Sarajoym83

Earning My Ears
The very first time I went to Disneyland was in June of 1994. I have this very distinct memory of there being a Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans Square one of the days of our trip and cast members throwing beads off the balconies to guests below. I had a red string of beads with a lobster on it for years from this. However, I’ve never had this experience since and I cannot find any evidence of it existing in the past online!

So basically I want to know if this is a fake memory my 10 year old self cooked up, or if this really happened!
So was any one else in Disneyland in 1994 and can confirm this was a thing?!?

The very first time I went to Disneyland was in June of 1994. I have this very distinct memory of there being a Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans Square one of the days of our trip and cast members throwing beads off the balconies to guests below. I had a red string of beads with a lobster on it for years from this. However, I’ve never had this experience since and I cannot find any evidence of it existing in the past online!

So basically I want to know if this is a fake memory my 10 year old self cooked up, or if this really happened!
So was any one else in Disneyland in 1994 and can confirm this was a thing?!?
I can't actually swear whether or not this may have happened, but it is definitely a thing in NOLA to toss your beads over balconies to people below, even when there's no parade going on. It could have just been someone doing just this or it could have been part of the celebration.

I feel like we had this happen before back in the early 2000s. You are probably not crazy but I also could be! 😆

I have pictures of my daughter with beads on in NOS from a trip in 2001 or 2002, i think it was November. If i remember correctly, she got them from a jazz band player, they were set up next to the exit of Pirates.

I have pictures of my daughter with beads on in NOS from a trip in 2001 or 2002, i think it was November. If i remember correctly, she got them from a jazz band player, they were set up next to the exit of Pirates.
I remember a similar occurrence at DLR. Seems it was awhile ago, may have been in the same time frame.

Yes! The Side Street Strutters would give out beads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter