Bay Lake Tower Review

ClockWork23

Earning My Ears
I recently stayed at Bay Lake Tower for a one week stay.

Let me just warn you that I am writing as a DVC member who believes in the Disney Magic and that being a DVC member should have something of a special meaning when you arrive and throughout your stay.

Let's start with the fact that check-in is done in the main building at the Contemporary...and that's where the problem begins.

The Contemporary has long been catered to conventions and businessmen, who have no interest in the Disney Magic, parks, etc. So when we checked in, instead of being greeted with our usual "Welcome Home" we were received as any other guest just passing through.

We were looked at as crazy when we asked to check in early. At the Beach Club we were always given our room as soon as we arrived, no matter what time it was, usually around 9 am.

Now let's move on to Bay Lake Tower...

The building itself was very uneventful. There's nothing to do other than a community hall that was very boring and plain. Not even a single decoration to let you know you're in a DVC area.

We had to go to the Contemporary for all our activities, (food, shops, transportation and arcade) even though we did have our own pool.

As far as the pool is concerned, the first thing you notice is that you need your room key to get in to the very undersized pool. It has a slide and a kids area plus a quick service food bar, but nothing to get too excited about.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The room itself was quite impressive...

Very spacious, and I especially enjoyed the fact that the room had two full bathrooms. Great for extra guests or visitors!

As far as the view, here is a tip that will save you points... I reserved a standard view room, but if you request a low even numbered room above the 3rd floor, you'll get a castle view. Anything that ends in ..02 to ..20

Odd numbered rooms have a view to the pool.

We stayed in room #7504, and we had a view of Space Mountain with the castle in the background, great to see the fireworks!!! We also had a view to Bay Lake.

The only thing the building had that was really nice was that on the 16th floor there is a "Sky Bar". The only problem is that no matter where in the building you're staying, you have to go all the way to the first floor to meet with someone behind a counter who has to give you access to the elevator which takes you to the top floor...bring your room key.

The bar itself is pretty nice, (waiter service, appetizers, one TV on ESPN) and only open 5pm till Midnight.

The whole point to the bar is so you can see the Wishes fireworks show from a high view. You can either watch them from the inside or an outside terrace, both complete with music from the show. Another tip... I heard you can also see Illuminations from the terrace.

Let me just say the view is amazing from up there, but I thought it was not too much better then from our room. In other words, I wouldn't get dressed up to go upstairs just for the view, but it was a pretty nice hangout spot.

All together, if you're looking for the DVC feel when staying on property, the Bay Lake Tower doesn't really offer it. The rooms are amazing, very nicely decorated, and not at all cluttered with furniture.

Close to the monorail yes, but, I don't know that it's enough to get me to come back...

Our next stay will be Kadani Village at AK

P.S. Please remember that this review was written from a very biased view from someone who loves the Disney Magic and the extra mile that other hotels go through to make you feel special as a DVC member.

Please reply and let me know if you found this review helpful

All together, if you're looking for the DVC feel when staying on property, the Bay Lake Tower doesn't really offer it. The rooms are amazing, very nicely decorated, and not at all cluttered with furniture.

I can understand why someone would feel this way, but for most I'm not sure there's a major difference.

1. The shared check-in for BLT and CR is now similar to what is offered at BCV and BC. The lack of "magic" should be attributed to the cast members and without input to management, I wouldn't expect this to change.

2. Community Hall - We were also very disappointed in BLT's Community Hall. It is very small, but the staff was extremely friendly.

3. Pool - Definitely not a pool for adults. I'm 6'3" and had to kneel to get my shoulders under water. Would have been nice to have an area of the pool with some water depth.

Those difference being said, we are willing to make the trade off on those three areas of our vacation for the convenience to MK and the dining options available on the monorail.

Thank you for sharing. I think the best thing about DVC is that there are resorts for everyone and when you find one that suits your needs, you go with it.

We are BLT fans (stayed twice) so I am always biased when talking about how wonderful!!!:rotfl2: but it is nice to hear others perspectives.

The only thing I don't really understand is why was going from BLT to CR for food, etc. viewed as a negative? While I have not stayed at all the DVC resorts, isn't that pretty much the way it is for all of them?

At VWL, we had to leave and head to the main lodge. At BWV, we had to go out to the Boardwalk. And, at Kidani, most of the food is at Jambo House.

Of course, we will be at BCV next summer for a few nights so I can't wait to see how that resort is. Just curious as I, myself, don't see how its much different.

The only thing I don't really understand is why was going from BLT to CR for food, etc. viewed as a negative? ]

I wasn't saying it as a negative, I was just stating it. The only reason it bothered me a bit is that you would expect such a big new building to have at least one food spot, but you are right that most of them don't...

Thanks for sharing your experience. As members we need to understand that DVD has to walk a fine line between designing a DVC resort that will have sales appeal and a resort that can be built for a reasonable cost.

Deeper pools, restaurants, and a DVC front desk increases the cost of construction and continued costs. DVD has determined that it is cheaper to outsource the front desk responsibilities and all resort support to Disney Resorts and as a result, we are just one of many customers.

:) Bill

I wasn't saying it as a negative, I was just stating it. The only reason it bothered me a bit is that you would expect such a big new building to have at least one food spot, but you are right that most of them don't...

Thanks! As I said, I have not stayed at many of the resorts yet, but have at BLT and just wanted to get the perspective from those that have.

I hope you have a great time during your next trip as well!

Let me just say the view is amazing from up there, but I thought it was not too much better then from our room. In other words, I wouldn't get dressed up to go upstairs just for the view, but it was a pretty nice hangout spot.

Is there a dress code for the TOTWL or are you referring to not dressing up to leave your room? I don't mean anything negative.....just wondering if our normal resort casual is appropriate for visiting on our upcoming stay.

Let me just warn you that I am writing as a DVC member who believes in the Disney Magic and that being a DVC member should have something of a special meaning when you arrive and throughout your stay.

Let's start with the fact that check-in is done in the main building at the Contemporary...and that's where the problem begins.

The Contemporary has long been catered to conventions and businessmen, who have no interest in the Disney Magic, parks, etc. So when we checked in, instead of being greeted with our usual "Welcome Home" we were received as any other guest just passing through.

We were looked at as crazy when we asked to check in early. At the Beach Club we were always given our room as soon as we arrived, no matter what time it was, usually around 9 am.

Now let's move on to Bay Lake Tower...

The building itself was very uneventful. There's nothing to do other than a community hall that was very boring and plain. Not even a single decoration to let you know you're in a DVC area.

We had to go to the Contemporary for all our activities, (food, shops, transportation and arcade) even though we did have our own pool.

As far as the pool is concerned, the first thing you notice is that you need your room key to get in to the very undersized pool. It has a slide and a kids area plus a quick service food bar, but nothing to get too excited about.

Very spacious, and I especially enjoyed the fact that the room had two full bathrooms. Great for extra guests or visitors!

As far as the view, here is a tip that will save you points... I reserved a standard view room, but if you request a low even numbered room above the 3rd floor, you'll get a castle view. Anything that ends in ..02 to ..20

Odd numbered rooms have a view to the pool.

We stayed in room #7504, and we had a view of Space Mountain with the castle in the background, great to see the fireworks!!! We also had a view to Bay Lake.

The only thing the building had that was really nice was that on the 16th floor there is a "Sky Bar". The only problem is that no matter where in the building you're staying, you have to go all the way to the first floor to meet with someone behind a counter who has to give you access to the elevator which takes you to the top floor...bring your room key.

The bar itself is pretty nice, (waiter service, appetizers, one TV on ESPN) and only open 5pm till Midnight.

The whole point to the bar is so you can see the Wishes fireworks show from a high view. You can either watch them from the inside or an outside terrace, both complete with music from the show. Another tip... I heard you can also see Illuminations from the terrace.

Close to the monorail yes, but, I don't know that it's enough to get me to come back...

Our next stay will be Kadani Village at AK

P.S. Please remember that this review was written from a very biased view from someone who loves the Disney Magic and the extra mile that other hotels go through to make you feel special as a DVC member.

Please reply and let me know if you found this review helpful

thanks for the review, good thing DVC offers lots of different resorts to suit us all I guess:confused:. My experience @ CR, when staying cash in the resort proper was most magical stay for us ever:confused3. We were very warmly welcomed & it was one of the few times our room was ready when we checked in before 11 am.:thumbsup2The manager came thru the checkin line & engaged everybody, thought it was a nice touch. Another CM was walking amongst the couch area talking to the kids, etc.:goodvibes

Other than SAB, our Beach Club visit was a disaster (combo of room difficulties & abysmal management response). Im sure the next trip there would be completely different. If you travel long enough, the odds are you'll hit a trip where things just do go badly in the most unexpected ways. Probably why any professional reviewer worth their salt returns to a site more than once.

Many other resorts w/in house amenties (restaurants, arcades, etc.) have a very long walk down the hallway to reach them too.

There are never any guarantees that you will get your room preference(s); I consider it extreme good fortune when we do...if not, better luck next time...we're in WDW:woohoo:.

Certainly, when staying @ BLT, if a MK view is important; a view category should be selected & paid to avoid disappointment. I requested this type of studio for my DS&DIL in Dec. & they were absolutely thrilled to receive it (i still have the phone call saved on my answering machine that I received after they watched Wishes for the 1st night on their balcony:goodvibes). still, once the word gets out it's going to be much harder to obtain. For those that don't get a magical upgrade, then the tower lounge is just the ticket.:)

We stayed at BLT the first week of January..........when it was really, really cold in FL.......daytime highs were anywhere from 48 to 53 and nighttime lows hit high 20's a few nights......so maybe those temps increased my feelings of "coldness" at BLT........but, that's exactly how I felt..........none of the warmth the other DVC resorts seem to have. I'm sure it had something to do with the decor, lots of hard surfaces, etc. Let me also say the rest of my family didn't feel this way......however, I personally could less if we stay there again.......it just wasn't my idea of a warm, relaxing resort. I also did not like the check-in process at the Contemporary............I felt as if I were checking into a convention or tradeshow facility........it actually didn't dawn on me that's what it felt like until the previous poster made the comment about conventions. I also needed to visit the Concierge desk one day and got the same feeling standing in that line.....actually there was no definitive line and while I was standing waiting for the next open CM another CM approached me and said "Could you please get in line"..........to which I replied "Uh.....line......where is it?" There was no indication or sign, ropes, etc. to indicate there was a formal line. We have checked in at the other DVC attached hotels (BWV, AKV, BCV and VWL) and the only other one that check-in didn't feel somewhat "right" was AKV...........the other three have always had a "Welcome Home" feel to them.

Certainly, when staying @ BLT, if a MK view is important; a view category should be selected & paid to avoid disappointment. I requested this type of studio for my DS&DIL in Dec. & they were absolutely thrilled to receive it (i still have the phone call saved on my answering machine that I received after they watched Wishes for the 1st night on their balcony:goodvibes). still, once the word gets out it's going to be much harder to obtain. For those that don't get a magical upgrade, then the tower lounge is just the ticket.:)

If only you could get a great view by requesting a MK View room. See My post. I request an MK view and was given third floor.

We stayed at BLT the first week of January..........when it was really, really cold in FL.......daytime highs were anywhere from 48 to 53 and nighttime lows hit high 20's a few nights......so maybe those temps increased my feelings of "coldness" at BLT........but, that's exactly how I felt..........none of the warmth the other DVC resorts seem to have.
We visited BLT on 1/22 ... while the weather was warmer the impression was still cold. While exploring, my husband tried out words like hospital, institution and later asylum. He solved his quest for description as he related overhearing another guest's description: penitentiary. I don't suppose he'll push me to book a stay anytime soon.

I'm sure glad the resorts are sufficiently varied to please different folks.

BLT owners: I loved the overlapping bamboo (?) disks on the lobby walls. To my eye, they added a sense of movement, natural fabric and warmth in proper contrast to the straight edges and cooler materials used elsewhere. Nice!

Thanks for the update, most of your post sounds incredible.:thumbsup2

Warn schwarn...I dont get the "nothing special throughout your stay" at all from this. Its kind of like you intend to explain how bad it was-but get sucked into just how great it was.

So when we checked in, instead of being greeted with our usual "Welcome Home" we were received as any other guest just passing through.

We were looked at as crazy when we asked to check in early.

Can happen at any check in IMO. Depends who is working.

Same as VWL and BCV-only a way better pool (and you can get food and drinks at the pool and up on the lounge :confused3). Just think how far it can be from your room to SSR or OKW main buildings-CR has way more options than those.

As far as the pool is concerned, the first thing you notice is that you need your room key to get in to the very undersized pool..

If the pool is somewhat small, a key is a great idea. Have you ever been to the POLY for ex, its packed with monorail crashers. This would have happened here as well-only they could have walked as well.

It has a slide and a kids area plus a quick service food bar, but nothing to get too excited about..

Sounds like a huge improvement over VWL and BCV quiet pools. :thumbsup2

Very spacious, and I especially enjoyed the fact that the room had two full bathrooms. Great for extra guests or visitors!..

Sounds wonderfull, we have one set for XMAS week coming up.

As far as the view, here is a tip that will save you points... I reserved a standard view room, but if you request a low even numbered room above the 3rd floor, you'll get a castle view. Anything that ends in ..02 to ..20!..

Great info, esp for std view.

We stayed in room #7504, and we had a view of Space Mountain with the castle in the background, great to see the fireworks!!! We also had a view to Bay Lake..

Those views on std points? Nice. I would say that is the "decoration" to show you are in a Disney VC area. :wizard:

I like the idea of keeping crowds down up there, just not to the point it closes. Also sounds like a nice spot to go up late at night for a snack. Will have to check out Ill some time up there-thanks.

That says a lot about you room.

If only you could get a great view by requesting a MK View room. See My post. I request an MK view and was given third floor.

i did read ur post & think u were 'robbed':sad2: I'd have been really miffed. When i called to make the request for my kids, i was told MK rooms were floor 5 & higher, below (even if facing MK were standard):confused3 (their trip was 2nd week of Dec. & I paid for stand view).

with BLT you will be member for 50 more years.

so some times you won't get a great view. now if you go 3 years w/o a great view then complain.

that say sounds like you had a great view. Some people don't like BLT - I do.

now don't appreciate BW (despite owning there) - it is a personal taste type of thing.

the 2 times (s0 far) that I checked in at BLT - told the front desk that was staying in the villa and showed them my reservation confirmation - which generally gets them to say 'welcome home' and they definitely try harder to get me a nice room (studio).

sometimes if you expect the worst - that is what you get.

for the meals - definitely love the sky bridge instead of nothing - BW - or just over your head - BCV and VWL. or okw and ssr where it is generally a long walk.

akv has a restuarant at Kidani - but the reviews have not been great. seems like Jambo House has the preferred restuarants. so again a long walk.

We were in BLT the week of Jan 16. We too did not like the long walk to get anywhere within the facility. But as with any resort there are long walks to get anywhere. BLT and AKL to me are the worst. We enjoyed our stay at BLT but honestly I am not sure we will do it again just for the fact we like the feel of OKW as well as being right at the bus stop. With that being said even from the models one could tell it was going to be very modern and sleek. Yes that does tend to make it feel to institutional but many people enjoy that style. But thank goodness there are many different styles so a broad range of people can be happy.We were greated very warmly by the CM and the manager was speaking to everyone asking if we needed anything. We can not say enough about the kindness of the CMs.

i did read ur post & think u were 'robbed':sad2: I'd have been really miffed. When i called to make the request for my kids, i was told MK rooms were floor 5 & higher, below (even if facing MK were standard):confused3 (their trip was 2nd week of Dec. & I paid for stand view).

But the OP said,

She said she was happy that they got an MK view with a Standard Room. So maybe your kids get their Std view maybe they'll be lucky and get a view of MK as well.

Thanks for the post, we are heading to BLT in May and can't wait to see if we like it. We will be staying in a studio and not our normal 1 bedroom so I think we are in for an experience no matter what. Staying with DVC is better than staying at home. :cool1:

But the OP said,

She said she was happy that they got an MK view with a Standard Room. So maybe your kids get their Std view maybe they'll be lucky and get a view of MK as well.

I wasn't speaking to OP in 2nd response:confused:. If you read my post u'll see i quoted SSAWKA & was speaking to info posted on different thread where he paid for MK view, but didn't receive one (or much of one IMO, room sounded to be a standard view)

btw, my kids did get a MK view on the 4th floor via me booking a standard view (Dec '09) & were thrilled beyond belief.:).

We stayed at BLT Jan 23-30. In our view, as a DVC "resort", this one falls way short. Convenience of MK does not out-weight the shortfalls. We felt like we were staying in a hotel, not a resort. It also has a feel that you're "borrowing" from the Contemporary resort because you had to go there for everything... restaurants, shops, buses, monorail. The rooms are o.k., but... there's no lock on the bathroom doors... and there's about an inch gap on both sides of the door... we were like WHAT??? Careful of the pull-out bed... the steel corners can be dangerous... my wife and I both sustained cuts on our legs from them. Not trying knock on BLT... to each his own and all that stuff... but for the points that they're commanding, this one just seems so un-DVC and un-Disneylike. We're glad we stayed once... just so we know what we're not missing.
Oh, we were in room 7706 on the north side (bay lake view). We had a view of bay lake and a perfect view of MK. We did watch the fireworks from our balcony one night and once from TOTWL. I'm sure it gets crowded in the busy season, but there might have been 10 people there at 7pm... and maybe 20 during the fireworks. It cleared out immediately afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter