Bay Lake Tower - Disney's Contemporary Resort 12/12

LilyKate

Earning My Ears
I recently completed my first time staying at the DVC Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort and I have a to say I was a little underwhelmed. I'm hopping this isn't the norm for them so I thought I'd post and maybe hear other peoples experiences there.

My partner and I booked the stay months ago using our points for a studio room for our 2 year wedding anniversary and I had been nothing but excited for it. We made reservations to check in on our anniversary - December 12th - and to have dinner that night at the California Grill to kick off our weekend. Check in went fine - the cast members were pleasant and efficient at the front desk. We made our way up to our room which was on the second floor, no big deal we didn't particularly care as we weren't going to be hanging out in the room 24/7. When we got to our room it smelled a little musty so I opened the sliding glass doors. Afterwards we started looking around the room and it just looked... yucky. It was super dusty, the furniture had stains on it, the TV had finger prints all over it.... it was really a deflater after all the excitement pre-trip. We didn't really have time to look around too closely because we had to make our way to dinner - which was amazing, no complaints there!

When we got back in to the room we were both really tired and ready to get in to bed, we had both worked that morning (we are locals) and full from dinner and decided to turn in. While getting ready for bed I really started to look around our studio room and am so glad I did! I found the kitchen counters dirty, the bathroom was clean - you could smell the bleach and the towels smelled clean. The carpet everywhere else was a little dirty and when I opened the closet I found a bunch of beads in the floor. When I sat down on the side of the bed closest to the wall I noticed it looked like someone had spilled something and neglected to clean it up - big splatter and streaks running to the floor. THAT was the final straw for myself but it really hit a boiling point when my partner found peanuts in the floor and in the bed. DONE! I announced we were going home. We grabbed our essentials, locked up our suitcase leaving it on the luggage rack and made our way to the front desk. We encountered a young female cast member and what I'm guessing was the guest services manager down there talking. I politely told them that we were going home, our room was very dirty and it was our wedding anniversary and we just wanted to have a pleasant evening together and were very tired. We had breakfast reservations for Chef Mickey's the next morning so we would be returning but didn't want to wait for someone to clean our room that night - we just wanted to go home and salvage our evening and be comfortable. The cast members were mortified of the details I told them and very apologetic. They refunded our vacation points for that night, offered to move us to closer in on property (HOW?! We were at the Contemporary for goodness sake - I was too tired to probe this option and really wanted to try and salvage our stay there. It was the last on my bucket list!) Offered to refund our dinner costs, and said they would do a VIP cleaning on the room. We thanked them and politely declined the dinner refund - it wasn't the restaurants fault and we hate someone else losing money over another mistake. We thanked them for the points refund and said we will be back in the morning.

The next day we came back and went straight to our room. It was clean! Apparently a VIP clean means that they do little touches like tie the dish towel in a minnie bow, and replace all the furniture with a stain with brand new. No really, we spent 5 minutes staring at the couch trying to decide if it was a new couch (it was! the couch was orange the day before and khaki the next) Unfortunately the TV was till dirty and they did not dust and missed dirt around the bed. We decided to go to Magic Kingdom and enjoy our lunch reservations at BOG and try to walk off the mild disappointment. Nothing like some Mickey Mouse time to fix this! Unfortunately we came back to the room and still were unhappy so we checked out early. The cast members were again really apologetic and offered to try and do something but I was already turned off the whole thing and just wanted to finish my anniversary weekend back at home. If I'm going to be in a dusty place it might as well be my living room! :)

Other DVC'rs - have you used your points to stay at Bay Lake recently and what type of experience did you have? Word of mouth among my Disney obsessed family and friends who've stayed there is that they really weren't too impressed either, but I feel like this experience has to be out of the norm - right or wrong?

-Windless Sails LillyKate:confused3

It's our home for one reason...we love it. Haven't had a problem there, but I totally get how an experience like that (which could happen at any Disney resort) would be a big turn off. At least you can say you tried it and can cross it off your list. Lots of other resorts on property to enjoy right?

Poor room conditions and cleaning issues happen at all DVC resorts. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes your not.

We mistakenly assumed that DVC was deluxe and I still have difficulty to this day on why they can't do a better job.

One thing that IMO causes problems is that the housekeepers get to leave early with pay if they finish their section. I think that they should be rewarded for doing an exceptional job, not for rushing through their work load.

:earsboy: Bill

i'm shocked & saddened by your experience. i've only used my DVC points to stay at Aulani & have always found the rooms exceptionally maintained. thank you for sharing your experience & hope you have a better anniversary next year.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience. We haven't had a problem there - and always enjoy the cute towel creations etc. I didn't realise they are not standard.
Hopefully you will have a better stay next time.

That is awful. Did they compensate you in any way? Did you send an e-mail when you got home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter