bad news, good news, bad news - siding suggestions?

pantherlj

DIS Veteran
DH and I decided to paint the outside of the house instead of hiring. $2500 for pros, $300 or so for paint. Great (although lots of work). Siding looked a bit funny in a few spots so we thought about replacing a few boards.

We get a flier in the mail a week before going to buy the paint. Call us, your siding is bad - we will get you money. ugh.

Turns out the siding on our house is under some class action suit. The guy thinks our house is really bad (mildew/mold under some spots). He thinks we will get about $5-$7K after all the back and forth in court and their cut.

He thinks new siding will be about $12K.

So bad news the siding is ruined, good news we will get some money out of it, bad news that it won't be enough to replace it all.

Stinks that we just won't get what it takes to make it right.

Would you go with vinyl or hardiboard? other?

We have Hardiplank. We got it because vinyl siding used to come in very limited colors, and I had exact paint colors in mind. The paint has held to it beautifully.

With either it, or vinyl, you'll need to powerwash the exterior from time to time, so neither is maintenance free. I guess it just comes down to $$ and personal preference.

I'd contact your insurance company. We had ours out after a storm to look at our roof and because they knew about an class action suit about our shingles (which we didn't know) they covered the new roof completely. It doesn't hurt to ask. The insurance company will then go after the manufacturer and you cut out that middle man.

If it's Masonite siding on the class action, they are out of settlement money.

In NC, if the quote to side your house is 12K, you really need to get more quotes.

We have vinyl siding and like it. A pressure wash every other year keeps it looking like new.

One of my friends wanted to get vinyl siding but found out that it's not allowed per her HOA rules.

So if you have an HOA, you'll need to make sure what type of siding you can have.

I'd use the computer and search out info on the siding and lawsuits....and cut out the chunk of $$ the middle man would pocket!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter