BCV bus troubles

Originally posted by PKS44
We will have a car at the BCV (our own -we are driving)--but it seems like many people still recommend using Disney transport to the MK to avoid the TTC/monorail/boats---but at the Epcot resorts I really wonder if the problems there cancel out any advantage to using Disney transportation to the MK...thoughts anyone?

Paul

Our last trip we drove to MK 3 out of 4 times. The two times we went early before the general public (EMH and Early PS at CP) it was a breeze. We had front row parking... no tram....empty monorail....close when leaving. I would definately recommend driving during these times. The other time we drove was later in the day (~5pm). Parked not too far out, tram, etc. Not bad. However leaving was another matter!! MK was closing after Wishes. It took forever getting on the monorail. I was not happy. (although I'm not sure if the buses were better). The bus trip my DH and DD decided to give it a try. Went smoothly. DD8 loved the bus drivers corny jokes!!

Good luck.

How many of you that stay at BWV's actually walk over to the Swan or Dolphin and catch the bus there? I've heard that some do this instead of waiting for the buses at BWV.

We actually did this a few times- The swan was the first stop, BWV was the last- so we jumped off at the Swan and walked home to avoid the 25 minutes in the bus (we timed it once). I wouldnt recommend it with tired little kids though.

Two more votes for a rental car! I was in a wheelchair during my trips at spring break and in July, and I refused to use the buses! I couldn't walk much due to a leg injury, but I could easily get in and out of a car. By the way, if you are going to MK you need to "have dinner" at Contemporary. If you park at the farthest lot AWAY from the hotel, it's very near MK, and you won't need any transportation at all! It was wonderful not having to deal with any crowds, except all the people walking back after their "dinner".;) I have some real issues with the jerks who push in front of people in wheelchairs, but that's a different thread...:earseek:

We always rent a car. The only time we take the bus is for MK at night. It's easier when everyone is coming out after Spectro or Wishes to just walk over and catch the bus. If we go during the day, we take the car, it isn't bad grabbing the tram and the monorail then. Always drive to AK. Take the boat or walk to Epcot & MGM. Self parking can sometimes be an issue at BWV, we usually find a space or valet park as a last resort. To me, the stress of waiting for a bus, being packed in and having to make a bunch of stops is not worth it. I've never had stress driving at WDW.

Add our votes for ditching the S & D from the BCV bus route.

Last week in March we often waited too long (40+ minutes) for a bus to MK for EE of home after fireworks.

If it is just adults, walking to S or D for the early bus is an option worth considering. Or, taking the boat headed to MGM, getting off at S&D, than taking the bus back to MK.

YC & BC need their own bus if for nothing else but EE during "Magic" and "Premier" seasons. Heck the points prices should justify and extra bus for a few weeks.

We will be heading down in 11 days and staying at BCV. In the past we have used the bus to go to MK but am re-thinking this now. We do have a car rented so perhaps it will be easier to just drive.

On our last trip home to BCV in October I remember getting off the buses early several times and walking back - we just put our DD5 in the stroller. I also remember waiting a ridiculous amount of time(45 mins.) one night for a bus to MK after we had dinner at S&D.

I also remember another night after "Wishes" that we waited at least 30 mins. for a bus home. Shouldn't there be more buses on during peak times?

I too am grateful that we can at least walk or ferry to EPCOT and MGM!

Another part of the problem was not only was the bus late, it could not hold all the people that wanted to get on. We also noticed that, in the past, the drivers would really pack the people on and repeatedly tell everyone to move to the back of the bus. This time it only happened once. Many times, the people could have stepped back more, although people were hot and tired and wanted space. I also noticed that they tended to use the busses with less seats and more standing space in the middle during early morning and closing time. The problem with these busses were less people sitting and children who were standing couldn't hold on as the bar and straps were too high. It is also hard to stand on this bus if you are holding little ones.

They really need to rethink this bus situation.

I have to agree about the bus service at the Boardwalk area. Our experience during Memorial Day week was not that great. There seemed to be no schedule at all. We stayed at Boardwalk 5 nights and Dolphin 2 nights. While at the Boardwalk the bus to MK was a joke. We counted 4 AK and 3 Downtown Disney buses 1 day before the MK one showed up at least 40 min wait. All the routes were combined with Swan and Dolphin except for later in the week when we moved to the Dolphin the routes were Swan/Dolphin, and then YC/BC/BCV/BI/BWV on the other. Still wasn't that great. We always had some type of wait for the MK bus.

In September, we're heading to BCV. We were at BWV about 5 years ago, and didn't notice much problem with the bus to MK. But we would also occasionally walk through Epcot to catch the monorail.

Help me remember the distances/times. Is the Epcot monorail trick not worth the trouble?

I now remember another problem I see, not with the busses, but on the busses with the parents. I feel that when the busses are full and you have children that are still fairly small, put them on your lap. There was one family who had 3 kids, all under age 7, both parents & all three kids had their own seats while others were standing. When we go this year, DS will be 7 & DD 4, if the busses are full, they will be on our laps. That's just common sense - IMO.

Mrs. G I agree with you about the 'packing them in'. This morning we were heading to Animal Kingdon. We were at the bus stop by 8:15AM. Waited about 15 minutes and by the time the bus bot here the line was a mile long. The bus driver kept telling everyone to move back and move back further. We felt like sardines packed in there. The bus was shared between Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC and the BW. Coming home was not as bad but we left a bit early. We still had to stop at Blizzard, Swan, Dolphin and then YC followed by BC and finally Boardwalk. If I was the Boardwalk people I would get off at the Swan and walk. I agree YC/BC needs its own bus.

Ok help me out here. In late August I am going to be a the Boardwalk and I want to go to MK a couple of days. I have 3 kids (10, 8, and 5). I will also have a rental car. I plan on going early in the morning, coming home for lunch/pool and going back later in the day. Do I

take the bus (approx how long will it take me each way)

walk to S&D and then Bus(how long of a walk)

go to epcot take monorail (how long will this take)

drive to MK and park (can I walk right into the park or am I missing something here)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

uyrbaldwin,

I'd recommend taking the car, it give you the most flexibility.
When you drive to MK you have to go through the TTC, then either take the Monorail or the boat. I kinda like the boat ride it probably takes longer than the Monorail but your not packed in like you can be on the Monorail at peak times, plus it's a nice ride.
I also like the boat when leaving because you don't have to walk up those monorail ramps, at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is walk up a hill.

Walking through Epcot to the Monorail is alright in the morning when your fresh, but after a long day the walk back isn't much fun especially with tired kids.

We were at BCV July 8th & 9th and went to MK in the evenings. One night we ate at Flying Fish and caught the bus at BW (15 minutes wait + packed YC, BC & BW bus). The other night we left from BC and waited at least 25 minutes for a YC, BC & BW bus to arrive. Seemed a little long and a lot inconvienent.

Thanks Skelooch. How long does the boat take and how often does it run....

Thanks in advance....

Has anyone ever used a cab to get back and forth between MK and BCV? Where can you find a cab at MK and do they have the van-size (for 8 people) available? Thanks much for any info!

this one

and

this one

The last one was the first one sent but the first link (above) gives the relevant updates...

(edited to remove one of the links form this post to make it simpler)

Originally posted by minniesota
Has anyone ever used a cab to get back and forth between MK and BCV? Where can you find a cab at MK and do they have the van-size (for 8 people) available? Thanks much for any info!

There are cabs at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

We're leaving BW today for home, we've been here since last Saturday. I was just starting to write a nasty-gram to the VP in charge of transportation for WDW, and figured I'd check the DIS boards to see if anyone else is having issues, I see they are.

We've been DVC members for the last 5 years, been going to DW regularly for the last 8, and I was always happy with the WDW Bus system UNTIL this trip. Yesterday, I was downright furious.

A few issues, many of which that other posters covered already...

1. The bus still services Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk, in that order. Simply put, there are too many resorts being serviced by a single bus. I echo the statements of someone else, I take offense at the fact that Swan/Dolphin are on the same route, especially in light of the cash we've all invested in the DVC resorts.

2. Boardwalk guests stood on EVERY route this week that I was on except for one.

3. The combination of Typhoon Lagoon/DTD is a major mistake, especially in "peak" seasons (i.e., 94 degrees here yesterday, and Typhoon Lagoon was closed at 11am due to crowds). Last night, we went down to DTD and were coming back to Boardwalk, we were picked up at the Marketplace at 7:20, the bus was pretty full with people being picked up there. The driver, as part of his route, stopped at Typhoon Lagoon after DTD before returning to the resorts. There were no drop-offs (TL closed at 7), and no pick-ups. But, we wound up sitting inside of TL, in traffic, for almost 35 minutes. While it wasn't the driver's fault, everyone on the bus was not happy about this. After stopping at all the resorts (S,D,YC,BC, then BW), we finally made it back to Boardwalk at 8:15PM. 55 minutes to go from DTD to BW, and that didn't include the 10 minutes we waited at DTD.

We do rent a car for the week, but always take the bus to the parks/DTD, we use the rental for going to other resorts, Seaworld, etc. Next trip, we're probably going to start doing DTD via the rental car as well.

WDW Transportation has to split the route up. It's just too many people for the number of stops it's making.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter