"B" Bunch - Golf in the Kingdom

figmentvi

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Lightning Rod Extra
Cast:

Me – Obsessed with Walt Disney World
Chuck – Puts up with my obsession

A brief apology, for taking so long to post the rest of our trip reports. I have been working on a large project at work and just ran out of time and energy at the end of the day. So here we go again…..

December 14 –

As some of you may remember, our children and grandchild left yesterday (boohoo) and so now it's "Our Time".

Chuck and I have an 8:00 am tee time at Eagle Pines this morning and I worry when I look out our window and don’t see anything. Wait a minute I know Disney World was here when I went to sleep last night. Where did it go? What I was "not" looking at, was a dense fog that had settled in during the night. Hmmm, I wonder what it will be like to hit a little white ball into a fog bank and attempt to see where it goes?

We drive to Bonnet Creek and into Eagle Pines/Osprey Ridge Golf Club. These are beautiful courses, Chuck and I had the pleasure of playing Osprey Ridge two years ago and were looking forward to trying Eagle Pines.

When we pulled up to the Clubhouse, we noticed a LARGE line of carts in what was obviously the start of a tournament. When we asked the pro what was going on, he explained that there was a tournament for Disney Execs from all over the world. How cool. We paid our greens fees and walked out back to our cart and there we ran into Mickey, Goofy and Pluto in their very dapper golf togs. Along with the characters, there was an eight piece combo playing “Zipadee Doo Dah”. These guys know how to throw a tournament. But, wait that wasn’t all….. just as Chuck was about to take his first swing, the Starter told him to hold off for just a minute as the tournament was going to have a shotgun start (players go to various starting holes and someone shoots a shotgun signaling the start). “OK”, Chuck says, when suddenly, Boom, boom ba boom boom. Not just your average shotgun start. Noooooo, Disney has to shoot off fireworks in the morning. What a place!!!! LOL.

We had a very pleasant round of golf, what an absolutely beautiful course. For those of you who are high handicappers like DH and myself, don’t worry. The course is not as tough as it looks. After golf, we shopped in the Pro Shop and spent a jillion dollars on gifts of shirts and hats. I HAD to get a Minnie club headcover.

We had decided to give ourselves a little treat and I made appointments for Chuck to get a massage and me to get a manicure at the GF. Everyone at the Spa was gracious and accommodating. This kind of treatment is a little on the pricey side, but what the heck. Now that we were seriously relaxed and jelly kneed, we went back to WL for a rest. We had a big night ahead of us with dinner at Wolfgang Pucks and Cirque de Soleil.

After a brief rest, we headed to Downtown Disney for our night of food and fun.

Chuck did a little Christmas shopping at Virgin Mega Store and I waited outside. While sitting on a bench outside the store, a very large, fancily decorated bus pulled in from the parking lot in between buildings and parked in front of House of Blues. I assumed correctly that it was Warren Zevon who was performing at HOB. Chuck and I were really upset when we heard that he was playing at HOB and we already had tickets to Cirque. We're big fans. While watching the bus maneuver, I had this terrible urge to howl "AhhhOooooh Werewolves of London!!!" But, I restrained myself.

We had a 7:00 pm PS at Wolfgang Pucks and were seated immediately at a lovely table near the windows overlooking the lake (very romantic). Folks, the food and service were incredible. Excellent menu with very “different” offerings. Highly recommend this restaurant. The only drawback was when I mentioned to our server the 20% discount we were supposed to get by using our American Express card and showing our Cirque de Soleil tickets, he looked at me like I had three heads. I sent him to check with the manager, and he came back with the same response, “never heard of this discount”. When I got home from our vacation, I doubled checked the discounts page on DIS, and sure enough it’s there in black and white. I should have pushed the issue a little more, but was not into hard negotiating while I’m on vacation (that’s what I do for a living). I suggest that if anyone is going to take advantage of any of the discounts mentioned on this site or any site for that matter, print out the page and take it with you.

On to Cirque !!!!!! Chuck and I first saw Cirque du Soleil in 1986 in Miami. They were just starting to tour the country and were not well known. We became immediately enamoured with this troupe. They have not only not “let down” their performance level, but increased it. What an incredible show !!!! Words cannot describe the sights and sounds that are beheld during a Cirque show. There is constant movement and music. Well worth the rather high ticket prices.

Ooooh yawn, back to WL and my losing battle with a miserable cold.

Tomorrow, lazy day.

Loved your trip report.. Especially the bus pulling up and you restraining from belting out Werewolf in London, lol.. I have had that discount problem not at that restaurant but somewhere else and I do not know how to rectify it. I will try and figure that out, maybe we can for others..or maybe someone has a suggestion..

Mac-key Mouse QOBGOC
dancecindy.gif

<font color=red>Coordinator of the First Annual Official Dis Convention </font>

Mac-key:

You know, as I was writing my report I remembered seeing Amex brochures at cash registers throughout WDW. The brochures listed the benefits of using Amex in WDW. I kick myself now, because all I needed to do was whip out one of those little puppies and the waiter would HAVE to give me the discount. Our bill was over $120.00, so 20% would have been a significant savings. I had no real problem getting the discounts on shopping in DD. I guess the moral of the story is, "if it's in writing somewhere, bring it with you."

How cute the start of the gold game started. Sounds like a relaxing day. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter