Awesome non time share properties to stay at?

Happy Artist

Earning My Ears
With all that is going on, I cancelled our VRBO house near Disney that had a private Jacuzzi and pool. I have been reading rumors of some of those businesses are going bankrupt and people with future reservations are not getting their deposit back. We are going around Christmas 2021. My "kids" are 24 and 25, so having a third bed would be needed. Is there a nice resort that doesn't charge Disney deluxe prices? We could like a place to relax by the pool and the kids would like a lazy river or slides. Any clue? I don't want a time share. Bonus point if you know somewhere that would allow a small dog. Thanks :)

Hilton Buena Vista Palace near Disney Springs has lazy river.
Universal Studios Cabana Bay Beach Resort has lazy river and perfect family suites! Going tomorrow!!!

As I understand what you mean by non timeshare... we stay at a timeshare property with out the meeting and pressure that comes along with that. The reason we stay there is the price and what we get for that price.
Sheraton vistana resort... we pay about $700 for a week. Two bedrooms living room full kitchen washer dryer. One year my price was from Costco vacations the other year I used skyauction.com. They will ask you if you want to come to a meeting trying to tempt you with giftcards etc. Just say no thankyou and move on. Its not a big deal. Yes you can bring your dog.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread-key-links-on-p-1.3148502/Pics and reviews

We stayed at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek and really liked the resort. They have a nice pool with a water slide as well as a lazy river. Whether you look at this resort or others, keep an eye out for cheap rates given the current situation. Things hopefully will be better by the time you go, but you might be able to lock in a good rate that is cancelable if you book relatively soon. Also, look into a suite for more space. It might be cheaper than the regular rooms at an on-site property.

I’d wait and book 30 days out. I think a lot of people are not going to travel this year for various reasons so there should be last minute vacancies.

I always look at diamondresortsandhotels. We always tend to book at Grande Villa, it has A 3 bedroom option. No water slides but close to everything. I use AAA pricing and can cancel a day ahead of time. It is also very convenient to all the parks.

So many of the nicest resorts for the best prices are timeshares (most suggested to you in the posts here are -- Sheration Vistana, Bonnet Creek, Diamond Resorts (Cypress Pointe / Grand Beach). We done lots of these renting on Redweek.com or TUG2.net from an individual timeshare owner (not a timeshare promotion) or retail from the resort directly or booking.com (did a booking on booking.com last December for one of the Diamond Resorts, Cypress Pointe). Rentals from a timeshare owner usually need to be a Fri - Fri, Sat - Sat, or Sun. - Sun. stay and don't have as much flexibility to cancel. From the resort directly or booking.com non-refundable rates come at a discount and there are also for offsite suite hotel prices the option to cancel more last minute.

Of the timeshares type resorts, the Diamond Resorts have lots of three bedrooms (Cypress Point, Grand Beach) and might be good ones to look at when going the three bedroom route, something that it sounds like you want to do. Bonnet Creek and Orange Lake (newest River Island section) are the main ones I know of that have more of a waterpark type area than just really nice pools/hot tubs.

As others have said, we never do timeshare presentations and just say no to any kind of resort tour with breakfast, etc. (timeshare sales presentation in disguise.). We also never pickup the coupon book at the welcome desk, which is an opportunity for someone to sign you up for a timeshare.

The owner rentals are closer to VRBO prices; The retail rentals are closer to offsite suite hotel type prices. Both are wayyy less than onsite resort prices or Disney condos at Disney or Universal.

These timeshare places have more of a resort feel than an Windsor Hills type community, and we like that a lot. We've done the house rental too, though, sometimes if we've wanted five bedrooms or something like that all in one unit.

Suite Hotels are another way to go, but usually a two bedroom/two bath is the largest you will get with one unit. They aren't as spacious as the timeshares, won't have a patio/balcony, washer/dryer in unit, etc. but are pretty nice. One of these type properties that is huge that we have stayed at a lot is the Marriott Residence Inn SeaWorld. It includes breakfast and has a nice pool area / hot tub, not a water park though. We usually request to be close to the lobby area for quicker walks to breakfast and the pool, bar / retail food place.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Lake Buena Vista Resort Villas and Spa. It is a time-share, but I just told them I was not interested and that was all. I think I might have been asked twice, but it wasn't a strong pressure. I would stay there again if it worked out. It was very close to WDW and not a bad drive to the USO area.

I think your kids would enjoy Orlando World Center Marriott. Great water slides! This is NOT a timeshare, but I think the parking and resort fees are a little high though. We have a Marriott timeshare ("vacation club") so we would book one of the three timeshares connected/near World Center Marriott for free access to the Marriott pools/slides etc. We like having a kitchen, bedrooms, free parking, laundry...but I understand not wanting timeshare. There are just so many great ones in Orlando that aren't outrageously expensive. If you do book one, they'll ask if you want to attend a presentation, decline and enjoy your trip.

Hilton Buena Vista Palace near Disney Springs has lazy river.
Universal Studios Cabana Bay Beach Resort has lazy river and perfect family suites! Going tomorrow!!!
Thank you for suggesting a NON timeshare. Let me know how it goes!

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista a couple of years ago. We got a 2 bedroom suite which had a king bedroom and then a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds, each room had their own bathroom. It has a kitchen area and living room area that separated the two bedrooms. There's a decent pool (nothing fancy), a laundry room, great free breakfast buffet (I don't know how they're running things since COVID). Only drawback was we were on the third level and there's no elevators. We got quite a bit of exercise in that week. It's close to Disney Springs (right down the street from the back entrance off Hotel Plaza Blvd). It was under $200/night and we earned IHG Rewards for the stay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

We loved The Grove Resort when we went last year
I don’t know if it’s a timeshare but we definitely never heard any pitch sales!

With all that is going on, I cancelled our VRBO house near Disney that had a private Jacuzzi and pool. I have been reading rumors of some of those businesses are going bankrupt and people with future reservations are not getting their deposit back. We are going around Christmas 2021. My "kids" are 24 and 25, so having a third bed would be needed. Is there a nice resort that doesn't charge Disney deluxe prices? We could like a place to relax by the pool and the kids would like a lazy river or slides. Any clue? I don't want a time share. Bonus point if you know somewhere that would allow a small dog. Thanks :)
You can rent a unit in a timeshare resort directly from an owner like you do for private homes. Also, some timeshare owners also advertise their units on VRBO. I have found that by "renting from an owner" I receive the benefits of the owner without a timeshare sales pitch. Did you already know that? I was wondering because why would you want to "avoid" a resort with all the extra amenities that a timeshare resort provides?

One resort I recommend to rent from an owner is Westgate. I always rent from owners and I get the owner breakfast, and poolside barbecues included. No timeshare sales pitches except for when picking up keys they will ask if you wat to do a tour since you don't own. All you say is no thanks and keep moving. They will not hound you since you are a guest of an owner. As a Westgate owners guest, I also receive free onsite amenities such as mini golf, bike rentals, and paddle boat rentals without a fee. Also, their onsite waterpark is free if you are the guest of an owner that owns at Town Center or Vacation Villas. They give you the admission bracelets at check-in. Also, your room key card will say "owner" and you use it to get access to the amenities without a fee. Westgate also has 3 bedroom units without having to make someone sleep on a sofa bed. In the Vacation Villas, they have a 2 bedroom with a loft. The loft has 2 twin beds, a closet and TV. It overlooks down to the living room. Its pretty neat for teens and young adults.

Another one is HICV Orange Lake-River Island has the slide and lazy river. Stay as an owners guest that owns in River Island and you get their amenities included. I prefer the pools in North Village and West Village. If staying in West Village I prefer the Tennis Villas since they have screened patios. North and River Island has them too. The low rise units in West village have open patios which I do not like. I believe all villages have 3 bedroom units except for low rise units.

Of course, let's not forget about Wyndham Bonnet Creek. They have a lazy river at Building #5 which happens to be my favorite building. I don't think they allow pets, but I do recall seeing someone staying on my floor with a small Pomeranian dog.

Regal Palms in Reunion has 3 and 4 bedroom units. Regal Palms is more private owner feel. Some people actually live at this resort. I stayed there once. It was nice, but I prefer actual resort companies in comparison to private owners. I just feel like the bedrooms in private homes lack the hotel/resort quality. Regal Palms lazy river has a nice "current" running thru it that carries you along the winding path at a nice pace. Also, Reunion Resort by Wyndham and/or Encore is a good one. Both of those have lazy rivers. Encore has private homes too. I've heard that there is a new private home resort community called "Story Lake". I watched some of the highlights on YouTube and it looks pretty nice. It has a huge slide and I believe a small lazy river.

Anyway, I am thinking since plenty of cancellations took place in 2020, there are going to be owners who have lots of unused inventory of weeks and points they will need to use or lose. Therefore, there should be some pretty good deals out there for 2021. I don't think Orange Lake allows pets, but I know Westgate Town Center/Vacation Villas allows them. I believe pets are allowed at Regal Palms too. There are plenty of options out there. Thanks for allowing me to share my info and experiences. I didn't get to go on vacation this year. We cancelled due to COVID, but sharing my knowledge and experience has been very therapeutic. I hope 2021 will be better for everyone.

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista a couple of years ago. We got a 2 bedroom suite which had a king bedroom and then a separate bedroom with 2 queen beds, each room had their own bathroom. It has a kitchen area and living room area that separated the two bedrooms. There's a decent pool (nothing fancy), a laundry room, great free breakfast buffet (I don't know how they're running things since COVID). Only drawback was we were on the third level and there's no elevators. We got quite a bit of exercise in that week. It's close to Disney Springs (right down the street from the back entrance off Hotel Plaza Blvd). It was under $200/night and we earned IHG Rewards for the stay. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
I had no idea that the Staybridge Suites had 2 bedroom units. And here I thought I knew EVERYTHING!!! :joker: Whenever we go we usually fly in a day or so before checking into a timeshare resort. It saves on airfare and gives us a little extra time in Florida. We have stayed at Radisson in Celebration(Now called Grand Orlando Resort), Seralago, Red Lion, Buena Vista suites for a night or two. Now that I know Staybridge has those accommodations, I will add it to our short stays list. We wanted to stay somewhere new. We wanted to try Embassy Suites, Drury Inn & Suites, and now Staybridge Suites. Thanks for sharing. :thanks:

Thank you for suggesting a NON timeshare. Let me know how it goes!
I am curious on why you want a NON timeshare? What are your concerns that you feel you would NOT like? I have a feeling that your misconceptions are NOT based on personal experience but instead are based on personal "assumptions". One main misconception is that you have to attend a presentation and that is NOT true.

Residence Inn of Lake Buena Vista has been our go to resort when not staying on Disney property. Their two bedroom suites are usually one king suite with bath and the other suite is two queens with a bath. Both bedrooms have their own TV. Between the two bedrooms is a living room with a sleeper sofa with a bigger TV. Also, there's a full size kitchen.

The pool is not a lazy river, but we are satisfied with it. It's large enough to keep your social distance. Their included hot breakfast use to be the best. Now, with Covid I'm pretty sure it's changed to a cold breakfast.

The resort allows dogs for an extra fee.

They use to provide a bus shuttle to Disney and Universal. How that's working now you would have to call to verify any new procedures.

You are pretty close to Downtown Disney. It's pretty easy driving your own car to the parks.

This resort is not eligible for 60 day advanced Disney fastpasse, only 30 days.
Right now, that's a non-issue anyway.

Last edited:
Some great deals right now for Waldorf Astoria and newly opened JW Marriott

Somehow it seems strange to see the words "DEAL" & "WALDORF ASTORIA" in the same sentence. :laughing: But I have to admit, now is the time to visit "over-budget" places. There are many deals and discounts due to pandemic. But personally, I don't care how economic or expensive the rates are...a room with only 1 or 2 beds and a bath is not my idea of vacation for more than 3 days with more than 2 people traveling. There seems to be a need for space for the OP party size. Parents and adult children working remotely. There is a definite need for SPACE and privacy that a one room hotel cannot provide unless everyone has there own room practically. A 2 or 3 bedroom timeshare unit or vacation home can give them that space. Full living room, dining room, and separate bedrooms will be considered a necessity. I still can't imagine why they want a NON-timeshare considering all the extra amenities. The suspense is killing me. :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter