• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beaches in San Diego???

. . . Someone mentioned Mexico, I definitely WOULD NOT do this. It is very dangerous over there as of late and crossing the border could be very time consuming. It just really isn't safe. Us San Diego people don't even go there!
We Los Angeles people don't go there either. I've heard many horror stories of theft and corruption -- and that's the police!

Woody

Shelly and Woody

The mexicans have always had thier own rules. My parents lived in San Diego for years and moved back east 10 years ago. We always went down there and enjoyed walking through the shops and eating tacos in the area. Is it just recently that you do not go down there or have you never been a fan?

We never had any issues coming and going - some times it took longer than others but we have never been hassled - I think it took us longer if we drove in rather than parking on the US side and going through the gates.

Thanks

I too would urge you to skip tj....I went there 9 years ago when it was safer, but recently there have been so many murders, it is just not worth it for some street tacos. I live in San Diego, and the only people I know who go to tj have relatives there. There are tons of spots for great tacos in San Diego that it really makes it a moot point to go to tj

I too would urge you to skip tj....I went there 9 years ago when it was safer, but recently there have been so many murders, it is just not worth it for some street tacos. I live in San Diego, and the only people I know who go to tj have relatives there. There are tons of spots for great tacos in San Diego that it really makes it a moot point to go to tj

Ok thanks - we will not make that trip .. going to Ensenada after the stop in SD any way. Will head to Coronado and Gas Lamp area for eats!

Coronado is IMO the prettiest beach in the United States outside of Hawaii.

However, the water is cold. Not cool, not lukewarm, cold. Most people who swim in it are surfers wearing wetsuits. I have swum in it in regular swimming trunks, but it is not for the faint of heart.

This is true of all beaches in the San Diego area, however.

Shelly and Woody

. . . Is it just recently that you do not go down there or have you never been a fan?
Living in L.A., I've been to Mexico many, many times.

I stopped going when the drug cartels started killing tourists.

Woody

There has been murders in TJ, but it has been drug cartel members killing each other, not tourist. Very similar to the gang killings in SD and LA. Tourist are just as safe in TJ as they are in Ensenada. Now, am I going? No, nothing there I need to see or want.

Kindsoul, here is the Port schedule, the Wonder will be there for several Fridays in September and October. Oops, not allowed yet to post links...just google San Diego Port cruise ship schedule.

For the locals. What we want to do in San Diego is Sea World, but the ship's excursion is too expensive for us.

I was thinking of taking a taxi but it seems that they are outrageously expensive from what is described in PP. The reason we thought of taxi was to save time, but any type of public transportation is good, but how long would it take?

Thanks for the tips!

SD native here. Unfortunately public transportation is not the best here for many of the tourist places you would want to visit, especially if you are tight on time. Your docking near the trolley station, but taxi would be the best bet.

Coronado is beautiful. Ferry ride over is nice, and it is easy to get around the island when you are there. There are also plenty of tours from your drop off location that can take you to the tourist locations. You will be very close to our historic Gas Lamp section with plenty of good eats. Hope this helps.

. . . Tourist are just as safe in TJ as they are in Ensenada.
Really!?!

In November 2011, Fox News reported that U.S. citizen deaths in Mexico were at an 8-year high, saying,

"The majority of U.S. citizen deaths in Mexico were concentrated in the northern parts of the country,
especially in the violence-plagued cities of Ciudad Juárez and Tijuana." FOX News

I would also avoid Puerto Valarta. In February 2012, 22 Carnival Cruise passengers were robbed at gunpoint while on an excursion. ABC News

Woody

Willing to bet I could find similar articles for Ensenada or Cabo, but that's not want I want to do, I was just trying to point out that anywhere in Mexico can be dangerous or safe. You just have to be smart where ever you are, stay in the tourist areas, dont got out at night unless you are sure where you are, and dont get drunk and/or be stupid.

Kindsoul, here is the Port schedule, the Wonder will be there for several Fridays in September and October. Oops, not allowed yet to post links...just google San Diego Port cruise ship schedule.

For the locals. What we want to do in San Diego is Sea World, but the ship's excursion is too expensive for us.

I was thinking of taking a taxi but it seems that they are outrageously expensive from what is described in PP. The reason we thought of taxi was to save time, but any type of public transportation is good, but how long would it take?

Thanks for the tips!

Bat,
Thanks- definitely going to check it out. As for Sea World- how much is the Disney excursion? A daily pass is $63 adult/ $55 kids if you buy on their website. There are buses that go from the terminal to Sea World, but it may be confusing.

Bumping to the top to see if anyone has more suggestions for things to do in San Diego.

We will sail out of there on a Monday and may fly in on Saturday, so that would give us a good day and half for sightseeing, eating, etc. Wonder how far the Wild Animal Park is from the port area.

Will also be looking for a hotel in the port area.

Also SD resident here. The USS Midway tour is a great experience, my DH, DDs (6 & 10), and I all really enjoyed the tour. It's self guided with audio for each stop, along with people to answer questions along the way.

To the PP who asked about the Wild Animal Park, that's not close to the port at all (at least an hour drive away). However, the SD Zoo, and Balboa Park with lots of museums is not that far from the port, maybe a 15 min drive.

Bumping to the top to see if anyone has more suggestions for things to do in San Diego.

We will sail out of there on a Monday and may fly in on Saturday, so that would give us a good day and half for sightseeing, eating, etc. Wonder how far the Wild Animal Park is from the port area.

Will also be looking for a hotel in the port area.

Wild Animal Park is at least one hour from Downtown San Diego, the San Diego Zoo is 5 min away.

Lots of good hotels in the area. Personal favorite is the San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina. Great views of the waterfront, Coronado, and Ocean.

The Gaslamp Area in Downtown - which is right next to the port (Or a block or two away) has great shops and restaurants. Very nice to walk around.

If its baseball season - The Padres play at Petco Park - which is in the same area.

Also SD resident here. The USS Midway tour is a great experience, my DH, DDs (6 & 10), and I all really enjoyed the tour. It's self guided with audio for each stop, along with people to answer questions along the way.

To the PP who asked about the Wild Animal Park, that's not close to the port at all (at least an hour drive away). However, the SD Zoo, and Balboa Park with lots of museums is not that far from the port, maybe a 15 min drive.

Thanks, I knew it was a bit of a drive, but have done the photo safari there once before and thought that my SIL might really enjoy that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter