I'm not surprised Disney bought the theme park rights to Avatar, it's a perfectly logical way to try and get that sparkle back that IOA/US took away when the WWoHP opened last year. What better way to make theme park attractions from the highest-grossing movie in the world?

Plus, I think when Cameron was shopping the first film around to studios, Disney was interested in it when Fox didn't appear interested in it. They were going to make an offer to Cameron when Fox exercised its right of first refusal to keep Avatar and Cameron in-house.

But I'm surprised Disney isn't pushing to have these attractions completed and ready by the time Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 come out in 2014 or 2015 (yes, Cameron is writing & directing both of them).

I'm not surprised Disney bought the theme park rights to Avatar, it's a perfectly logical way to try and get that sparkle back that IOA/US took away when the WWoHP opened last year. What better way to make theme park attractions from the highest-grossing movie in the world?

Plus, I think when Cameron was shopping the first film around to studios, Disney was interested in it when Fox didn't appear interested in it. They were going to make an offer to Cameron when Fox exercised its right of first refusal to keep Avatar and Cameron in-house.

But I'm surprised Disney isn't pushing to have these attractions completed and ready by the time Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 come out in 2014 or 2015 (yes, Cameron is writing & directing both of them).

I think it would short-sighted to rush the project to get it done in time for a movie release.

They need something that will draw crowds and entertain guests for decades after the movies are done -- not something tied to a specific movie release.

I think it would short-sighted to rush the project to get it done in time for a movie release.

They need something that will draw crowds and entertain guests for decades after the movies are done -- not something tied to a specific movie release.

Not to mention it would be WAY too short of a timeline for a project of this scale to be done with any bit of quality. Perfect example is look at Disney's Fantasyland work. Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid have not changed at all since the initial version of the expansion. Ground was broken over a year ago, and we aren't looking at them opening until middle or late next year at the earliest.

So figure at LEAST 2 years for construction. Probably a bit more since this is an entire land from scratch. That would mean that in order to hit a 2014 or 2015 opening date they'd have to break ground next year......

The Deal was just completed...which means EVERYTHING is still blue sky. They haven't even decided on which plot of land to put it on, let alone how it will be laid out, how it will look, what kind of attractions, shows, restaurants, shops, etc it will contain.... or the details of those individual elements. While they may pull some concepts off the infamous shelf, it still takes time to tweak the ideas and make them shovel ready if you want anything beyond another Chester/Hesters carny.

So I am perfectly happen with a 2015/2016 opening date. It gives Disney time to do things right the first time.

thanx for posting:thumbsup2i'm drooling over thought of exporing gringotts!

all I could think of when I heard the announcement was: Oh, no...another Prince Caspian/Chronicles of Narnia "ride" ....:rolleyes1
:laughing:
brings up the point that Narnia & Avatar both have overt religious overtones that could easily offend a good portion of their guests:confused3

I don't see why people get so offended. I love the Narnia movies and I am not of that religious mindset. I respect other people's beliefs and I don't get offended unless they try to convert me.

I don't see why people get so offended. I love the Narnia movies and I am not of that religious mindset. I respect other people's beliefs and I don't get offended unless they try to convert me.

Me too. I'm not religious. I get that Narnia is Christian allegory and some of it is quite heavy-handed. But a good story is a good story and I can enjoy it just the same -- and Narnia is a good story. The two films weren't nearly as bad as they were made out to be, either... I enjoyed them both.

I heard this as well, but there must be some sort of loophole since Epcot currently has one in Innoventions. I think it's called the Sum of all Thrills or something like that.

The Sum of All Thrills Kuka arm was NOT the one that Universal has exclusive rights for.

The one Universal has rights for is the 4-person one that can move along a track.

The Sum of All Thrills Kuka arm was NOT the one that Universal has exclusive rights for.

The one Universal has rights for is the 4-person one that can move along a track.

So it's that specific? Could Disney use, say, a 5-person one that can move along a track?

^Not sure. If Disney did take the robotic arm route, they'd have to deal with all the problems Universal is seeing with it. Long evacuation process, 48 inch height requirement, lockers and the seats don't accomodate everyone. I'm not saying Universal is bad, I love Universal. They took a huge step with FJ and it has turned heads towards their direction. It's just that Disney allows bags on everything, and it is known to have more size accommodating attractions.

So there is a loophole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter