Back from Poly 4/28-5/4 Any questions?

sandym718

DIS Veteran
This was our first family trip, first time at the Poly. OMG, is it gorgeous!!! I was sooooo happy with our choice to stay there, it is a wonderful resort. The landscaping, the torches, the beach, etc. etc. It really felt like a relaxing haven after the parks. We got our request - 1st Floor, Tokelau (got room 1922). We checked in at 8:30 am on the 28th, called at 1:30 to see if room was ready, it wasn't. I started to get a bit antsy, as our kids usually nap at 2 or 2:30. It was ready at 2:30 when I called, so they were down for naps by 3:30 I think. Worked out fine, as our dinner ressie was a bit later that night - 6:05, and right there at Kona.

We loved Tokelau, convenient to everything. Loved the first floor room, would do that again. DH and I sat outside every day at nap time, if we wanted sun we just pulled the chairs out into the grassy area our patio looked out on. Cute ducks walking by each day, they were not a hassle. Just a few steps off the patio and we could see the Lagoon, Castle, Space Mountain. Only very minor problem, people above us also seemed to come home in the afternoon - but naps must've been for the parents as the 2 young children seemed to be unattended on the balcony for 1-2 hours! We had a few problems with them shooting water guns (water blew back on me getting my book wet) and throwing food and garbage over the rail so it was landing on us. They also hung their kids swim vests on the edge, so the water was constantly dripping on our patio - we couldn't sit in that area (I'm sure this was inadvertant, I would've done the same thing!). I did have to ask the boys to stop a couple times (nicely). One day they persisted and I had to "threaten" to go up and talk to their parents.

That was the ONLY "issue" - and not even really one- we had at all!!

again, the grounds are just stunning. My kids both LOVED the volcano pool, I think that was DS's (almost 5) fave part. he must've done the slide over 100 times! DD did it too (she's almost 3). They were allowed to wear their Speedo swim vests on it and we were allowed to "catch" DD at the end. I use quotes, b/c it would be very hard b/c of the current to literally catch them before they hit the water. We just stood nearby to help her get out of the current a bit before she swam away. Lifeguards had no problems with parents there, they did direct any kids swimming by bottom of slide to move away. DD used a watering can and other small pool toys in the shallow area - no problem.

Watching Wishes and the Electrical Pagaent from the beach or hill was great! Convenience on the monorail cannot be beat, especially with taking a mid-day break. Kids really loved the monorail.

Food-wise we had dinner at Kona which was FABULOUS! (See my dining report) We also used Captain Cook's for some lunches and snacks. DH fell in love with Dole Whips, I adored their chocolate crossaints.

Hmmm...trying to think of anything else... It is really just wonderful, heaven on earth. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else now, which is a bit of a problem as this was a real splurge vacation for us! Guess we'll have to save our pennies!!

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!! I got so much help here, I'd like to repay the favor!!

Welcome back and I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time!! Even with youngin's above you not being supervised properly by their parents.

Hi Sandy,

We're going to the Poly this July and I'm so happy that you had a great time. I can't wait! I do have a stupid question about the hallways though... are the ceilings really that low? I'm seeing alot of Poly hallway pics, and the ceilings don't even look like they are 8 feet.

Thanks,
Simon :)

Hi Simon - they are pretty low, Maybe 8 feet, I'd guess 7 though. I did notice it but how much time do you really spend in the hallway? So it wasn't a big deal, but I did notice it.

Thanks for your mini report! We are staying poly in Nov for the first time, and i am so excited!!

Great report, thanks for sharing :thumbsup2

I am checking in next week for the first time. Reports like these make me even more excited!

Thanks for the tirp report. Reading yours reminded me of when we were on the bottom floor and the people above us would throw the cigar butts down and land all on or around our patio. YUK. Just rude I guess. Water would not have been bad from the vest.

Glad you had a great time.

Can't wait !!!!!!! 2 weeks today!

We just got back from a one night stay on the 29th of April. Magically upgraded to conceirge woohoo :wizard: and we spent the evening of the 29th dining at Kona's YUM and watching the Little Mermaid movie on the beach then the boat light parade followed by Wishes. What an amazing evening. The next day just hung out at the pool all morning and early afternoon till our magical express bus left :(

A few pics I took that day (april 30)...

pcon2.jpg

pcon3.jpg

adis8.jpg

adis9.jpg

adis10.jpg

Stacey - yep, self-serve Dole Whips at CC's. I never got one myself, but I think DH just "paid" for one using a snack credit, then they give you a clear plastic sundae-type cup and you fill it up yourself. Believe me, he REALLY filled his as high as he could.

Kimysbug - we had a standard garden view room. If you just stepped on the patio, towards the edge of it, or out onto the grass, you could see the lagoon, castle and Space Mountain. I don't think I'd ever consider paying more. I know some of the 1st floor rooms have shrubbery all around them, though, so I guess we got really lucky to open up onto what was basically a lawn. It was so nice, the kids would go play on it with DH, too, while I finished getting ready for dinner or whatever. I think we got a GREAT location!

Derek - great pics!! We were probably swimming at the Volcano pool at the same time! I even looked in the background of your pool pic, but I don't see us!

Thanks for your great report! It has always been my dream to stay at the Poly, and we are finally staying for the first time in August. :cool1: After reading your report, I REALLY can't wait!!! :)

Thanks to everyone above for the great photos. Also to OP, the info about the pool slide with younger kiddos.

My Dh and I were in Orlando on buisness in Jan2007 this year w/o kiddos and ended up at SSR and fell in love. But on our own ticket, no way $$$! (we'd need 2BR due to #guest)

We were able to "tour" a lot of other resorts and had dinner at O'Hana's. I remember thinking if only we could stay here someday . . .well,

September 2007 here we come! It may be a "one and only trip" since the sell to DH included FD and we have a 6th person who doesn't count (she'll still be 2 this year) so I am so excited to be able to have this one time trip.

Thanks for all the super info and especially the pics, I eat them up! Maybe an obsession as my DS just walked by and said no, I do not want to see another picture of a hotel room! :rotfl:

sandym718........this is so funny. We got to the Poly on 5/2 and stayed in Tokelau, my inlaw's arrived on 5/4 and stayed in ROOM 1922! What a small world. We loved Tokelau!

This is funny! Such a small world, they checked in after we checked out! I adored that room. When we return someday, I would try to request again a room on the first floor along that stretch of rooms. It worked so perfectly for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter