• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bastille Day July 14th, 1789 (233 years ago).

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Bastille Day July 14th, 1789 (233 years ago). First, to all who celebrate the holiday, I hope you have a safe and pleasant holiday week/weekend. France is one of America’s first allies and I’m thankful for the partnership. However, when it comes to this holiday, I always have mixed feelings on it. I don’t know if others on the Disboards feel similar. I don’t see it as the beginning of France’s republic. I see it as a day that celebrates murder of innocents by an angry mob. I don’t see the point of celebrating it when it only led to a reign of terror that caused mass killing and 3 wars (Quasi War/Napoleonic Wars/War of 1812). I know I’m looking at this as an American but I guess in the era we are in, every holiday seems to be examined in a modern sense. I mean France is on its 5th republic currently. I guess I just find it odd that they celebrate a day that did not cause the change they were looking for, nor have a lasting impact (hence the 5th republic in 200+ years). I pray that all who died innocently during that time period found peace. I have French ancestry, so I find the relevance for celebrating this holiday interesting. Anyway, Viva La France.

:-):confused3🤔🇺🇸🤝🇫🇷

I suppose it is difficult to celebrate the creation or liberation of any country without thinking of the people who lost their lives in the process, even July 4th here in the US. I had many ancestors who fought for independence in the Revolutionary War, but I still enjoy a good BBQ and fireworks show.

The first thing that comes to mind for me though, is that part of Impressions de France at Epcot, with the sound of the horses hooves on the pavement and the red, white, and blue balloons released by Notre Dame, and the lush music playing. I can see and hear it as clearly as if I were in the theater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter