Baby sitting pay???

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
Hi, I am a Mom of a teen and I have a question for all you babysitters out there. What is the going rate? My daughter babysits for 2 girls. They are 8 & 9., they live on our street. She watches them on a Friday or Sat night. Last night she watched them from 6:30 till 1 in the morning & they gave her $20. I am trying to tell her they are taking advantage of her. She is going to be 15 in August..... Can anyone tell me what the average rate is while babysitting 2 kids? Thanks in advance... by the way..... we are headed to Orlando 7/20-27th. My daughter is brining one of her friends with her...anyone from here going in that time frame??? They may go to Universal's Groove Teen night.....

hi. for my babysitting rate it depends on who i baby sit for. i baby sit for a family of two kid ages 10 and 6 and they pay me around 30 for4-5 hrs. but the 10 yr old is a special needs child so they pay me more for that. when i baby sit for a family of 3 ages 12, 10, and 2, when they pay they do it mostly for watching the 2 year old. they always kind of had, b/c the older two doesnt need constant care or watching them every given moment. They will go off and do other things. and at night there in bed so your not doing much there. two nights ago i just baby sat for the 2 yr old...from 6:00-1:30 and i got paid $25. if it was the two older, when they were younger,(they dont really need to be watched anymore) it would have been around that amount your daughter got. So i really think the money that your daughter gets is about right. i would say maybe $25 at the most she should be paid. you just have to remember that 8 and 9 year olds doesnt need to be watched all the time and are capable of taking care ofthemselves. oh and also if you think about it this way, if the kids go to bed around 9-10, shes only watching them for about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hrs. and the rest of the night she would be sitting around and watching tv or something. if she was actually watching them for the full 6 1/2 hrs. then i would think she should be payed more.

I used to charge $2 per kid per hour, but the parents usually just gave me more. Anything past midnight is prolly a bonus. She can prolly charge $5 per hour.

My 13YO DD babysat for a 6YO girl and almost 4YO boy last night from 5:00 - 11:00 p.m. and was paid $35.00

She fed and bathed them, washing their hair too. I think it just depends on how much the sitter does. I always had my kids fed and bathed when I hired a sitter so the sitter never had to do much. Also, the older the kids the easier it should be and pay adjusted accordingly.

for family i give then a discount but for non family i charge 3.00per kid per hour!!! that is about how much a lot of people charge and stuff!!!

Thanks for the input. The girls my daughter watch don't go to bed early! One of them is ADHD & is always doing something she isn't supposed to be. They want my daughter to entertain them constantly. Once they even asked her to go out & play in a big dirt pile behind the house.....at night!!! She didn't allow them to do it. She has caught them putting things in the microwave to see if they "blow-up". She has caught them going thru the parents dresser looking for money. They aren't "easy" 8 & 9 yr olds. I have a 10 yr old who dosen't like to play with them because of the way the act sometimes. If it were an easy sit down & watch TV, I don't think her pay would be bad, but it isn't. The other night one of my daughter's friends stoped by & had the car in the driveway & one of the girls kept hitting the car with a basketball on spite... that explains what type of kids these are.......... anyway... thanks again.

I get $3 an hour but one time the couple I babysat spent all of their money at the bar so I got nothing....DONT DO THAT! I dont watch for them anymore because they never paid me back. But I watch a lil boy every other weekend and I get $60 for the two days....good money :)

I've been babysitting since I was 11 and I'm 16 now, and a lot of families have come and gone, with some staying longer than others :) Here are a few of the rates I remember getting from them...

*Family with three boys (5, 6, and 9): $4-5/hour

*Family with two girls (10 and 6) and a boy (5): $6/hour

*Family with two boys (5 and 2) and a girl (8): $7-8/hour

*Family with one girl (6): $7/hour

*Family with one girl (4): $10/hour

I still babysit the last family mentioned - they're great people and pay EXCELLENTLY...they're also very rich :)
Also, most of the families would round up to the nearest $5 mark...for instance, instead of being paid $18 or $23, I would get $20 or $25.
Experience is the best thing for a babysitter. One time I took the family of 2 boys and a girl to a play group get-together and a dozen moms there got my phone #, leading me to the next two families. Word of mouth is excellent exposure for those who love to babysit :) Those moms love to gossip! lol...

well iam mrs.piglets daughter iam 16 and all next week i have to baby sit 2 kids 6 and 9 from 7am to 430 pm they r giving me 135$ i think that is fair but if your daughter baysitted till 1 in the morning she should get more than 20 bucks!?!?!? one time i babysitted from 5 pm to 2 am and i got 65 dollars i think that was fair? i hope your daughter believes you bye bye:rolleyes:

I want to thank you all again for your input. I do think that my daughter is being taken advantage of. I will have her read these posts. I also want to add that the parents HAD wanted her to watch the kids all summer as well... M-F from 8- 5:30-6:00 for $75 a week! I said no to that .... now they leave the girls alone all day with no sitter. I think $5 p/h would be fair but when it comes to after midnight....she should get more. There were 2 weekends that they wanted her from 6:30pm to 2:PM the next day. I would not allow that either. I want to say they were going to pay her only $40 for that! Again thanks a bunch and happy sitting ;)

Originally posted by A Mickeyfan
There were 2 weekends that they wanted her from 6:30pm to 2:PM the next day. I would not allow that either. I want to say they were going to pay her only $40 for that!

Wow...I had to babysit overnight a couple of times and they always paid me $100 plus $5 for every hour I was there, which usually totaled around $175-$200...they are definitely ripping off your daughter. Maybe all of y'all should sit down and set a fixed rate? Hopefully things will work out...

she's getting ripped off...i dont have a set price...but its usually around 5 bucks an hour..so i'd get paid like 35 to 40 dollars..plus if its real late most parents through in a bit more. But i also know its really hard to come out and say pay me more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter