Avoiding I-4

maroonmom07

Earning My Ears
We will be arriving in Orlando in the morning of June 4. This is our first experience with driving...have always flown. My friends tell me that I-4 is a nightmare, and it will take me a very long time to get from Jacksonville to Orlando. Is this true? Any suggestions? :moped:

It's not a nightmare just a lot of construction. Take your time and tell yourself you are on vacation and you will be just fine.

I keep reading this, but it's really not that bad. We drive every trip and haven't run into any problems here (knock wood). It's, maybe, 2 hours from Jacksonville to Orlando. Where are you driving in from?

We're coming from NC. Plan to drive half to three quarters down after school on the 3rd, and come on in on the morning of June 4. Thanks for your encouraging words!!

I was just in the area last week taking I-4 from Daytona to Disney and back a few times. The only construction of note is just south of the city where the new John Young Parkway ramps are being built. Depending on the time of day, this backup can differ greatly. If you are arriving around rush hour, I'd suggest that you take the route 417 toll road at Sanford around to Disney. It costs about $5 in tolls ($2/$.50/$50/$1/$1 as I remember), but is usually a straight shot with no stops except for the tolls. The only other construction on I-4 last week was some night work on the northbound lanes in Orlando near the downtown that had some left lane closures. It didn't create any backup, just a slowdown to about 45 mph at the merge.

maroonmom: we drove from NC last year and did exactly what you are planning--left after school, drove to Kingsland and then in on June 4th--but our June 4th was a Friday.

I hate I-4, but when we arrived--about 11:30 am, there was no problem. I would hope that driving in on a Saturday would work.

If you get to Universal and find the traffic is just horrible, exit at Sand Lake, take a right off the interstate, then a left at the first stop light--this is a great road and I've never found it very busy--it turns into Palm Parkway--Palm Parkway comes into Apopka Vineland road just above Crossroads Shopping Center--near Downtown Disney. Good Luck!!

For us to get to WDW we have to take I-4. My advice is to make sure you are NOT driving pass St. Mary exit at rush hour. Rush hour traffic can get a bit bottlenecked from St. Mary to Kaley. If you are traveling at an off time, you should have no trouble.
Usually my drive to WDW is 45 minutes. One day last month it took us 2 hours with a bottleneck on I-4, from 5pm til 7pm.

well you could in Jacksonville take I10 and come down I75 - but this will take longer....

spiceycat said:
well you could in Jacksonville take I10 and come down I75 - but this will take longer....

We take A1A just south of the FL Welcome Center to 301 to I75 to the Fl Turnpike. It takes maybe an hour longer than I95 to I4, but it is a pleasant drive compared to the two interstates.

NCRedding said:
maroonmom: we drove from NC last year and did exactly what you are planning--left after school, drove to Kingsland and then in on June 4th--but our June 4th was a Friday.

I hate I-4, but when we arrived--about 11:30 am, there was no problem. I would hope that driving in on a Saturday would work.

If you get to Universal and find the traffic is just horrible, exit at Sand Lake, take a right off the interstate, then a left at the first stop light--this is a great road and I've never found it very busy--it turns into Palm Parkway--Palm Parkway comes into Apopka Vineland road just above Crossroads Shopping Center--near Downtown Disney. Good Luck!!

Since you did this last year...do you have any suggestions as where to stay that first night on the road? Jacksonville? Daytona? I haven't made any reservations yet. Thanks!!

There is construction at Exit 118 in Deland, and from exit 108 to 114 in Deltona, but most of it is at night. Rush hour on I4 can be a major pain, but it normally starts between SR 434 to Orlando, sometimes from Lake Mary Blvd. If you are on I4 from about 7-9am I would opt for SR417 from Sanford to Disney. Yes it's a toll road but it is usually smooth sailing.

Once you get past Orlando city, you have construction at John Young Parkway.

When I am going to Disney from Deltona, I will use I4 after about 9:30am and use 417 before that or between about 3-6pm. Other than that it's usually not too bad.

YMMV

maroonmom: we got a later start than I had hoped so we got to Kingsland, GA at 11:00 pm. We stayed at a Country Inn and Suites, which was fairly new. They offered a breakfast in the morning with some hot foods--biscuits and gravy, waffles, etc.

Kingsland is about 3 miles from the Florida border. We left at about 10am and arrived at OKW about 12:30 or so. (DH drives fast).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter