• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bahamas bans US travellers effective July 22nd-reversing July 1 reopening

DIS Lifer

Earning My Ears
Bahamas bans US travel

"International commercial flights and commercial vessels will NOT be permitted except Canada, UK and EU effective Wednesday July 22nd at midnight "
" International and domestic borders will be closed to all incoming and outgoing air and sea vessels effective midnight July 22"

Just waiting on Disney to cancel my cruise in October so i can reallocate funds. Thinking a 2021 Disneyland trip.

The article mentions flights but not cruises but I figure cruises are already banned via the CDC making it a moot point but interesting nonetheless. That said I'd be curious to know how many people globally visit the Bahamas in the middle of summer as I'd think it would be more of a winter destination making the announcement more of a 'shot across the bow' at the US. My gut reaction to this was feeling bad for the local Bahamians as tourism is their lifeblood so hopefully the Tourism board will offer some nice incentives for other countries to come to the island.

The article mentions flights but not cruises but I figure cruises are already banned via the CDC making it a moot point but interesting nonetheless. That said I'd be curious to know how many people globally visit the Bahamas in the middle of summer as I'd think it would be more of a winter destination making the announcement more of a 'shot across the bow' at the US. My gut reaction to this was feeling bad for the local Bahamians as tourism is their lifeblood so hopefully the Tourism board will offer some nice incentives for other countries to come to the island.

Another article specifically mentions arrivals by sea, including rules for cargo and yachts.

Sadly, I think these travel bans will continue until there is either new leadership in the US or a vaccine (if a successful vaccine is ever developed, which isn't guaranteed). Too many Americans have shown they lack the will to implement the one measure (masks) that has successfully halted the spread of the virus in other countries, and other countries are rightfully treating American citizens as pariahs now. I have spent a lot (a lot a lot) of time in the Bahamas, including when tourism plummeted after the recession in '08, and saw the devastating effects that had on Bahamians dependent on tourist dollars. The selfish shortsightedness of a minority of the American population will have far-reaching consequences that will impact people who did nothing wrong.

Come on guys! Please keep these threads on topic, pertaining to DCL! This is not the place for blaming, questioning policies etc... We are here to discuss DCL. Sadly, DCL isn't all magic and pixie dust right now but we can discuss news that pertains to it, without debating opinions, ultimately resulting in arguments. :thanks:

Form reading the article I am not clear. Are they banning U.S. Travelers or just U.S. Flights? From what I read it said nothing about citizenship, just mentioned where the mode of travel was originating from.

Form reading the article I am not clear. Are they banning U.S. Travelers or just U.S. Flights? From what I read it said nothing about citizenship, just mentioned where the mode of travel was originating from.
They are closing seaports.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article244340147.html
Less than three weeks after reopening its borders to international visitors, the Bahamas on Sunday announced that it is closing all of its airports and seaports to tourists from the United States, effective Wednesday.

bold mine. The MH article also details local curfews being put into effect.

The MH article also details local curfews being put into effect.

I have an Atlantis trip starting 10/05. It was supposed to be after our Dream cruise. From what I can read as long as you still do the negative test you can go as long as you do not arrive via a U.S. flight. I'm trying to get clarification if they banned U.S. Citizens or just U.S. flights/U.S. ships. From what I can tell it's just U.S. flights and ships.

I have an Atlantis trip starting 10/05. It was supposed to be after our Dream cruise. From what I can read as long as you still do the negative test you can go as long as you do not arrive via a U.S. flight. I'm trying to get clarification if they banned U.S. Citizens or just U.S. flights/U.S. ships. From what I can tell it's just U.S. flights and ships.

All the articles I'm reading say US Citizens AND all US originating flights/ships... they note citizens from the EU, UK and Canada will be allowed if they have a negative test done within 10 days of arrival first.

I wouldn't trust anything written by the Miami Herald! Their main reporter on cruises has had it in for Disney cruises from the beginning quoting that lawyer based website about alleged cases of Covid-19 and also the number of crew still on board the ships which was patently wrong, she constantly focuses on how she can make DCL look bad and seem like they're the main vectors of the virus on ALL cruise ships. Nope, give me a reputable news source.

We will see how long the U.S. ban lasts since that's where most of their tourism dollars come from.
If I were them, I’d offer free porting on days where openings have occurred now from unwelcome ships. Imagine a cruise with a New port every day.

I wouldn't trust anything written by the Miami Herald! Their main reporter on cruises has had it in for Disney cruises from the beginning quoting that lawyer based website about alleged cases of Covid-19 and also the number of crew still on board the ships which was patently wrong, she constantly focuses on how she can make DCL look bad and seem like they're the main vectors of the virus on ALL cruise ships. Nope, give me a reputable news source.

From the Government of the Bahamas official website:

https://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/port...n2vRb9--A-LxFPc!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation statement on border closure to the United States due to COVID-19

Authored by: Ministry of Tourism & Aviation
Source: Ministry of Tourism & Aviation
Date: July 20, 2020

NASSAU, Bahamas, July 19, 2020 – Due to the continued increase in COVID-19 cases in the United States, as well as an uptick in cases in The Bahamas, Prime Minister, The Most Hon. Dr. Hubert Minnis, has made the difficult decision to close borders to international commercial flights and commercial vessels carrying passengers from the United States. The order is effective as of Wednesday, July 22 at midnight. In addition, Bahamasair will cease outgoing flights to the United States, effective immediately.

Outgoing flights will be permitted to accommodate any current visitors scheduled to return to the United States after Wednesday, July 22.

After July 22, private flights and charters from the United States, as well as pleasure craft and yachts will be permitted throughout the Island Of The Bahamas – with the exception of Freeport. Travellers from Canada, the United Kingdom and the European Union are exempt from the emergency order. All visitors are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test from a referenced lab, taken no more than 10 days prior to the date of travel.

Since opening borders to international travel on July 1, The Bahamas has unfortunately experienced a deterioration in conditions relative to COVID-19. These restrictions have been put in place to protect the health and wellbeing of both residents and visitors, which remains of primary importance, and to prevent the spread of the virus throughout The Bahamas.

The Bahamas is reviewing and being guided by the most effective practices from around the world. Reopening of borders will continue to be monitored and guided by The Bahamas government and health officials, based on COVID-19 trends.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

Yes the loss of cruises will be devastating to the economy but so will a major outbreak of Covid. The Bahamas simply can’t afford a Covid situation like the one in the US.

Certain ports are still rebuilding the last round of hurricane damage. And we're headed into Atlantic season now. COVID+hurricane would be pretty bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter