Beach Club to start line

mickeymorse

DIS Veteran
Hi DISers. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can walk to the start line for the marathon from the Beach Club? We've never stayed here before and booked it for its proximity to Epcot. What are our choices to get to the start?

I believe the buses will be your only option unless you want to drive a car over yourself. Beach Club is around the back of Epcot and you won't be able to walk through the park since it is not open that early.

Hi DISers. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can walk to the start line for the marathon from the Beach Club? We've never stayed here before and booked it for its proximity to Epcot. What are our choices to get to the start?

Bus or car. I stayed at BCV last year and took the bus, and despite the fact that all of the Epcot resorts share a bus the drive was quick.

The buses are really your best option. Technically you can walk there but you can not walk through Epcot. You'll have to walk along the roads the buses use and I don't believe there are sidewalks the whole way so I wouldn't recommend it.

You can walk through the park back to your room after but you need park admission and if you don't have a park hopper you'll have to make Epcot your park for that day.

definitely no sidewalks for most of the walk. One can get to the red brick firehouse on Buena Vista on the walks then you are on shoulders. Plus one would add a good 3 miles to the day.

Take a bus unless the weather is really nasty then drive.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the bus is the only option. I really was hoping we wouldn't have to get there so early. Not looking forward to a 4AM bus ride.:headache:

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the bus is the only option. I really was hoping we wouldn't have to get there so early. Not looking forward to a 4AM bus ride.:headache:

I hear you on that note. I am staying at the Epcot resorts and last year I did the half and thought the same thing you did. I thought I could walk through Epcot to the start line - the race started at 530 and I could leave my room just before 5am. HA! That thought was a joke!

However there are plenty of buses but loads of people - last year I think they said there was around 25,000 runners in the half alone. A lot of waiting around too and so with all that here I am looking forward to it again!

Anyway, you would probably have gotten up real early even if you could just skip on over to the start line from your room.

I read a blog of a spectator in the 08-09 timeframe who thought they could take the short cut and found a young lady curled up against the I-Gate in a ball of tears. She had thought it was a simple walk to the start. The really sad side to this story was that it was when the race ran from two starts. The left course was in view of the girl as she sat there.

I read a blog of a spectator in the 08-09 timeframe who thought they could take the short cut and found a young lady curled up against the I-Gate in a ball of tears. She had thought it was a simple walk to the start. The really sad side to this story was that it was when the race ran from two starts. The left course was in view of the girl as she sat there.

She took a short cut and ended up against a gate?

So here was my BIG complaint of last year via staying at the Dolphin hotel last year. The front desk and Concierge had minimal knowledge on the bus schedule. This really really irritated me to no end. I asked about other options to the start line and no one knew. They just said they really didn't know. Seriously? I am wondering if thats what happened to that girl..no one enforced the fact that YOU NEED to take the bus.
At anyrate I walked over to the Meers shuttle desk which is the desk used to book shuttle service to the airport and got my info from them. I realize they would have the info as they are folks running the buses BUT the hotel needed to know too! I think the hotels NEED to enforce the fact that you have to take a bus..no walking and suggest no driving...just bus for saftey and control in mass numbers of runners.
I did complain to the hotel ... the manager was baffled and said she had handed out flyers to the front desk and concierge staff but apparently the ones I spoke to did not bother to read those fliers.
There, I got that off my chest.

Actually the Disney resorts are just as bad. We arrive on either Wednesday or Thursday and make a game of "Stump the Cast Member" I know the answer to almost any question runners will have through all the years... So we ask the obvious questions. Where will the marathon buses stop, and the schedule. Will there by any place to eat race morning? Where there be any special pre-race pasta meals? Are there any traffic issues? We have never asked about walking. We have found that CM's are not told much of anything about the future, only enough to solve problems during the current shift and maybe through the following day. THe 'test score' is usually an F until Friday morning. Then all of a sudden we see a wealth of knowledge - magical.

During our idle time on THursday and Friday we will camp out in the front desk area and if we hear confusion from a CM or worse, an incorrect answer, we kind of butt in and try to set the record straight. I was the guest concierge at Boardwalk for 30-45 minutes a couple years back as once i intervened, several other folks milling around came up with questions.

I feel bad for the folks who are not associated with the race who are attempting to catch a flight on race mornings - especially from the monorail resorts. Or those who are trying to blitz a park where we are slowing things up. I can see where folks would have a very sour taste in their mouth... especially since from experience, fliers blown under doorways or left by cleaning staff are the only notices that officially go out.

i actually never thought about the runner at the gate possibly getting a wrong answer or no answer from staff.

I thought of it because perhaps that runner (and who knows how many others in the past) may have asked someone who worked there and got no sensable reply. Perhaps then she thought, oh well, I guess I can walk there just as easy since it doens't seem to be an issue.

Disney likes to pride themselves on staff in the 'know'. The fact that this race has been going on there for now 20 years , one would logically conclude that they would have all their signals in line by now. Its really not that difficult to have basic info on hand for the staff...or at least a sign that reads

Bus Schedule for runners as follows:

It would help.

I hear what you are saying GG. You would think that 20 yrs later they would have all the bugs worked out. My worry about the bus times before the race stemmed from the beautiful weather we encountered during the 2010 half mary race. I'm from Canada and it was warmer at home than at Disney. Standing outside at 4:30am and having that combo of rain/freezing rain/snow falling on us was not the most fun I've had. Come to think of it, after the race waiting to get back on a bus as the body temp dropped wasn't much fun either. :eek:

I will go to bat a little for Disney resort folks on this... Just a little. Look at who is manning the concierge and check in desks. Most are first year or intern folks who have not been in that position during the last big weekend. Also, part of their model is to make sure each CM knows to the fullest extent possible what is happening today. Try to mush too much into their brain and then they know a little about a lot of things, but not much about any. That is not what the company was built on.

Where I find MORE fault is with the Disney Sports folks. As I look in the race program I see it has morphed very little in the 20 years. I can still pull text out of my 99 program and find it verbatim in the 2013 book. While I would hate for them to re-write the book every year, I do think that there are a significant number of issues that could be written better. Also, perusing the various forums and FB pages would show them that there are issues on race day that need to be addressed.

Frankly, I am amazed that the Mouse has not to date published a spectator guide for13. There will be several folks who are thinking they can just do like last year and all is good. That will clearly not be the case in 13. I know that Mary and I have had a few discussions on where to come and watch in the full. I think she is skipping the MK loop this year just because she would need to be at TTC at 0640, well before the busing resumes.

Maybe I should grab a few folks the next time I am in Orlando and when their schedule is not tied up with a race and show them a few things they could do better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter