• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"BACK" from OKW - photos added on page 5

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
We arrived last night about 6:30pm. We ahd a great flight from Indy and got in a few minutes early. DME had no line and we had a 15 minute wait before leaving MCO. Our bus had guests staying at OKW, SSR and PO-FQ/R. They stopped at OKW first.

Check-in was easy - again, no line. We had gotten an email from Owner's Locker while waiting to board our plane. No mention was made at the desk so I asked at the Bell stand. After a quick check they informed us that our locker had already been delivered to our villa. They did find our groceries from Garden Grocer so everything was there when we arrived.

Our Owner's Locker came with 2 purple T-Shirts along with instructions about a photo contest they are holding thru the end of the year - so we're trying to creatively think of what to do for the contest. The winner gets $250 in Disney Dollars! The letter explaining the contest said that everyone using the service thru the end of 2007 will get the 2 shirts and the invitation to enter the contest.

Our villa is in great shape. Everything is clean. We have a 2nd floor 1BR in building 24 with a fairway view.

We walked a couple of miles this morning - along the Trumbo canal to DD and back. Temperature this morning was 65 with no wind and blue skies.

We have a Wine Pairing scheduled at Coral Reef this afternoon - one of the F&W special events and we hope to catch the Mickey Thomas (Starship) concert at the "Eat-to-the-Beat" series at the American Pavillion Theater this evening.

We have another wine pairing set up for next week and plan to attend as many of the seminars as possible this week.

The resort looks pretty full - Olivia's was crowded last night both inside and outside and all of the tables near Good's were filled.

I will try to get some current photos of the CR construction next weekend when we have dinner at CA Grille. If I get a chance, I'll try to get over to AKV for some construction photos. (We were just there a month ago and I didn't take any pics at all :( ).

It sounds like a great start!

Are you allowed to ride bikes along the path you mentioned, along the canal?

Bobbi:goodvibes

It sounds like a great start!

Are you allowed to ride bikes along the path you mentioned, along the canal?

Yes. The walkway is paved all the way to DD and gets good use from walkers, joggers and bicycles. It is also used as a highway for maintenance vehicles traversing between SSR and OKW, but they are pretty cautious about guests.

The walkway begins behind Building 55 and passes the Treehouse Villas along the way. There used to be a number of exercise stations along the way, but they have been gone for years now.

We've seen otters in the canal and Osprey nests in the trees while walking long the pathway. Caskbill measured the distance from the start of the walkway to DD at .93 miles. We added about another 1/2 mile total walking from building 24.

The walkway is not lighted and signage states that is is closed after dark. Without the lighting, I wouldn't suggest taking the trek in the dark anyway as there are places where the footing is a little uneven.

Doc, the weather sounds wonderful. We (mother and I) will be there next week.

couldn't get any DVC resorts - still trying - so staying the entire time offsite. (this is not something I am use too)

is there still the free wining tasting in FW? if so- when and where is it? do you have to stay the entire time?

Thanks for the update Doc. Glad the weather is nice.

We are spending 10 days at AKV starting 10/19. Can you let us know how the crowds are when you can?

It sounds like you are having a wonderful arrival and weather. Keep us posted how the rest of your trip goes.

Thanks for the report! I'm a little concerned about that resort being so full during the F&W. My hope was that, since it's not an Epcot resort, that we wouldn't have trouble getting a 1 BR there at 7 months out.

Temperature this morning was 65 with no wind and blue skies.

When we there there last week, it was still hot, humid, and rainy. Glad the weather has changed. We're moving our trip next Oct to after Columbus Day so we'll catch better weather.

Yes. The walkway is paved all the way to DD and gets good use from walkers, joggers and bicycles. It is also used as a highway for maintenance vehicles traversing between SSR and OKW, but they are pretty cautious about guests.

The walkway begins behind Building 55 and passes the Treehouse Villas along the way. There used to be a number of exercise stations along the way, but they have been gone for years now.

We've seen otters in the canal and Osprey nests in the trees while walking long the pathway. Caskbill measured the distance from the start of the walkway to DD at .93 miles. We added about another 1/2 mile total walking from building 24.

The walkway is not lighted and signage states that is is closed after dark. Without the lighting, I wouldn't suggest taking the trek in the dark anyway as there are places where the footing is a little uneven.

I've never seen otters in the wild, here's hoping I see them too sometime. It's going to be awhile before my planned OKW trip, March '09, but I've ridden the boat along the canal, and thought it would be a lovely walk/bike ride, I'm glad it can be done.

Thank you.

Do you think a wheelchair could get along there? Just with the comment about the uneven footing.
Love the live reports :goodvibes Thankyou!

Do you think a wheelchair could get along there? Just with the comment about the uneven footing.

it could but unless you have one of those off road type wheelchair - you or whoever would be bounced around. So I won't suggest it.

certainly won't take one of the free ones that the resorts have along it. Don't think it would damage the chair - but you would definitely feel it.

We have taken DD in her wheelchair on that path. It's no more uneven than the normal paths at AK. My DD has a regular wheelchair with a gel filled seat, so she doesn't mind the rough paths. It would be pretty bumpy in on of the hotel and/or rental wheelchairs that have sling seats.

Which building are you in this trip, Rob? I love hearing reports from someone who is satisfied with their villa! WE seem to be hearing teh worst lately, although we have not had issues.

Sounds wonderful. :thumbsup2

As to the Otters, I was told that in no uncertain terms they "prefer" OKW and if you wish to see them, you will have to stay there. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter