Avengers Campus Strategy in the August Heat

megankj

Mouseketeer
I'll be at DCA with a friend (late 30s/early 40s) at the end of August, and I expect we'll want to spend a good amount of time in Avenger's Campus- doing the attractions, but also most of the shows, food/drinks, and just soaking in the atmosphere/characters/etc. Looking at the rest of our must-dos, I think we'll be there mostly in the afternoon and I'm worried about the heat and lack of shade.

If I block 12-5 or so on our "schedule" for Avengers Campus+, does it make sense to just mix in a couple things in Hollywood Studios whenever we have a lull and/or get too hot? I'm thinking that between Rogers The Musical, and then Turtle Talk/Animation Building, Philharmagic, and Monsters Inc (none of which are must-dos, but all nice A/C options), that might be the best approach. We'll have G+, and will probably hit GRR shortly before noon so will start off our time there cool.

Has anyone else approached it this way? Would you suggest something else? I know we can always hide out in the Grand Californian lobby if we are really feeling it, but with only one day I'd rather plan on in-park options.

Thanks!

Five hours seems like too much to me. The shows are short and there are only two attractions. The outdoor line for Web Slingers is tight. It is sandwiched between buildings and has little air flow.

Animation Academy lobby is a great place to sit and cool off, as is Philharmonic. Soarin is also a "cool" attraction.

If you are into Marvel, there is a large air conditioned store next to Monsters Inc. On the map, it is currently called "Super Store featuring Avengers Campus."

Five hours seems like too much to me. The shows are short and there are only two attractions. The outdoor line for Web Slingers is tight. It is sandwiched between buildings and has little air flow.

Animation Academy lobby is a great place to sit and cool off, as is Philharmonic. Soarin is also a "cool" attraction.

If you are into Marvel, there is a large air conditioned store next to Monsters Inc. On the map, it is currently called "Super Store featuring Avengers Campus."
Thanks! I'm totally fine if it's too much time, since we can definitely move on to other things. I'd just hate to short-change us, especially not knowing how frequently Rogers will be scheduled, what waits will be like, etc. I'm hoping that with LL we can avoid most of the outdoor line for WEBSlingers?

I figure we'll have a really busy morning and move quickly through attractions as quickly as we can, so the afternoon can be a lot slower paced. If we can find a shady spot (big IF, I know), I could even see us camping out for a bit with food (shawarma and/or giant pretzel?) and some drinks from PYM Tasting Lab, and just people/hero-watching for a bit.

The indoor shows where you can chill are great. I definitely fall asleep a bit in philharmagic because it feels so good to sit down and cool off.

I’d check the schedule of each of the mini shows a day or two before you go and try to plan out which ones you’ll do at what time, but they usually are just 5-10 minutes, so if they’re close together you can do back to back shows if you want. Then try to plan out when you’ll do the rides from there to fit into the show schedule.

If we can find a shady spot (big IF, I know), I could even see us camping out for a bit with food (shawarma and/or giant pretzel?) and some drinks from PYM Tasting Lab, and just people/hero-watching for a bit.
The larger seating area with tables is next to the Hyperion, in the area where the queues for the shows used to be. I assume they will need to find another place for that seating.

I can’t imagine spending five hours in Avengers Campus. Have you been there yet OP? It’s just not that big, even if you wanted to try to catch all the shows.

Do keep in mind that the Amazing Spider Man stunt show sometimes doesn’t run or skips showtimes, especially if it’s really hot out. So I would shoot to watch one of the earlier times, I think it starts at 10am.

I can’t imagine spending five hours in Avengers Campus. Have you been there yet OP? It’s just not that big, even if you wanted to try to catch all the shows.

Do keep in mind that the Amazing Spider Man stunt show sometimes doesn’t run or skips showtimes, especially if it’s really hot out. So I would shoot to watch one of the earlier times, I think it starts at 10am.

I’ve been once, and can definitely see that 5 hours is likely too much! I just want to be conservative in case we have a long wait for Rogers, or cut into that with lots of time ducking into nearby air conditioned attractions in Hollywood Studios. My friend has never been to Avengers Campus (his last DL/DCA trip was 5-6 years ago), and he’s a pretty big Marvel fan so I think it will be his favorite part of the park.

I can't see spending more than 2 hours there and I'm a huge Marvel fan.

I agree that 5 hours is alot of time to spend there. Aside from that, could you possibly go earlier in the day? When we were there last year the temperatures were in the mid-high 90s every day. We rope dropped DCA, and went to Avenger's Campus first. We were able to get alot done and it wasn't terribly hot yet. If you have to go in the afternoon, bring a sun umbrella or hats. You could step into Pym's for a drink. As you said, there isn't much shade. We ate lunch at Flo's in Carsland, and that was pretty shady. It's also very close to Avenger's Campus, so it would be easy to go over there for a little while.

I agree that 5 hours is alot of time to spend there. Aside from that, could you possibly go earlier in the day? When we were there last year the temperatures were in the mid-high 90s every day. We rope dropped DCA, and went to Avenger's Campus first. We were able to get alot done and it wasn't terribly hot yet. If you have to go in the afternoon, bring a sun umbrella or hats. You could step into Pym's for a drink. As you said, there isn't much shade. We ate lunch at Flo's in Carsland, and that was pretty shady. It's also very close to Avenger's Campus, so it would be easy to go over there for a little while.
We could go earlier if we had to, but knowing myself, I won't be able to actually relax and enjoy the less structured stuff until we have made a dent in majority of the attractions that we could move through quickly earlier in the day when LLs are pretty much immediate. Plus, I want to have some drinks at PYM Tasting Lab, and I'll feel gross if I start drinking too early, lol. If we've hit pretty much all the other musts prior to Avengers Campus (other than the ones that are dependent on dusk/dark), then I'll be able to be more spontaneous, which I think will work best for us.

That said, I might try to juggle the schedule and shift the block even an hour earlier, especially given the risk someone mentioned of the Spiderman show going down if it's too hot. Hopefully it'll be easier to envision once I can see what the typical Rogers showtimes will be!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter