Be careful with your points when you waitlist

dbond

DIS Veteran
I wanted to pass along a scenario we just discovered with our point balance and I wanted to warn some of you that may have the same circumstances.

This past summer, we had a 10 day 1 br booked at OKW in July. Job changes, other commitments etc. caused us to decide to cancel the trip. The original reservation was made with all borrowed points, so when I cancelled, well before the 30 days, my points went back into my account, but as borrowed points. Well, we worked some conflicts out and decided at the last minute to take our trip, but we would only stay 6 nights which means we wouldn't use all of the points originally borrowed. It was two weeks from our anticipated arrival date and I was thrilled to even get a room at all, but it was in 3 different segments at two different locations. I waitlisted for the 2 days I needed to tie the ressie together. Within a few days, I get the call that my waitlist came through, do I want to drop the studios I have in the middle and take the 1 br, YES! Absolutely! I was so excited I didn't ask my point balance, just assumed that they took care of it. Well, recently I contacted DVC to verify my point balance and discovered that I have points in holding! How could that be? I cancelled well in advance of my 30 days and no other cancellations occurred, or did they? Upon further investigation, discovered that when MS booked the 1 br from the waitlist, they took the points from the existing points because they saw that they were borrowed points and needed to be used , instead of using the points from the studios that we didn't need anymore because our waitlist came through. So, when the points from the studios that we dropped to pick up the waitlisted 1br went back in, they were within 30 days and put into holding. Capice?

The moral of this story. Be very careful, and don't get so excited about your waitlist that you don't pay attention to the end result. When I fully explained the occurence to MS, they did override the hold for me.

Good reminder. Always walk through everything carefully. When they give you cancellation #'s write them down. Same with banking #s. It's easy to let something slip when things get complicated. We are responsible for our own usage and tracking. MS will help but they don't make decisions on which points to use, etc., etc.

We had to change our Oct ressie's so when I called to change them I kept trying to go over which points would be put back and which ones would be used. Our originalk ressie was Oct 7-14 using 2 2002 points, 55 borrowed 2004 points and the rest 2003 points. The I told her I wanted to use the 2002, 2004 and the rest of the 2003 put back--well they went into holding anyway. Finally the rep told me they use all banked points first, then borrowed points and then last current points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter