Baggalini vs. Overland Equipment vs. Travelon Crossbody vs. Piazza Day Bag?

pinkgirlmommy

Mouseketeer
This is our first family trip to WDW and my second time but it has been 15 years, so I am trying to get prepared. I have been reading tons of threads about recommended bags and there are so many opinions! I was wanting opinions/comparisons on some specific bags! I have a Vera Bradley Hipster on the way as well as a Baggalini Messenger, but I am looking at a few more options as well so that I can try them all out and decide. I have a 5 and 10 year old, so will only hold stuff for the 5 year old which will include her and my hoodies, sunscreen, camera, 4 extra batteris, my cell phone, refillable mugs, bandaids, cash/ cards, and ponchos. Not sure what else yet, but I am thinking a medium bag will be good. Any thoughts/comparisons on these bags?

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/auburn/140200?productid=10218946

http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/special-edition-bayliss/207477?productid=10118493

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-react-small-crossbody/276967?productid=10311752

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-react-medium-crossbody/276968?productid=10311755

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?lastSearchTerm=piazza+day+bag

Honestly, none of those bags look big enough to carry 2 hoodies plus a couple of refillable mugs.

Got to agree with the pp. I'm not sure any of these are big enough for that. I'd leave the refillable mugs in the room and then I think you might have enough room in a larger one. I would also consider simply tying the hoodies around your waists or neck and shoulders instead of cramming them in the bag. Those are your biggest space hogs and I think then it really opens up your options. If you go with Travelon, let me know as I've been eying those for an upcoming trip to Europe!

The Travelon messenger might be able to carry all that you said, but really, if you have a small messenger bag, it might do the same without having to buy one.

I do agree with PP - Sounds like you're carrying a lot. I think your children can get by with a lot less than you are planning to carry. For instance - to go to the park (not a theme park, but your neighborhood park) - what do you carry? I wouldn't bring much more than that.

Sweater seems like a good idea, but if she takes it off, she can carry it, tie it around her waist, etc. If you plan well, and it's thin, it might fit ok in a small bag you carry.

I'm saying all this as a notorious over-packer. But from what your said, I'd ditch the refillable mugs (you can't refill them at the parks anyway - just get a paper cup if you need a drink!), ponchos if rain isn't forecasted. Everything else should fit easily into the baggalini messenger.

But from what you said, I'd ditch the refillable mugs (you can't refill them at the parks anyway - just get a paper cup if you need a drink!)

I don't know if this was the OP's plan, but I like to take my refillable mug to the parks so that I don't have to back to my room to get it and then bring it back to the food court for a drink when I get back. (And I do usually want a snack and something to drink when I get back because I stay until closing, which means it's been a few hours since dinner. ;))

I bought the Baggallini messenger "Bagg" (that's the style name - there are lots of different styles) for my WDW trip last year. I love it! Has exterior pockets for my cell phone and my water bottle, and plenty of other pockets for all of my stuff. I was worried that it would be too small, but I really like it. And it's very comfortable to wear, at least for me. I highly recommend it!

Honestly, none of those bags look big enough to carry 2 hoodies plus a couple of refillable mugs.

I just re-read the original post - I agree that if you want to carry two hoodies and two mugs, you would be better off with a backpack. It would probably be more comfortable than an overstuffed messenger bag.

:) You can rent a locker at any park. I think they may be about 12.50 or so a day. If you switch parks you keep the receipt and do not have to pay again. At end of park trip that day you get a refund for part of the fee. You will need to research this a bit...I am sure my info is old. We are DVC and so always have a small fridge. Don't the rooms all now have a small fridge. If so, I would keep drinks in there, or go get some ice at the machine. Lugging those mugs will get old. I typically carry a Vera Rachel or Franny, sometimes mini hipster. Backpacks have always been too much to worry with. I can certainly understand your interest in planning and having a small bag to carry with cell phone, cards and money. It isn't so much carrying the bag when you are simply walking place to place. It is the hassle of taking it on and off for rides, to sit and eat, gets heavy on one shoulder then the other, etc. I think after the second day you will ditch the mugs, tie the sweaters around your waist and hit the parks...

Now have I used the "we are going to Disney" to get some cute bags...oh absolutley!! ;)

My Baggallini was perfect for carrying water, camera, phone, etc. For the bigger stuff, I'd rent a locker. It's no fun lugging a heavy or large bag through the park.

This is our first family trip to WDW and my second time but it has been 15 years, so I am trying to get prepared. I have been reading tons of threads about recommended bags and there are so many opinions! I was wanting opinions/comparisons on some specific bags! I have a Vera Bradley Hipster on the way as well as a Baggalini Messenger, but I am looking at a few more options as well so that I can try them all out and decide. I have a 5 and 10 year old, so will only hold stuff for the 5 year old which will include her and my hoodies, sunscreen, camera, 4 extra batteris, my cell phone, refillable mugs, bandaids, cash/ cards, and ponchos. Not sure what else yet, but I am thinking a medium bag will be good. Any thoughts/comparisons on these bags? http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/auburn/140200?productid=10218946 http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/special-edition-bayliss/207477?productid=10118493 http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-react-small-crossbody/276967?productid=10311752 http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/anti-theft-react-medium-crossbody/276968?productid=10311755 http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?lastSearchTerm=piazza+day+bag

I carried the piazza day bag last year and liked it. Bought a Ful this year but may let DD carry it and take my day bag again!

I recently got the Baggallini Messenger Bag (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L15UY4K/ref=twister_B004DGJOWC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) when it went on sale on Amazon for a recent trip and I could not have been happier with it. I loved the little pocket on the strap to stick my phone in and that little bag could fit a lot! I do agree that it will probably not fit two hoodies and two refillable mugs, but it does fit a lot! I was amazed (as were my friends) how much stuff I was able to tote around with us when we went to the parks! If you do want to bring extra clothes and the mugs, a locker may be your best bet as a PP stated. I've used the lockers many times and always had a good experience and never had any issues when I went to another park that day with my receipt (don't lose the receipt!!). Another tip I heard from another thread of a family that was staying at one of the values resort, is that they rent a locker near the main pool and stick all their mugs in their. Then when they get back from the parks later that day, they don't have to go all the way back to the rooms to get the mugs. Just a thought!

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
I recently got the Baggallini Messenger Bag (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L15UY4K/ref=twister_B004DGJOWC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) when it went on sale on Amazon for a recent trip and I could not have been happier with it. I loved the little pocket on the strap to stick my phone and that little bag could fit a lot! I do agree that it probably not fit two hoodies and two refillable mugs, but it does fit a lot! I was amazed (as were my friends) how much stuff I was able to tote around with us when we went to the parks! If you do want to bring extra clothes and the mugs, a locker may be your best bet as a PP stated. I've used the lockers many times and always had a good experience and never had any issues when I went to another park that day with my receipt (don't lose the receipt!!). Another tip I heard from another thread of a family that was staying at one of the values resort, is that they rent a locker near the main pool and stick all their mugs in their. Then when they get back from the parks later that day, they don't have to go all the way back to the rooms to get the mugs. Just a thought!

Enjoy your trip!

just curious. i have this bag and tried it recently on a park trip. i am confused tho because it seems more designed for wear on the back than crossbody. do you use yours crossbody in front? i wound up using a fanny pack to lighten things up but i would rather use this bag because of all the capacity and pockets, just not sure how it is supposed to be worn. thanks for any info.

just curious. i have this bag and tried it recently on a park trip. i am confused tho because it seems more designed for wear on the back than crossbody. do you use yours crossbody in front? i wound up using a fanny pack to lighten things up but i would rather use this bag because of all the capacity and pockets, just not sure how it is supposed to be worn. thanks for any info.

This is my go-to bag for the parks for my last 6 trips...and yes, it's designed to go on your back but I find it swings around easily to the side or front, if need be, when you are sitting on rides.

I used the overland donner bag on my first trip but found the strap rubbed on my neck.

For me the Baggallini holds my water bottle in the side pocket, a thin hoodie along with a few bags of snacks, sunscreen ponchos, etc. on the inside while still giving me room for a few small purchases. The back pocket that lays flat on your back is perfect for park maps and the front pocket is great for money, tickets, lip balm etc.

I agree, leave the refillable mugs in the room. While in theory sipping your coffee while waiting for the bus or not having to walk back to the room seem great, it's a bit of a pain to lug them around the parks all day. The lighter you can pack the better off you are...and remember the more stuff you cram in there the longer it takes security to look through it at the entrance.

As I told my friend on our last trip...we aren't going to deepest, darkest Africa. And OP, your 5 year old isn't too young to carry his own bag! Those draw string bags are great for kids. A hoodie and maybe his own sunscreen would be great in them. And that way if he wants to buy anything in the parks he gets to carry ii instead of Mom.

Now that DS is older, I forgo carrying a bag and just put necessary stuff -- DS' meds, contact eye drops, hand sanitizer/wipes and a small wallet --- in pockets of my cargo shorts.

Hi! I am answering the purse question after just skimming thru some of the above answers. My tip for you is this: do not pack/take much in to the parks!! You will regret it! Travel as light as possible. I have learned this lesson after many trips to Disney. The refillable mug is only refillable in at your hotel. One things I have learned over time is, you can get free water at the quick service places in all the Disney World parks. The only problem I had with this was at Disneyland once. When you get your food, just ask for large cups of water w/ice. I was a little shy about this at first, until I learned it is fine. You don't actually have to ask while ordering food. You can just walk up and ask for the water! Whatever you do, do not pay the expensive price for bottled water. As for sunscreen, you can get little sunscreen holders (sometimes you will find them attached to bottles of sunscreen you purchase) with a clip on them. You can clip that to your bag or purse. With the new magicbands, you almost do not need to carry credit cards, etc. in to the parks. I agree with someone above who said tie the hoodie jackets to your waist. We usually go for spring break and although the weather is usually really nice, it can get coolish still. Especially if you stay late in the park, it can get downright cold. We each take our jackets w/us. Or you might try a locker at the front of the park. I have Baggalini and Vera Bradley hipster bags. Love both. Because of a bad back, i now travel lighte. Carry a good camera though, you do not want to miss all those great photo ops. Disney photopass folks are not what they used to be, so although they may be able to get a few harder to achieve shots, I would not rely solely on them. When you make purchases if you stay on Disney property, they will send the purchases to your hotel. One of the many perks of staying on site. If your kids are able have them carry a small backpack, maybe w/their autograph book, etc. Just do not let them load it down. I swear to you lighter is best! Again, no need to even carry a water bottle, I promise.

I always bring my overland Donner bag unless I bring one of the disney Lesportsac bags. Whatever feels better for you is the right choice.

We put sweatshirts, mugs, etc. in a backpack and rent a locker. After 40+ trips this seems to work best for us. I do usually carry a VB crossbody with my glasses, phone, tissues, and whatnot.

I have had this bag for 10+ years.... (still hasn't worn out) but I have always found it to be ultra roomy, and I swing it to either front,back or side depending on the moment, also can switch shoulders easily. FWIW, I am done using this bag. My size/stature and this bag have always been a bit of a struggle, the buckles along the strap always hit me in uncomfortable spots. My last trip,last month was too much, my shoulder is still sore. I used it anyway all these years b/c
#1 I am cheap, and I had paid 15.00 and had to get my moneys worth:rotfl2:
#2 it holds a phenomenal amount of things in a small bag
I am trying a small vera bradley backpack for my next vacation (to anywhere) instead.

I have found that Kohls and Boscovs have a lot of options for cute inexpensive cross body bags. I am like the mom in the diaper commercials that started out with the expensive diapers being all anal retentive about clean hands then for the second kid hands him over to the mechanic to hold while she writes a check. Our first time at the World I carried a ginormous backpack with anything and everything you could imagine inside. (My kids were 8 & 10 at the time). By the time we went on our last trip (kids were 13 & 15) I had pared it down to a very reasonable cross body bag. I like to carry a bit of cash and a credit card with me for fear of overcharging things to my room then having to take out a loan to check out. I carry ibuprofen, hand wipes, dry face clothes and my phone. Our next trip is in June so I will have to carry something a little larger to accommodate water bottles and maybe some dry socks.

I have this bag and I wear it in front. I am uncomfortable having it in back where I can't see pickpockets etc. (not that I have actually ever seen a pickpocket...) and also I like that I can sit down without having to take it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter