overall. The only reason I entertained the idea of going back was to ride Iron Gwazi again. And I heard the aviary was open.

So we went in with the idea that we were going to get on three coasters, visit the aviary, and get out. Which is ultimately what we did.

We got there just before park opening. First up with the walk-through bird area with the kookaburra and other birds.

PXL_20230317_144642861.jpg

Then was the aviary where you can buy food to feed the birds. $10 for a little cup. We bought one, because of course we did, I love to feed birds. Loved every minute of it.

Then Scorpion. They had been having maintenance issues in the morning, but we just kind of hung around for a bit because it seemed like it was going to open soon. It did, and we walked right now. Small coaster, probably not worth a long wait, but a good entry coaster.

Then it was the Sand Serpent, a little mouse car. Wait time listed as 20. We waited 30. Sigh. At least We got on it and it wasn’t double the wait time? I don’t understand how the loading takes so long. Get in, sit down, strap up, send ‘em. Of every park I’ve been to, Busch Gardens suffers the most from inefficiency.

We took a look at some of the animals- alligators, cheetahs, gorillas, elephants

Then Iron Gwazi. Our projected 60-minute wait turned into 75 minutes. Sigh. You know what would help here? A single rider line! Each train holds 24 passengers. There was ALWAYS an empty seat. On EVERY train. One train we saw had FIVE. Three empty seats was not uncommon! This is not hard! Either count people off and assign rows or do a single rider line. I love this coaster- it’s a top 5 for me- but Busch Gardens makes this so freaking hard.

After that, we went back to the aviary, fed the birds some more, split a sundae ($11.28), and high-tailed it out of there.

Traffic back to Orlando was horrid. We ended up taking a ton of backways. Google showed a bunch of accidents.

Friday: SeaWorld

Then it was back to SeaWorld to eat some more food, check out the belugas some more, and attend an orca show.

IMG_7843.JPG

FYI, regarding the orca shows, I’ve seen quite a few at this point, and they are never the same. They do have a script, but the orcas can decide to participate or not. So don’t get set on anything you may have seen before. In this particular case, they thought that Katina, Nalani, and Malia (the females) wanted to go out, and then Katina decided no and the others followed suit. So Trua and Makaio (the males) came out instead to do the segment known as “hunt.” It was kind of interesting to watch the trainers talk up to the control room to jump to different music queues.

Saturday: SeaWorld

We headed over to the “Key West” area to feed the rays. Much like the sea lions, it’s $7 per tray or five for $25. We also watched the dolphins over in their habitat as the vets worked with them to take readings check them out. Then it was to the manatees (of course), and some more food from the Seven Seas. A quick visit to the sea lions and seals- we had to cut our visit short due to the construction, as when there is a show going on in the stadium, they don’t let you leave or enter the viewing area.

Then we did the other beluga tour, known as the Beluga Encounter. There is some overlap to the Beluga Up-Close Tour (you still see the storage area with toys and certain displays), but instead of the back pool, you’re brought out into the “ice habitat” itself. You do training with the belugas and feed them. Unlike the Up-Close Tour, you do not pet the belugas. It was really, really cool. (FYI, the pictures from this beluga encounter were better. I think even if the photographer for the Up-Close was more capable of angles, the photos from the Encounter would still be better.) The cost for this tour was $176.69.

IMG_8007.JPG

So, did I like the Encounter or Up-Close Tour more? It’s hard to say… So the Encounter was 45 minutes, in the back pool, more expensive, and involved petting the belugas. The Up-Close was 30 minutes, in the habitat, cheaper, and the pictures were much better. They really are about even. I think it’s if you prefer to be in the habitat or if you would prefer to touch a beluga. I’m glad we did both.

We hit up one final orca show, and then headed out to our non-SeaWorld event.

Saturday: Magic Kingdom- TRON D23 Event

I’m only briefly going to recap this, since this review is more focused on SeaWorld. This was a special preview event for D23 members. Tickets were $50 each. We were told we would have access to Tron from 6-8 pm, but they actually let us in early. Instead of going directly to Tron, we went over to meet up with Donald (#1!). Then we went over to Tron and rode it 7 times. It is short, but it was immensely enjoyable. The music is fantastic, the speed is fun, and the lights are so cool. We also got free ice cream treats, a magnet, reflective bag, and a commemorative postcard/poster.

IMG_8109.JPG

We then had the rest of the night in Magic Kingdom. We focused on attractions (instead of the fireworks)- Tomorrowland Speedway, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan. Not bad for a $50 ticket.

And again, we ended up with a late-night snack from Taco Bell ($11.78).

Sunday: Departure

We had breakfast at our hotel and hit the road. We had debated going to the park that morning, but we didn’t feel comfortable leaving our loaded car in the SeaWorld parking lot. (We had made, erm, a lot of purchases as part of our Starcruiser experience earlier.)

Seven Seas Food Festival Reviews

Caribbean Market- Ropa Veja (Shredded beef, plantains). Good flavor. The plantains added a nice crunch.

All-American Market- Lobster Mac & Cheese (Sharp cheddar mac and cheese, lobster, crispy shallot, green onion). So nice we got it twice. Some of it may be luck, but we got generous chunks of lobster in both of our samples (on separate days). This is a personal favorite.

Polynesian Market- Lamb Ribs (Tender roasted lamb served with Hawaiian Slaw, sesame seeds, pickle red onion and a BBQ sweet & sour sauce). This pretty good. The slaw wasn’t for us.

Polynesian Market- Ahi Tuna Poke Nachos (Tortilla chips, wakame, furikake, spicy aioli, toasted sesame oil). The amount of tuna we got was much more than we were expecting. The aioli sauce was a little much for me, but I don’t handle spice well.

Polynesian Market- Frozen Polynesian Summer (Captain Morgan Pineapple Rum, coconut cream, mango, pineapple). Generally, the drink samples aren’t the most cost-effective way to use the lanyard, but we knew we had a lot of samples (30). This was delicious, and my only regret is that I didn’t go back to get a full size at any point.

North Atlantic Market- Classic Lobster Roll (brioche, tender butter lettuce, garnished with micro celery). I think this is a good value. The sandwich is small, but it is packed with lobster chunks.

North Atlantic Market- Fish & Chips (Deep-fried beer battered cod, sidewinder fries, tartar sauce, garnished with rosemary). It’s nothing exciting, but we got a lot- a giant fried fish piece and lots of fries. It would make a good “kids meal” on its own.

Sweet Sips- Island Dream Cupcake (Pineapple cupcake, Malibu frosting). I know these are boozy cupcakes, but I didn’t expect to get CARDED for this. (Especially because I never got carded for the actual alcoholic drinks.) I guess good on the employee for carding people. Anyways, it was good. The chocolate one looked to be the real show-stopper and popular cupcake.

Italian Market- Palermo Fontino Cheese Meatballs (Homemade meatballs with Fontina cheese and fresh herbs in Pomodoro sauce garnished with Garlic panzito). These are good, but you get only two. This wasn’t as filling as other options. Still, we got this twice, so that’s saying something.

Italian Market- Italian Beef Arancini (Arancini served atop San Marzano tomato sauce, garnished with fresh basil). Again, two balls. I think the meatballs were better.

Mediterranean Market- Moroccan Grilled Lamb Chop (Boursin whipped mashed potatoes served with tzatziki sauce, micro celery garnish). I don’t think this was particularly exciting, but it was good enough. I liked the potatoes.

Brazilian Market- Picanha Steak (Cilantro chimichurri, three bean salad). This seems to be a crowd favorite, and with good reason. Like the fish & chips, this is pretty much a kids meal on its own.

Brazilian Market- Pão De Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread, honey whipped butter). I personally do not think this is a good deal- it’s only two pieces of bread. But the bread is good. We had tried getting this last year and they were sold out, and even this time around on a separate trip to the Brazilian Market, they were sold out.

Brazilian Market- Frozen Guava Mint Caipirinha (Cachaca, guava, mint, coconut water, lime juice). This was refreshing.

Asian Market- Korean Corn Dog (Fish sausage, mozzarella cheese, yellow mustard, smoked ketchup). Look, it sounds weird, but it’s pretty good.

Asian Market- Deep Fried Dumplings (Asian vegetables served atop Ponzu sauce). They are dumplings. You get only two.

Asian Market- Bing Su (Salted caramel ice cream topped with caramel popcorn and caramel). The ice cream is pre-packaged, but this is a delightful treat. (I did not appreciate the teenager who scoffed at it, saying, “You paid $12 for that pathetic ice cream?” Nope, it’s called a sampler lanyard, it’s not my fault you paid $12 for the Korean Corn Dog.)

Irish Market- Guinness Beef Stew (Tender beef stew with sweet potato and roasted root vegetables). Mine was almost all beef- I’m not sure if that’s normal. We specifically got this the day before St. Patrick’s Day based on our experience last year with them running out.

Irish Market- Magners Original Irish Cider (Magners, Clonmel, Ireland). It’s a cider. My husband liked it. It was ok but I would have rather saved my punch for something else.

German Market- Pretzel on a stick. Specifically, the pretzel dipped in chocolate. Honestly, I do not understand how this hasn’t become a staple offered year-around. We got this three times. It’s popular and sells out often.

Gulf Coast Market- Impossible Jambalaya (Kidney beans, roasted red peppers, mirepoix, cajun broth). I appreciated this offering for being vegan- I feel like there aren’t enough vegan options overall.

Gulf Coast Market- Hurricane (Bacardi Dark Rum, passion fruit, orange and lime juices). It’s a little hurricane. Nothing out of norm.

Mexican Market- Tostada de Barbacoa (Guajillo Ancho Chile slow cooked shredded beef, Queso Fresco, and pickled red onions garnished with onion and cilantro). Lots of beef- so much that we needed a fork.

Mexican Market- Taco al Pastor (Mazina tortilla, chipotle ancho adobo chicken, grilled pineapple nappa cabbage, onion, and cilantro). They ran out of taco tortillas, apparently, because this was served like a tostada.

Mexican Market- Mexican Street Corn (Queso fresco with cilantro avocado crema garnished with tajin). Look, the corn is good. But this is absolutely note worth the price. Even on the sampler lanyard I felt like I was ripped off. Really, in general, the Mexican Market isn’t a good deal. Maybe it’s because we eat Mexican (and Tex Mex) a lot, so it didn’t feel special.

Glacier Bar- Seven Seas Bougie Doughnut (Strawberry cheesecake filling, strawberry buttercream, brown sugar crumble). This is another item that must be popular, because we had to visit three times to actually get one. It was good, but not the best dessert we had there.

Sounds like an awesome time!

I'm a fan of Busch Gardens because of the fantastic coasters & fantastic animal exhibits, but you are correct that they certainly linger over loading those cars. Surprised you didn't do Cheetah Hunt.

I did the Beluga tour back when it was a belugas & walruses tour in 2018. At that time, they said they were introducing the seals to the belugas. They were specifically practicing feeding the belugas with the seals present, to help reinforce with the belugas that the seals weren't a threat for their food.

If you get a chance to do the Commerson's dolphin tour at Aquatica, I highly recommend it. Very different personalities from bottlenose dolphins, orcas, etc - they're like the chipmunk attention span of the dolphin world. Plus they're adorable.

Your report was awesome!!
With all the details you included, I am sure many will be eager to visit SeaWorld.

For those that have never visited, your review will help bring in many to the park!
Thank you! And I hope so- I think SeaWorld gets overlooked a lot, and there’s certainly not as much info out there on how to plan a trip. Our first time a year ago, we didn’t even know they had belugas until the last day!

Sounds like an awesome time!

I'm a fan of Busch Gardens because of the fantastic coasters & fantastic animal exhibits, but you are correct that they certainly linger over loading those cars. Surprised you didn't do Cheetah Hunt.

I did the Beluga tour back when it was a belugas & walruses tour in 2018. At that time, they said they were introducing the seals to the belugas. They were specifically practicing feeding the belugas with the seals present, to help reinforce with the belugas that the seals weren't a threat for their food.

If you get a chance to do the Commerson's dolphin tour at Aquatica, I highly recommend it. Very different personalities from bottlenose dolphins, orcas, etc - they're like the chipmunk attention span of the dolphin world. Plus they're adorable.
I think we just pick bad times to visit Busch Gardens- spring break. (My husband is a teacher, so we’re a little stuck.) We did get on Cheetah Hunt last year! They were struggling all day and kept closing, but we jumped in line before it closed and thankfully it held out. It is a great ride!

We were so surprised about the seals. One of the workers said that occasionally a beluga will grab a seal with his mouth and terrorize the kids. Which is kinda funny to picture.

We did the Commerson’s dolphin encounter back in October and it was FANTASTIC. We met with Juan, specifically, and the trainer remarked that his little brain sometimes doesn’t let him focus, ha. For anyone else reading, I also highly recommend this one.

Just discovered this thread, and caught up on reading your TR. Thank you so, so much for the reviews, TR, all of it. DH was just able to get free military tickets for 1 day at SW or BG, and we're contemplating adding it to our June Disney/Universal trip. This report helped so, so much, giving us more to think about. DH and DS went to SW a few years ago, but I haven't been since the 80s. Looks like a wonderful time. I did just read that Mako was under refurb, and that does change things for us. Not sure if we're going to make the time to go to SW if that's closed. Thanks again for sharing all the details and TR!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter