• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AutoTrain Question

dydrmr81

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! :wave2:

I will be going to Disney in January, 2005. Currently, my BF and I are planning to drive straight through from Maryland, but I am wondering if taking the Auto Train would be a better idea. I checked online and it would cost $288 for the both of us, which is about what we had planned for gas, possible hotel and food for the trip down. I couldn't, however, find any info on how much more it costs for Amtrak to haul our car also. Does anybody know? Thank you!

Laura

The price of your vehicle is included in the total fare that you are quoted for auto-train. When asked, you have to input a vehicle type (auto, motorcycle, etc.) to get the price quote. So, the $288 ($419 for a standard sleeper, btw) is the total price you pay for a one-way trip next January.

Passengers without vehicles may not travel on auto-train, so you cannot be given a fare without a car included. If you didn't want to take your car along, one of Amtrak's conventional Florida trains would be more convenient anyway. Remember also, your dining car meals are included in the price, and the earlier you make the reservation, generally the less expensive it is.

Hello. My spouse and I will be taking the AutoTrain September of this year. As I recall, the cost for your vehicle is included in the Accomodations price quote.

For example, right now AAA-discounted, one-way Lorton to Sanford reserved coach tickets for two--including an automobile--would cost a total of 278.60. 140.00 of that is the cost for the vehicle (automobile).

Hope that helps. :)

I'd take the Auto Train any day over driving.

To date, we've taken the train twice and driven once, and I swear that I will never drive to Disney again!.

The Auto Train is comfortable, clean, and you don't have to concentrate on driving and trying to stay awake. You don't have to bother with finding a hotel room off of I-95 that's clean and safe. You can pack as much as you want to bring to Disney, and can buy as much as you want to take home (just make sure it will all fit in your car!).

Plus, you don't have to bother with car rentals and the hassles of airline travel.

Tip: If you bought coach seats, you can most likely upgrade to 'first class' at the Virginia station for a very reasonable cost.

drove straight thru from downtown disney to carroll county .md in nov2003.it took 14hours and 15mins.one stop for gas and food and stop for gas.kids had fallen asleep about half way home and did not want to wake them up .driving down again in sept of this year.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

The Auto Train does sound like it would be a HUGE help - hopefully our finances will allow it!

madhouserobey - thanks for giving me the total driving time for your trip. I was wondering how long it would take from MD. Driving through is definitely still an option, and 14 hours wouldn't be too bad...

Thanks again!

Laura

This thread was really helpful. I am thinking of taking the auto train down in Aug 2005 with a family of four. How did anyone get prices in the $200 - $300 dollar range for 2 people? Any special codes? That is an excellent price. I hope I can get something similar.princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter