Barbie Doll Sale?? How much to charge?

Nicholfamily5

Mouseketeer
I'd appreciate some feedback, I cleaned out my 4 year old's room...shudder....
and she doesn't want her Barbie stuff anymore. (I'm going to keep 3-4 for her anyway)
So I'm going to sell them at our yard sale, but was wondering what to sell at.
I was thinking $1 per doll (fully dressed):thumbsup2
$1 per sandwich baggie STUFFED with clothes
$5 for Barbie Vet house (very large, but missing accesories)
$2 for Barbie Car ( looks like a wagon or something! lol)
$3 each for 2 Barbie Rolling suitcases, each holds 8 dolls and accesories
$.25 for random pieces that don't really belong to anything (but still Barbie), like a drawer chest and stuff.

Am I asking too much? too little? The money is for our trip so I don't want to GIVE it away, but don't want to charge too much that it won't go either.:confused3
Any suggestions?

TIA!

Those prices sound great! Wish you were in my nieghborhood-I would definitely buy some. Have a great sale!

Truthfully I don't know if I would sell them. She's only 4 years old and she might change her mind then you'll feel guilty and buy her new stuff.

If you do end up selling them I think you are charging too little for the dolls and clothes. If the dolls are nice and their hair is good, $2-3 isn't unreasonable. On the clothes, a sandwich baggie probably holds $50 of Barbie clothes, I'd mark those up or split into more bags.

Wow! I had no idea I should charge so much.

Backstory... she actually recieved a rubbermaid (22 gallon!!) tote FULL of this stuff from my boss at work. He had kept it all from his daughters so she literally has two of everything. She has 24 full size dolls, 4 of which I was going to keep, as well as a bunch of clothes. She has two of the cars, two suitcase things, the house (which she doesn't want/have room for)
I just don't think she needs 24 dolls! KWIM? That's not including the little ones, which she does play with frequently.
These dolls are upwards of ten years old, so they aren't in pristine condition. They aren't crap, but some have had haircuts (lol) and there are some marks on some. Still, they are in really good condition for the most part.
Maybe I'll split them up according to condition and sell them that way. Thanks for the tip!
The clothes, eh. She has so darn MANY!!! I kinda just want them gone. Maybe I'll split the bags up more. Thanks for the tips!!!
If I have stuff left over, I'll probably head to ebay. My dh wants to just donate them, but barbie stuff is sure to score even a little dough, so I want as much as I can for the trip!

I REALLY appreciate the tips!

I think it all depends on where you live. When I lived in California I saw most Barbie Dolls going for 2.00-5.00 a piece depending on what they were. Now that I am in Montana I can barely get .50 each.

Wow! I had no idea I should charge so much.

Backstory... she actually recieved a rubbermaid (22 gallon!!) tote FULL of this stuff from my boss at work. He had kept it all from his daughters so she literally has two of everything. She has 24 full size dolls, 4 of which I was going to keep, as well as a bunch of clothes. She has two of the cars, two suitcase things, the house (which she doesn't want/have room for)
I just don't think she needs 24 dolls! KWIM? That's not including the little ones, which she does play with frequently.
These dolls are upwards of ten years old, so they aren't in pristine condition. They aren't crap, but some have had haircuts (lol) and there are some marks on some. Still, they are in really good condition for the most part.
Maybe I'll split them up according to condition and sell them that way. Thanks for the tip!
The clothes, eh. She has so darn MANY!!! I kinda just want them gone. Maybe I'll split the bags up more. Thanks for the tips!!!
If I have stuff left over, I'll probably head to ebay. My dh wants to just donate them, but barbie stuff is sure to score even a little dough, so I want as much as I can for the trip!

I REALLY appreciate the tips!
I just read your post. If you were going to ebay the leftover why not just ebay what you have. You could group them into lots and probably make more for the trip. As for the rolling cases you might want to sell them at your yardsale since shipping them would be high.

Well, I have a friend of DH's coming by to have a look, he has two daughters that are Barbie fiends, so I'll let him pick what he wants at the set prices, and then see what's leftover. Maybe I will ebay the remaining lot! Thanks for THAT idea!
lol....I REALLY shouldn't have had that second glass of wine tonight. My brain is just NOT working right!

I guess I just think different, and I know that things are different in various parts of the country.

When people can pick up a "barbie" at a Dollar store, Family dollar, BigLots, Walmart, etc for under $5.00 selling them for $2-3.00 just doesn't happen around here.

Unless the money is really, really needed.....
If most/some of the items were given to your DD, I think it would be a great idea to "give" them to the Barbie "fiends", kinda like a pay it forward.

It always surprises me how much more things costs in CA. Here in NC you'd be lucky if they even sold at all, or closer to 50cents. The house would be a big hit anywhere.

Then there is the notion that some are collectables.

My DDs were the recipients(sp?) of a large amount of Barbies and clothes from a friend of DHs. Having that many Barbies was just too much. I washed up more than half and donated them. There is a huge thrift store here that supports many shelters, etc.

Please, keep us posted on what you do, and how much you make. It will be interesting for others with dolls.:)

I had priced them about the same. I put them out at $.75-$1 (depending on how "fancy" the doll is) each. I bagged sets of dolls (all the beach girls in one bag, for example) at $1.25 per doll so that the set of 4 was $5. Cars/motorcycles were $2, sets like the Pet Store were $5.

They flew off the table! It makes me think I could have done it with a bit higher prices, but our main goal was to get rid of stuff fast. Making money was secondary at that time.

I wasn't really thinking about Ebay before, but there are people out there that totally redo dolls, repaint faces, reroot hair. I'd do a search for OOAK dolls in the Barbie section and see how much people are getting for lots.

Good Luck! - Kim

I'd appreciate some feedback, I cleaned out my 4 year old's room...shudder....
and she doesn't want her Barbie stuff anymore. (I'm going to keep 3-4 for her anyway)
So I'm going to sell them at our yard sale, but was wondering what to sell at.
I was thinking $1 per doll (fully dressed):thumbsup2
$1 per sandwich baggie STUFFED with clothes
$5 for Barbie Vet house (very large, but missing accesories)
$2 for Barbie Car ( looks like a wagon or something! lol)
$3 each for 2 Barbie Rolling suitcases, each holds 8 dolls and accesories
$.25 for random pieces that don't really belong to anything (but still Barbie), like a drawer chest and stuff.

Am I asking too much? too little? The money is for our trip so I don't want to GIVE it away, but don't want to charge too much that it won't go either.:confused3
Any suggestions?

TIA!

I would seriously reconsider selling the barbie stuff. I remember when my dd8 said she didn't like it anymore. Well I have bought a whole lot since then. For what you are asking for it, I would suggest you keep it in the closet for a few more years. Just my .02 based on my own experience with this.

If you do decide to sell, I think your prices are pretty low but you'll sell fast. Try craigslist.org or another free online seller site.

Just to give you an idea about yard sales vs. ebay..since I have done both. I sold a lot of 30 barbies. They were naked but I did have 50 outfits (about 100 pieces). I did not count shoes or purses and threw them in as a bonus...that way if items were missing they were not bidding on them in the first place. It sold for 38.00 plus shipping. This was about 6 months ago. I just had a yard sale 2 weeks ago and I sold Barbies .50 ea or 3 for 1.00. They all sold. I also had an old large suitcase filled with clothes. It barely sold for 5.00.

Hi,
Is the sale still on.. The prices sounds great.. I would like to buy them all.. Please tell your location and if it is feasible then I would not let the opportunity miss. :)

I had over 20 bags of Barbie dolls and accessories at my garage sale and all were gone the first day. I put Barbies and her accessories that came with that Barbie in a gallon baggie. I put 4 or 5 outfits, shoes, purse, etc in a bag and marked them all $2 and $3, they were in great condition and flew out the door. I sold the car for $5 and the camper on Ebay. The house I sold for $20 (it wasn't the giant one). All my baggy toys sold out...I had baggies full of like Happy Meal Toys and little junkie toys, the kids loved them. New Happy Meal toys in the bag I sold for .50 and one guy bought the whole box.

Hi,
Is the sale still on.. The prices sounds great.. I would like to buy them all.. Please tell your location and if it is feasible then I would not let the opportunity miss. :)

This post is almost 4 years old:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter