Avis standard suv....have I been baited and switched???

hookem91

Earning My Ears
So I reserved a class w standard suv Chevy equinox or similar for may 2012 from Avis. It says it fits 5 people and 3 large suitcases and 2 small suitcases. This is for $169 a week with the codes you all have been kind enough to share. However today I look online to make sure there ae no better deals. Now the site says the standard suv is a Ford Edge and only fits 5 people and 2 large suitcases and 1 small suitcase. Ummm....that won't work for my party. That isn't what I reserved and that isn't what is detailed in my email reservation (it actually says how many people and suitcases I am supposed to be able to fit in the car they give me for $169). So I called and they have no clue. The rep thought I am going to get a ford edge and I said that isn't what my paperwork says and she said just bring the paperwork. I emailed Avis to find out what the deal was and have not heard back. So do you think I should chance it and show up with my paperwork and demand an suv that fits 5 people and 3+2 suitcases for $169 if whatever they give me doesn't fit us all??? Or do u think I will get screwed and be forced to pay for a Tahoe at like almost a thousand a week?

So I reserved a class w standard suv Chevy equinox or similar for may 2012 from Avis. It says it fits 5 people and 3 large suitcases and 2 small suitcases. This is for $169 a week with the codes you all have been kind enough to share. However today I look online to make sure there ae no better deals. Now the site says the standard suv is a Ford Edge and only fits 5 people and 2 large suitcases and 1 small suitcase. Ummm....that won't work for my party. That isn't what I reserved and that isn't what is detailed in my email reservation (it actually says how many people and suitcases I am supposed to be able to fit in the car they give me for $169). So I called and they have no clue. The rep thought I am going to get a ford edge and I said that isn't what my paperwork says and she said just bring the paperwork. I emailed Avis to find out what the deal was and have not heard back. So do you think I should chance it and show up with my paperwork and demand an suv that fits 5 people and 3+2 suitcases for $169 if whatever they give me doesn't fit us all??? Or do u think I will get screwed and be forced to pay for a Tahoe at like almost a thousand a week?

Is this for the Orlando Airport? I would just show up with your paperwork, they should have a vehicle to accomodate you. A smaller location might not.

A Edge and Equinox are in the same class. The luggage capacity is an estimate, it is not guaranteed in your contract, this is different from seating capacity. Luggage is very uneven in terms of size, one person's large, could be another's medium, which is part of the reason it's an estimate.

Remember, all vehicles described are or similar unless you actually book a make/model reservable. You could take your paperwork with you and try to demand, but if the fleet is comprised of only Edge's, what do you think they will do, they will give you an Edge. You will have little room to negotiate a free upgrade. That said, MCO is large, they will have more then one type of vehicle in this class during most times, so you'll have room to probably choose a different vehicle.

I've rented both and I believe that the edge has more room.

Aside from that, the equinox is a rolling blind spot.

I think the Edge is actually slightly bigger than the Equinox. And I don't see how you could ever get the advertised amount of luggage in an Equinox. 3 large suitcases & 2 small ones? Guess that depends on your definition of "large". IMO, you're not going to have that much luggage space behind the seat of any of the 2-row SUV's. That's more like what we have in our Acadia (which is way bigger than Equinox or Edge) with the 3rd row folded down flat.

Edge is bigger. Why would you worry about how many suitcases you can take? I would be more worried about seats for people. bags can sit on laps if need be. It isn't like you are going to be driving around with suitcases in your car the whole time you are on vacation.

Sarah

I own an Equinox. It does fit five people but the three in the back row will be very cramped if they are all adults. I often put two teenagers (16 and 17 year old boy) and a small 9 year old in the back and they are all usually miserable if it is a longer trip.

In my opinion it is highly unlikely to fit three large suitcases and two small suitcases in the back. Of course this does depend on the actual size of the suitcases but I would not be able to put three of my large suitcases in the back.

Good info. Makes me feel better. We are 4 adults and a 5 year old. So the grandparents and DS will be in the back seat. Of course Avis is charging me like $85 for the booster seat....seems crazy that the booster seat costs half as much as the week long car rental. We will only be cramped to and from the airport. I will keep my hertz ressie for the Tahoe just in case. With USAA it is half of what they want at Avis. But hopefully we can find space to squeeze everything in on everyone's lap if we have to for the short drive.

Thanks for your advice.

At reservation I had an Equinox, at confirmation they showed an Edge, at pick up they gave me a KIA Sorrento. I was a little concerned as I was not at all familiar with KIA and the guy tried to up sell me a Ford Explorer for $15/day...I decided to give the KIA a try and glad I did...very nice car with 3rd row flip up seats suitable for under 12's.

Good info. Makes me feel better. We are 4 adults and a 5 year old. So the grandparents and DS will be in the back seat. Of course Avis is charging me like $85 for the booster seat....seems crazy that the booster seat costs half as much as the week long car rental. We will only be cramped to and from the airport. I will keep my hertz ressie for the Tahoe just in case. With USAA it is half of what they want at Avis. But hopefully we can find space to squeeze everything in on everyone's lap if we have to for the short drive.

Thanks for your advice.
$85 for a booster seat ...wow that is crazy.
I think I'd just stop by the local Walmart and buy one for $25 and then just leave it behind when you leave (but then I'm kinda cheap).
Walmart Supercenter - is located at 5991 New Goldenrod Road, approximately 4 miles northeast of Orlando International Airport

We have a 2012 Equinox (just bought it 2 weeks ago). We have room for our 3 teens in the 2nd seat (including my 6 foot tall high school senior son) and lots of room for luggage. The bench seat slides forward and back, so you can make more room for luggage if needed. We have ours all the way back and it's very comfortable for my teens. We're about to road trip in it tomorrow and we'll take at least 4 big rolling duffels, several smaller bags plus the dog in his bed and it will all fit in the cargo area without any issues.

I road in a coworkers 2011 Ford Edge yesterday and thought it seemed almost identical in size.

I think I'd just stop by the local Walmart and buy one for $25 and then just leave it behind when you leave (but then I'm kinda cheap).
Walmart Supercenter - is located at 5991 New Goldenrod Road, approximately 4 miles northeast of Orlando International Airport

That, or I'd bring my own.

OP, check out the Bubble Bum booster. Weighs a pound, is a booster, is easy easy easy. It's a funky little thing developed in the UK (where standards, I've heard, are far stricter than in the US for carseat use) and has worked great for my son (6 at first use, now 7).

I'm glad BrerMaMa has good luck with the 2nd row but our experience is quite different with our 2011 Equinox as noted above. My teens are large as well both 6 feet tall -- one football player and one hockey. They are miserable back there for anything longer than an hour or so.

That, or I'd bring my own.

OP, check out the Bubble Bum booster. Weighs a pound, is a booster, is easy easy easy. It's a funky little thing developed in the UK (where standards, I've heard, are far stricter than in the US for carseat use) and has worked great for my son (6 at first use, now 7).

I agree. When my DDs were young, I purchased cheap boosters at wal-mart before our trip for less than $30. :thumbsup2 I used a small suitcase to pack the boosters in (although you could use them as carry-ons as well). That way I had them at airport when we picked up the car. They were so inexpensive, I could have left them at Disney if I needed the extra luggage space. We ended up keeping them as they were handy for keeping in the back of the car for driving friends. Our local laws require boosters up to age 8.

This +1 or bring your own low back booster! You can check it free of charge on most airlines or bring it onboard and put it in the overhead or under the seat in front of the child and again it doesn't count as a carryon.

If you don't mind me asking, what code did you use to get that price?

If you don't mind me asking, what code did you use to get that price?

AWD S768500 gives you an intermediate SUV for 149 or standard SUV for 159 per week. I combined it with the $30 off coupon found in the Avis site (works with the Intermediate SUV but not the Standard).

To the OP, the car classes are estimates. You could get one of many models....

According to this Flyer Talk thread, here are the possible cars you could get in the two car classes: (I currently have the Dodge Nitro from Class F).

Class F: Intermediate SUV
Avis Example: Ford Escape
Dodge Nitro
Hyundai Tuscan
Jeep Liberty
Kia Sorrento
Nissan Rogue
Subaru Forrester
Subaru Outback
Toyota Rav4
Volkswagen Tiguan

Class W: Standard SUV
Avis Example: Ford Edge (2007 Ride Report)
Ford Explorer
GMC Terrain
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mercury Mountaineer
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Nissan Murano
Hyundai Santa Fe
Suzuki XL7
Toyota 4Runner

Thanks Bumbershoot. I just bought a Bubble Bum on amazon for $40. I had no idea such a thing existed. It will save me probably $85 plus tax minus $40 = about 2 checked bag fees on American Airlines and I can use it over the next three years on our trips. AWESOME ADVICE!

And with everyone else's advice on space I am confident we will all fit in the car....evenly snugly to and from MCO. Just have to cross my fingers they don't give away all their SUVs before I get there. That coupon code for intermediates and standards is great. Can't believe it will be that cheap for a whole week. I may keep my competing ressie with Hertz just in case they runout of vehicles. I can always cancel at the last minute if I don't have to use it.

Are Avis and Hertz close to one another if I have switch due to vehicle non availability?

Thanks Bumbershoot. I just bought a Bubble Bum on amazon for $40. I had no idea such a thing existed. It will save me probably $85 plus tax minus $40 = about 2 checked bag fees on American Airlines and I can use it over the next three years on our trips. AWESOME ADVICE!

And with everyone else's advice on space I am confident we will all fit in the car....evenly snugly to and from MCO. Just have to cross my fingers they don't give away all their SUVs before I get there. That coupon code for intermediates and standards is great. Can't believe it will be that cheap for a whole week. I may keep my competing ressie with Hertz just in case they runout of vehicles. I can always cancel at the last minute if I don't have to use it.

Are Avis and Hertz close to one another if I have switch due to vehicle non availability?

I hear you! I dropped off my rental in Phoenix this morning and my total for the week was $169 including taxes and fees! We had the Intermediate SUV.

Duds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter