Bank & borrow system with 3 small contracts

murphy625

Earning My Ears
Does anyone follow an organized plan of banking and borrowing with smaller contracts to rotate and stay at each resort once every three years. I'm on an (add-on) mission to get 11 month booking priority at a few resorts and just added on 60 at AKL. We have 3 trips booked for next year and would like to do one more add on. So the AKL trip will be 117 points. I might add another day (borrow) but then April 2021 I'd get 24 points. I'm trying to think through banking those.

So I bank 24 into 2022 to be used by March 2023? But since we go each April or May, I would have to use these for my May 2022 trip? So maybe it needs to be 4 contracts :) to bank a full year of points to catch up.

I need a system (or a spreadsheet) to see it laid out!

I've been thinking of doing something like this, rotating 3 contracts/3 resorts. The only problem is trying to use 100% of points, and you wouldn't be able to miss a year or you'd have wasted points. I think this might be more efficient with 2 resorts, or doing multiple trips a year

going once every 3 years will probably increase your chances of breaking points (letting them go unused)

Not sure I understand why you think you might need 4 small contracts. You need something at each resort you want the 11 month priority at, are you trying to get that at 4 different resorts?

If the contracts are at the same resort, same UY, and titled the same, how many contracts is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is how many points you have at that resort.

Thanks for the input. I think I answered my own question. Just penciled out the details (w/lots of arrows). I was off (works best if I actually borrow all the next year points) and I think what I want to do works with 3 small 60-75 point contracts. Those leftover points were throwing me because I didn't have enough points to go back to AKL in 2022 and based on my "schedule" I wouldn't go back to AKL until 2023. But I can transfer those remaining 24 points into another account if I had to (in the example below I would transfer into my BRV account). Just looking for ease of booking with one contract at a time, managing points, home priority at 11 months. So our trips may go as follows...

2020-akv-180 points (three years/60pt)
2021-BRV-600 points (three years/200pt--big family trip or multiple trips)
2022-TBD-225 points (three years/75pt)
2023-akv-180 points
etc..

The contracts (2 right now) are not the same resort or UY, and titled differently. I'd be ok with home resort priority at 3 resorts. So one more add-on!

IMO, an every 3-year plan is a gamble. I understand the appeal of multiple home resorts. But setting yourself up to bank & borrow every year runs a huge risk of losing a large quantity of points if you should cancel a trip. Banked points cannot be banked a second time and borrowed points cannot be returned to their original UY.

Transferred points retain their home resort. So in your example, those 24 orphaned AKV points that get transferred to your BRV membership cannot be used at 11 months to book at BRV. They are still AKV points.

IMO, an every 3-year plan is a gamble. I understand the appeal of multiple home resorts. But setting yourself up to bank & borrow every year runs a huge risk of losing a large quantity of points if you should cancel a trip. Banked points cannot be banked a second time and borrowed points cannot be returned to their original UY.

Transferred points retain their home resort. So in your example, those 24 orphaned AKV points that get transferred to your BRV membership cannot be used at 11 months to book at BRV. They are still AKV points.
Thanks, I've never borrowed more than a couple of points, so for more than a couple of points It is risky. Although I don't anticipate not finding someone to use them if I had to cancel (and couldn't find a suitable time to reschedule myself w/in that year). The bigger problem may be actually finding a room at that point.

I'll probably stick with my plan B and book my split stay at 11 months then hoping to get something at 7 months.

Separate ? but say I don't transfer the banked 24 points into BRV. Then at 7 months I try to book a room/night to add onto my BRV reservation that I booked at 11 months and the room is more than 24 points. How do I do that if the AKV contract doesn't have enough to book a single night (but I want to use up the 24 banked points before borrowing BRV points). Is that something I can call to work out at 7 months?

Thanks, I've never borrowed more than a couple of points, so for more than a couple of points It is risky. Although I don't anticipate not finding someone to use them if I had to cancel (and couldn't find a suitable time to reschedule myself w/in that year). The bigger problem may be actually finding a room at that point.

I'll probably stick with my plan B and book my split stay at 11 months then hoping to get something at 7 months.

Separate ? but say I don't transfer the banked 24 points into BRV. Then at 7 months I try to book a room/night to add onto my BRV reservation that I booked at 11 months and the room is more than 24 points. How do I do that if the AKV contract doesn't have enough to book a single night (but I want to use up the 24 banked points before borrowing BRV points). Is that something I can call to work out at 7 months?
They are separate memberships. You cannot make a reservation using some BRV points and some AKV points at 7 months unless you transfer points from one membership to the other.

If they were the same UY and titled the same, then they would be under one membership and the process of booking at 7 months would be seamless.

They are separate memberships. You cannot make a reservation using some BRV points and some AKV points at 7 months unless you transfer points from one membership to the other.

If they were the same UY and titled the same, then they would be under one membership and the process of booking at 7 months would be seamless.
OK thanks. That is why I thought I would transfer them and book the extra night at 7 months, if possible. I'll keep that in mind since there wouldn't be enough to book a full night with the AKL banked points, even at AKL. I don't want to buy one time use points when I have BRV points available but just trying to see how you use up small BANKED points first when dealing across multiple contracts. Thanks for your help, it's a lot to think about. (So far, since 2001, I haven't lost any points-except for a last minute/one night ressie that I made for a friend who was in Florida and she never showed up-uuuugh!!)

I've been thinking of doing something like this, rotating 3 contracts/3 resorts. The only problem is trying to use 100% of points, and you wouldn't be able to miss a year or you'd have wasted points. I think this might be more efficient with 2 resorts, or doing multiple trips a year
I have 60, 40 at BWV and 50 at BC. It's not a huge problem for me, but it does present a challenge. I have to make sure I'm using whatever banked points I have at each resort. It wasn't a problem until recently. I always used my BC points at 7 months at other resorts. (I know, crazy in some peoples opinion, but the BC points were a steal at $82 in 2008, I couldn't not buy them). Both are hard to book at 7 months during busier dvc times, and now everything is hard to book at busy times, so it's usually a split stay. I don't mind that, it's not a bad thing being closer to Epcot during F&W.
ETA: all are the same use year

This is what we have, 50 at BLT, 63 at VWL (Boulder Ridge), 50 at Poly and 50 at OKW. I never use the OKW points at OKW, usually use those as filler points or 7 month booking. I rotate through the BLT/VWL and Poly. Since we have been doing Marathon Weekend in January for about 6-7 years I rotate through them to get 11 month booking priority. Its always worked pretty well, and whatever points I don't use are the borrowed years points so I have two more years to use them, and I just use them at 7 months, and they are usually long gone before then, I am pretty much in perpetual borrow mode right now. I've been a member since 2007 and never lost a point. The only draw back is if you want something larger than a 1 bedroom, then you have to use other resort points at 7 months.

Jennifer

OK thanks. That is why I thought I would transfer them and book the extra night at 7 months, if possible. I'll keep that in mind since there wouldn't be enough to book a full night with the AKL banked points, even at AKL. I don't want to buy one time use points when I have BRV points available but just trying to see how you use up small BANKED points first when dealing across multiple contracts. Thanks for your help, it's a lot to think about. (So far, since 2001, I haven't lost any points-except for a last minute/one night ressie that I made for a friend who was in Florida and she never showed up-uuuugh!!)
Keep in mind that transferring is not always a fix.

• Points that are banked or borrowed CANNOT be transferred. (Once current use year points are transferred, they can be banked, but NOT borrowed.
  • Transferred points do NOT show up in your online account. You must call MS to use them. (If you are booking something that is hard to get at 7 months, that hour's delay could easily mean that someone else gets the reservation you wanted).
  • MS is reportedly allowing multiple transfers between accounts that are owned by the same member, but that is courtesy than may NOT continue in the future.

If you proceed with your plan to buy 3 different home resorts, get the same use year for all three resorts and make sure to title them exactly the same so that they end up in the same membership. (Different use years automatically men different memberships). If you end up with multiple memberships, there is a very good chance you will end up losing a few points every year unless you plan extra carefully and are OK with split stays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter