Auto Train Discounts?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
Pricing out our trip for next year and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price for a roomette. Holy crap!!

Does the price generally go down if you wait to buy? Do they accept discounts like AAA?

At the current price, I can fly round trip to Disney 4 times.

I've seen a autotrain sale now and again over the past few years, although I can't recall with what frequency. I think we may have gotten a half decent deal on a one way roomette (flew down, we were bringing a car back) but now that we've done a roomette twice I don't I'd book that class of cabin again unless it was a really, really good deal since we've found the roomettes to be a bit cramped and tight for 2 adults (I'm 5' tall and my husband is 6'2").

Pricing out our trip for next year and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price for a roomette. Holy crap!!

Does the price generally go down if you wait to buy? Do they accept discounts like AAA?

I haven't booked train travel for a long while now, but AFAIK, Amtrak got rid of AAA discounts back in 2018. They should still have military and senior discounts. I seem to remember them listing on their website what discounts they did have.

At the current price, I can fly round trip to Disney 4 times
The longer you wait to buy your Amtrak tickets, the higher the price will be. This is assuming a discount doesn't appear in the interim, which has never happened for me.

There's a senior discount, if that would apply to you, but I don't think it covers the cost of the roomette, only the base fare. The roomette prices skyrocketed--to say the least--in the last 4 years or so, which is one of the reasons we stopped taking the train (although not the AutoTrain).

For several trips I checked the price for the Autotrain to see if it seemed like a good option pricewise. It never was. We prefer to drive the entire way (a little over 1,000 miles). Even with the cost of gas and hotel, it's still way cheaper for us to drive. And that way we arrive at Disney well rested and not in need of a shower since we stay in a hotel overnight rather than in a cramped roomette or worse yet, sitting in a train seat all night.

I've seen a autotrain sale now and again over the past few years, although I can't recall with what frequency. I think we may have gotten a half decent deal on a one way roomette (flew down, we were bringing a car back) but now that we've done a roomette twice I don't I'd book that class of cabin again unless it was a really, really good deal since we've found the roomettes to be a bit cramped and tight for 2 adults (I'm 5' tall and my husband is 6'2").
I wish there were more family rooms per car at times.
The man and I were comfortable in the roomettes but having to pay for 2 roomettes when a family room would do can be a tad annoying when we traveled with one kid.

I wish the auto train still has it's Florence, SC stop. I would love to use it one day just to say I did but it doesn't make any sense for me to travel up north to load my car on the train just so I can head south again 🤣😂

I have been getting emails from Amtrak for the last 6 years, hoping to see a good deal on the autotrain. The only sales I ever see are $20 seats on the train. You have to pay for the roomette and car separately. The price of the minivan, alone, is still more than flights would cost us, so we haven't gone in many years. It's a shame because the 2 times that I did take it, I enjoyed it. But it's so much cheaper to fly and rent a car or use uber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter