Bag Checks

Jeuce

Forever Lost in Wonderland
We're heading to WDW in May for our kiddos (2&4) first trip. I AM SO EXCITED! We are staying at OKW, so we'll be bussing to the parks each day and will have our double BOB stroller with us. I would like to organize our stuff into packing cubes (one for snacks, one for extra clothes, one for first aid, etc) to be easy to grab and also easy to throw into a large empty bag when we have to fold the stroller up for the bus. The packing cubes are mesh on one side-so pretty easy to see into them, but is security going to want me to open up every one of them when we enter the park?

Great strategy. I have always done the same except with gallon size ziploc bags.
No, they will not make you open up each bag each time. The stroller will go through a separate line, bypassing the metal detectors and will be visually inspected. They may ask you to unzip or move the bags from the basket or they may not. You may consider keeping the cubes in your backpack until you are through security and then loading them into the stroller just to avoid that. If you carry them through in a backpack they won't make you open unless you get detected (usually a phone, charger, glasses case in your backpack).

Great strategy. I have always done the same except with gallon size ziploc bags.
No, they will not make you open up each bag each time. The stroller will go through a separate line, bypassing the metal detectors and will be visually inspected. They may ask you to unzip or move the bags from the basket or they may not. You may consider keeping the cubes in your backpack until you are through security and then loading them into the stroller just to avoid that. If you carry them through in a backpack they won't make you open unless you get detected (usually a phone, charger, glasses case in your backpack).
Oh, good point on just keeping everything in the backpack until we get into the park! We will do that!

We're heading to WDW in May for our kiddos (2&4) first trip. I AM SO EXCITED! We are staying at OKW, so we'll be bussing to the parks each day and will have our double BOB stroller with us. I would like to organize our stuff into packing cubes (one for snacks, one for extra clothes, one for first aid, etc) to be easy to grab and also easy to throw into a large empty bag when we have to fold the stroller up for the bus. The packing cubes are mesh on one side-so pretty easy to see into them, but is security going to want me to open up every one of them when we enter the park?
That’s hit or miss. I’ve had them just kinda glance in the bag and then I’ve had them open EVERYTHING (wallet, pill holder) even when it was in plastic ziplocks.

Also with the new “you’re not waiting IN line, you’re just waiting” be prepared to be waiting a while until they decide it’s your turn

One thing DW started doing after DD came along and we actually took a backpack into the parks was to try to figure out what was setting the detectors off, then toss that into the basket of the stroller. What we found was that out of everything that we packed, it was the water bottle that would most often alert.

That said, like a previous poster mentioned, you still sometimes get that overzealous cast member that goes through every single bag/pocket.

Agreed, we pack the ‘usual suspects’ in their own little bag, which one person carries through the detectors solo, and we just drop that little bag back in the backpack afterwards. That way only the suspect bag has to be searched and it goes quickly. Things I’ve had set off the detectors include,: umbrella, glasses and case, battery charger, metal water bottle, coins for the penny presses.

That’s hit or miss. I’ve had them just kinda glance in the bag and then I’ve had them open EVERYTHING (wallet, pill holder) even when it was in plastic ziplocks.

Also with the new “you’re not waiting IN line, you’re just waiting” be prepared to be waiting a while until they decide it’s your turn
Can you share a bit more about the 'you're not waiting IN line" bit? That is definitely different from the last time I was there in 2016

Can you share a bit more about the 'you're not waiting IN line" bit? That is definitely different from the last time I was there in 2016
I was there October 2023. Remember before where if you had a bag there were several tables and you just lined up on either side and security checked one on their left and then one on their right. Now if selected there is a table ahead with 2-4 security workers spread across it. There is a line on the floor a couple feet in front of the table. You are just told to wait behind the line and that you are not IN A LINE, they will call you when ready. Several times I’d think it was my turn and step up only to be told to step back behind a line and they would take people just walking up and tell me “it will be my turn in a minute.”

Overall I was very disappointed with the attitudes of security. They were also not accommodating to my mother in an ECV and almost mocked her that she couldn’t walk through a scanner—she can’t.

I don't have strollers or large bags, so my reply may be moot. For the past year, I just walked through the scanner with my crossbody bag. Once in awhile, I was asked by Security to enter a separate line for a thorough bag check AFTER the scanner.

One thing DW started doing after DD came along and we actually took a backpack into the parks was to try to figure out what was setting the detectors off, then toss that into the basket of the stroller. What we found was that out of everything that we packed, it was the water bottle that would most often alert.

That said, like a previous poster mentioned, you still sometimes get that overzealous cast member that goes through every single bag/pocket.
Yes! For me the only thing that ever sets off the detectors is my external battery so I just started tossing it in the stroller before we went through security and never got "pulled over" to have my bags searched again. I also always keep water bottles in the stroller basket. The main goal is to not get pulled over for extra screening because that is when they will make you open up every single thing. Another tip in this regard is that if you have two bags, put one in front of you and one behind you (or have someone else carry the second bag) so that they only have to search one bag.

I am kind of surprised that this hasn’t been said yet, so I did want to throw this out into the discussion. But, if you are bringing something into the park that might set off the detectors, then you should remove it from your bag and carry it out in front of you as you go through the detectors. Think zombie walk but you’re holding an umbrella and a battery pack. Then, they won’t set off the detectors and they won’t even have to search your bags! You do need to hold them away from your body, but I have carried through many an item that “should” set off the detector like this and haven’t had an issue.

My list of items that we have found set off the detectors…
1. External battery packs
2. Digital camera
3. Aerosol sunscreen
4. Hand warmers (it wasn’t even 40 degrees that day, don’t judge me lol)

Glasses cases with magnets set off the detectors - a nice security person at Disney told me to just take my glasses case out of my backpack or purse and hold it in front of me as I walked through the detector and that would prevent me from having to be searched since they'd be able to see it in my hands. Since I've done that I haven't had any issues setting off the detectors.

I am kind of surprised that this hasn’t been said yet, so I did want to throw this out into the discussion. But, if you are bringing something into the park that might set off the detectors, then you should remove it from your bag and carry it out in front of you as you go through the detectors. Think zombie walk but you’re holding an umbrella and a battery pack. Then, they won’t set off the detectors and they won’t even have to search your bags! You do need to hold them away from your body, but I have carried through many an item that “should” set off the detector like this and haven’t had an issue.

My list of items that we have found set off the detectors…
1. External battery packs
2. Digital camera
3. Aerosol sunscreen
4. Hand warmers (it wasn’t even 40 degrees that day, don’t judge me lol)
Yes but then it becomes: I have 2 power banks, a metal water bottle, my pin trading lanyard I’m not allowed to wear, an aluma-wallet and my phone. Last time I checked, I am not an octopus.

After like our 6th trip with our son we finally figured it out lol. For us it’s always sunglasses/case, metal
Button they give you if it’s a soecial
Occasion or sunscreen (cause we bring spray and it’s in a metal can.)

As we are walking up we put those (and anything else we may have that we think could possibly set it off) in the top of the stroller that way it doesn’t set it off. They ask us to open the cases sometimes but most just flip the pouch open and close it. The stroller is no fun lugging but a gift for storage and stuff like that lol

Side note: Also VERY disappointed in security as well. Zero consistency and they are very unfriendly 75% of the time.

Last trip my son was sleeping in the stroller (he was 4) and we were waiting our turn behind another stroller with a little girl dressed as a princess who looked to be the same age (and awake) Security guard looked at their stroller and told them to go.

My turn comes and he insisted I had to wake my son up to walk through the metal detector (they need to get this rule straight, one way or another) I said very politely sir my sons sleeping, and hasn’t had to get out our first two days and the security guard acted like I just attacked his honor lol and angrily replied all kids who can walk have to. At this point I was pretty annoyed and simply replied “except princesses I guess” he stopped for a minute and it must have clicked cause he got very quiet very quickly and went from being very confrontational to not wanting to have anything to do with me.

Yes but then it becomes: I have 2 power banks, a metal water bottle, my pin trading lanyard I’m not allowed to wear, an aluma-wallet and my phone. Last time I checked, I am not an octopus.
Hey, no need to get all up in arms over this (pun intended haha). I was just trying to provide some information that might help out folks who may not have known to take those items out of their bag and carry them as an alternative to setting off the detectors.

If I may, if I were in your situation, this is what I would do. First, I have only ever visited the parks alone once, so I am almost always with someone else and we can more easily divide our items/bags. What I would do if we had quite a few items that could set off the detectors, I would put them all in a clear ziploc bag (except for the water bottle, I would carry that separately for fear of leaking in the bag) and hold the bag and water bottle out in front of me as I went through the detectors. I might still set off the detectors because of those items, but having them all in a clear bag should help expedite the search process. In this situation, I would also make sure that I am not the one carrying our park bag so that the only things they will need to check will be my person and the clear bag as opposed to our backpack as well. Plus, the clear ziploc can be easily unpacked and folded up into our backpack so that it isn't in the way the rest of the day.

Again, I am just trying to throw out ideas to hopefully prevent the dreaded beep and being asked to step aside to have a security person go through your stuff. Is there a sadder sight than having all but one person in your group make it through security and watching them wait to be wanded and the bag searched?

Hey, no need to get all up in arms over this (pun intended haha). I was just trying to provide some information that might help out folks who may not have known to take those items out of their bag and carry them as an alternative to setting off the detectors.

If I may, if I were in your situation, this is what I would do. First, I have only ever visited the parks alone once, so I am almost always with someone else and we can more easily divide our items/bags. What I would do if we had quite a few items that could set off the detectors, I would put them all in a clear ziploc bag (except for the water bottle, I would carry that separately for fear of leaking in the bag) and hold the bag and water bottle out in front of me as I went through the detectors. I might still set off the detectors because of those items, but having them all in a clear bag should help expedite the search process. In this situation, I would also make sure that I am not the one carrying our park bag so that the only things they will need to check will be my person and the clear bag as opposed to our backpack as well. Plus, the clear ziploc can be easily unpacked and folded up into our backpack so that it isn't in the way the rest of the day.

Again, I am just trying to throw out ideas to hopefully prevent the dreaded beep and being asked to step aside to have a security person go through your stuff. Is there a sadder sight than having all but one person in your group make it through security and watching them wait to be wanded and the bag searched?
Sometimes it's easier to go to bag check most of the time.

It’s not an easy job, they have a huge responsibility and they have a reason for everything they do. What may seem unorganized or hit and miss, isn’t. Security is taken very seriously and the processes and systems they use are guarded.
Like any security check point, they have to be ready for anything, you never know what can be approaching with what, maybe why they aren’t the jovial welcoming committee at all times. They don’t know who you are or what your intentions are.
They are just doing their job and they do a heck of a job at it. I always give them a thank you or a thumbs up walking by, not expecting a reply or a reaction but they heard me.

It’s not an easy job, they have a huge responsibility and they have a reason for everything they do. What may seem unorganized or hit and miss, isn’t. Security is taken very seriously and the processes and systems they use are guarded.
Like any security check point, they have to be ready for anything, you never know what can be approaching with what, maybe why they aren’t the jovial welcoming committee at all times. They don’t know who you are or what your intentions are.
They are just doing their job and they do a heck of a job at it. I always give them a thank you or a thumbs up walking by, not expecting a reply or a reaction but they heard me.
Sorry but it IS hit or miss. One security person ask a person in an ECV if they can walk, hearing an answer of no and then asking the ECV user to lean forward, lean backward and run their hands over their shirt is very different from another TELLING the person they HAVE to walk through the scanner, even when explained the last part. I guess they are scared of my 60 year old mom with debilitating sciatica where she cannot walk with a cane. If she isn’t in an ECV, she’s using a rollator.

Please see my first post on this thread if you haven’t. I travel with someone in an ECV, that in itself is a nightmare with these security inconsistencies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter