Beaches and Cream --an ice cream review

Belle5

DIS Veteran
After about 20 visits to this former favorite I think we need to give it a long rest. Rude, rude, rude service, a hot restaurant and an untidy appearance have turned us off until we hear of some changes. There was not a smiling friendly face to be found in the work staff the day we were there at Beaches and Cream. The hostess asked us if we'd be willing to be split up (25 minute wait) or did we want to stay together? (25 minutes). Uhm--let me think--I guess if it doesn't trim any time off the wait--why would we split up? Fine. They crammed the 7 of us into one booth after about 35 minutes (kids falling off the benches). It was cool in the arcade--very warm in the restaurant. No one smiled at us. All the staff looked like they wished they were somewhere else. There was a large dirty white towel left on the floor smashed up against our table. I noticed as the workers would see water or whatever on the floor they would go grab a towel and just drop it on the floor and leave it there. There were 3-4 towels soaking up spills or stains right around us. What is that all about? It wasn't even as busy as we have seen it at other times. Our treats, not delivered with a smile, were pretty good. My oldest son and I split a No Way Jose and DH and second son each had some kind of frozen mocha beverage (I think) and the rest of the fellas had rootbeer floats. I am so glad we didn't have to sit there through the usual burgers and onion rings. Can they not expand this place? Move the arcade somewhere else. What a cramped unDisney experience.

This place gets our families award for worst service. We ended up having far better ice cream at Ghirardelli (twice) and would go back to Dolphin Fountain or Seashore Sweets long before returning to Beaches and cream for an afternoon treat.

I hate to give a bad review. This was not an isolated experience for us. We have noticed this trend at Beaches over the last several visits.

:(

We had our first visit here on Friday 5/23--the day we were leaving. We arrived at 11:15- very quiet--the waitresses were awesome--very nice and helpful and the Burgers were the best i have ever had!!! I wish I had gone here at the beginning of my vacation--then I would have been back every day!!!

It is amazing the way that two different parties can have totally different experiences during the same time period. I have seen that happen many times on these boards. There have been many times over the years I have written a similar report as you. This was not the case this time.

I hope that they realize how important service and cleanliness is and that the place maintains high quality-- I am glad I was there on a good day--I would have been so disappointed if I had the service you did. Isn't it sad to be back from vacation...looking forward to my next trip!!

We also had an incredibly rude waitress on one of our visits to B&C. We killed her with kindness and her attitude seemed to improve a little, but we couldn't wait to get away from her! We love the food there but the staff always seems so harried. Have to agree about the cleanliness issues and we always feel cramped(and sticky!) there.

Isn't that where the infamous "kitchen Sink" is??? Read about it here on someone's post......took the family and we had a blast. This place did not remind me of somewhere that I would go for a meal, but for icecream, it was fabulous. My kids still talk about the Kitchen Sink.

We loved Beaches & Cream when we went in March. I should say, though, that thanks to this board, we did not go late in the evening, we went at 11:00 am. We had a fun experience. We had to wait about 15 minutes (kids played in the arcade). We ordered the Kitchen Sink and our server marched it around the room and made a big fuss. Then she offered to take our picture. It was great.

NOW, I will say that after sitting by the pool in the evening and seeing the large number of people wanting to go in, I would never try going at that time. I think the place is really cute, but I think they need to enlarge it. The arcade doesn't need to be so big, they could use some room from the arcade next door and add at least another row of booths.

So if anyone decides to try this place, I suggest going at an off time.
DJ

Thanks for your review. We may have to rethink about going here, or at least, go at an off time.

As experienced "oldtimers" when it comes to Beaches and Cream--we knew enough to go at an "off" time-- and did. I think it's a gamble as to whether or not you'll be frustrated. You very well may have a fabulous experience and you very well may come away like us--thinking it's just not worth it to make a special trip over there any more. (Especially, when there are other great places to get your ice cream treat.) Personally, I don't think anyone can excuse away our experience.

Belle5,

I'm dissappointed that you had such a bad experience, and you have been faithful repeat visitors!

We have enjoyed our 3 visits there, but it is disconcerting to read such a bad review from a faithful fan.

Thanks for the info. I hope you have a better experience in future!

Sounds like you had a frustrating experience. The towel thing is a bit disconcerting. I agree that they should enlarge the place as it gets very crowded. The one negative about mu families experience there was that we also were cramped, 10 people on two tables, while other tables were empty. Otherwise both our food and server were extremely good.
Ghiradellis does have great ice cream also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter