• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bathroom use question

Monica

Mouseketeer
I have Crohn's disease which causes ulcerations throughout my digestive tract. As you can imagine- when I need a bathroom, I need a bathroom immediately. I have always gone to WDW in the off-season so I've never experienced lines for restrooms but I will be going in August this year. Has anyone gone at this time? How are bathroom lines? (I can't beleive I'm asking this-lol) When this happens to me (like at the mall) I usually just cut through the line and use the handicapped bathroom. This usually causes quiet a few nasty comments, but what can I do? Hopefully I won't need this info but if anyone has any insight, I would appreciated it greatly!

My mom has one kidney and needs to use bathrooms frequently. A few times when they had long lines at various places she just asked if she could go next due to a medical reason. Everytime she has neeeded to do this people have been very nice.

People can be kinder if they know you have a reason rather than just don't want to wait your turn.

We always go to WDW in the summer and typically don't have many lines at the bathroom but occasionally like near meal times we have experienced lines.

If you did this without explaination and cut in front a person in a wheelchair or another handicapped person, of course there are nasty comments. You are considered rude. If there are no people in a wheelchair that needed that stall then you are the handicapped person and have just as much right as a person in a wheelchair. You are just lucky that it is available because I often find that the handicapped stall occupied and all her charges or someone who is changing clothes.

Pooh

Just to clarify, in the past when I have cut the line, I always explain to the people in line and wait for the handicapped bathroom (which is always in use). Even so I have had some really nasty comments. I guess I just will not worry about this and handle it as needed. Thanks for the information!

You will find some people who are really nice and others who don't care what your medical need is - they won't let you ahead. I think if you explain you need to get in right away or you will be sick in front of them, most people will willingly let you go ahead. (Whatever takes the least time to say).µ

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Don't worry about the nasty comments then. It's their problem not yours. Sometimes we just have to develop a thick skin when we have chronic illness and disabilities.

Pooh

Monica,
As we advise people with hidden mobility problems to take care of themselves by using whatever devices they need to ensure a safe, happy trip I urge you to do the same. Saying I have a digestive problem and need to use the restroom quickly should do it. I do have problem at work with people who use the H/P stall to brush their teeth, change into gym clothes, once I had to wait while someone washed their hair!
So don't worry about other people who don't know you and will probably never see again.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter