Beach suggestions

CanadianDisneyDuo

Earning My Ears
We will be doing a couple non Disney days and wondering if anyone has beach suggestions near Anaheim? I realize it will most likely be too cool for a swim, but we are from the Canadian prairies, so the beach would be exciting to see!!

There's always Huntington Beach! I used to live there many moons ago and it's only about a half an hour to forty minute drive depending on the time of day/which way you go. Some other suggestions are Long Beach, Seal Beach, or Newport Beach. They're all relatively close to one another up and down the coast. It just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to be next to the water but you also want more shopping, water sports, games, and other types of things you could always visit Balboa Island specifically in Newport, too.

I love Huntington Beach for a beach day! You can walk along the beach, there's plenty of restaurants and shops, there will be people surfing regardless of the temperature, it's really a great beach town!

I like Crystal Cove State Park. It has tide pools and when I've visited during the winter, I've seen dolphins and seals. There's a historic district with old beach cottages (that the state parks still rent out) and a nice but pricey restaurant on the sand called the Beachcomber. Or, you can walk up the stairs and get a burger and a shake at the shake shack that has big views of the ocean. http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/

Corona Del Mar is gorgeous, and the Balboa Pier area of Newport is great for families!

It partly depends on the make-up / interests of your group:

Huntington Beach is probably the easiest to navigate, with plentiful parking and shops. But it can feel a bit crowded (and full of teenagers) for my taste. Great place to observe the surf city culture (shops, etc) and actual surfing. Nice pier too. And you've got Sandy's restaurant right at the pier (you can just barely see the water from the patio). Reasonable value for food, and a better-than-average beer list.

The Newport Beach suggestions above (Balboa Peninsula / Island, Crystal Cove, Corona del Mar) are all lovely, with high-end shopping available at nearby Fashion Island, and little boutiques on the Island & CDM in particular. Some regular beach type shopping too. And 2 piers. The Stuft Surfer's no longer there at 15th street (it's looked like a construction zone for years - they must've run out of money mid-remodel), so the peninsula restaurant scene has changed somewhat. I think Newport provides an appealing and relatively accessible mix for most visitors. In the Peninsula area, I LOVE Sabatino's - it's in a sort of marine industrial area (boats around, but mostly out of the water awaiting repair or sale or whatever), so it's not really a pretty spot but the food is excellent. They make their own sausage and it's delicious. Pescadou Bistro on the peninsula is fabulous, too, but fancy / expensive.

Laguna feels like a fancy beach town with plentiful art galleries and boutiques. It's probably the most picturesque. If you've seen pictures of SoCal beaches with cliffs, they're probably of Laguna. I don't make it to Laguna all that often because traffic and parking can be nightmarish.

I grew up in Seal Beach, so I'll add a plug for it - it's quieter than some of the other beaches, and easier to navigate / find parking, while maintaining the quaint main street vibe. There's a pier there, too. And a bar with full bottle mimosas for a reasonable price (the Hangout) where you can sort of see the pier / water area.

I love Newport Beach and Balboa Island. Cute little area. Huntington is great too, classic surfer type beach.

Yeah, definitely don't go IN the water. I'm originally from Hawaii. The first time I went to the beach...in SUMMER...and dove in the water. It was freezing. Plus I opened my eyes and was really surprised at how unclear the water is in California.

Yeah, definitely don't go IN the water. I'm originally from Hawaii. The first time I went to the beach...in SUMMER...and dove in the water. It was freezing. Plus I opened my eyes and was really surprised at how unclear the water is in California.
Yes, the water is less clear due to the lighter sand so it floats all the time mostly. In HI the sand is much heavier and stays mostly on the seabed.
Huntington is the beach I always recommend for tourists. They probably have heard of it, and it's so easy to get around. Check out the Pacific City shopping complex about 2 blocks south on PCH, over by the restrooms there, there are tributes to the old areas and beach culture. Lot 579 is great for quick foods and fun atmosphere to be in. 5-7-9 if people were unsure, is referencing the lifeguard towners out front. It was how people from the 60's and 70's would meet up, including my Mom who went there in the 60's.
Stay late enough to watch the sunset on the pier. Or get there early and eat at the Sugar Shack, it's history there and only open for breakfast. My Uncle used to eat there every day for 40 years as he worked at the oil well just across from Pacific City, he has a burger there named after him the Mel Burger... not on the menu anymore since he passed, but they all know it.... it's plain by the way... lol Enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter